Confirmed with Link: Montour to FLA for 2021 3rd (FLA)

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Florida had loads of cap space and I doubt they had a team that was willing to give up a 2nd for Montour with retention.

Based on what. The results are in. Sabres could have eaten half his salary because they only used two of three exemptions. They chose not to do so again. It's not logical to believe Brandon Montour at 50% of salary is not worth more to teams than at 100% of salary. In a cap constrained world, this is everything.

It is Pegulas being stupid with their money. YET AGAIN. Sign up for paying Bjork instead of maybe eating Montour salary and jumping to a second. Management is just illogical.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Based on what. The results are in. Sabres could have eaten half his salary because they only used two of three exemptions. They chose not to do so again. It's not logical to believe Brandon Montour at 50% of salary is not worth more to teams than at 100% of salary. In a cap constrained world, this is everything.

It is Pegulas being stupid with their money. YET AGAIN. Sign up for paying Bjork instead of maybe eating Montour salary and jumping to a second. Management is just illogical.

You have zero evidence that the Sabres had an offer of a 2nd for Montour with 50% retention.

You are taking the narrative that the Pegulas are penny pinchers and applying it to this situation. That could be the case. Or, it could be a situation where a 3rd was the best offer the Sabres had for Montour. And maybe they send him to Florida because they didn't need to retain on him and a 3rd is a 3rd.

And looking around the entire league, no team received a 2nd rounder for a rental defenseman. And Savard was the only D to return a 1st.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Montour was a good player , the problem was Buffalo has too many puck moving D men and the roles were constantly changing . I don't believe they ever used him properly .

High event might be a better description than “good”. Shots happened when he was on the ice, both for and against. I hope he does well for Florida, nothing against him personally.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
We think he fits going toward because he’s developed into a good mobile defensive dmen who plays with a physical edge and will stick up for teammates. A skill set badly needed on this team

Borgen was ready to play in the NHL last year and was blocked from doing so by decisions Botts made. Specifically bringing in Miller/Joker and not moving out any of our dmen until the Scandella trade. Which led to us juggling/ carrying 8 NHL dmen for the bulk of the season (you could argue 9 dmen if you include Pilut) This year it was Krueger loving the “safe vets” like Irwin/Davison.

Bryson as also impacted by these things. It took our defense getting hammered with injuries this year for Bryson/Borgen to finally get a look.

I know you weren’t the poster who brought up age but I don’t see why it matters in this case. Borgen was a 4th round pick. They generally take a bit more time to develop than a 2nd rounder like Guhle was. Borgen played 3 more years in college after getting drafted before he signed his ELC. Which he is currently in the last year of.

Hey, the more he plays, the more I'm proven wrong. I don't like this "we" thing, though. I've been posting on here since 08 and a lot of newer posters have contributed to this discussion since then.

But, yeah, you're absolutely right on this one. I just have been quick to cast a bad judgement on a few players these days. I was also the one who personally attacked Kyle Williams for the Bills in '10 as being overrated so my judgement is clearly concerning.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Montour looked good today with Florida: was up the ice a bit. Certainly not brilliant defensively but wasn’t on ice for any goals against and his partner had two goals

Reactions: wunderpanda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad