Confirmed with Link: Montour to FLA for 2021 3rd (FLA)

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Right which is why I edited my first post but that doesn't excuse a d-man like Montour only receiving a 3rd pick that'll 85% will amount to nothing, not even a prospect or player.

The fundamental disagreement I have, and the only one, that even as a UFA, Montour should've fetched something more substantial than a third. That's my opinion and I respect yours but how can anyone legitimately say this is fair for Buffalo?

Officially done now and I know there's people reading this that fully agree with me even if I don't get a "like" to prove it.

The entire league knows that Buffalo is in a fire sale, and dealing from a position of weakness. A 3rd for a pending UFA who is legitimately not good is honestly as good as anyone could expect.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Botterill traded for Montour with no clear plan how to use him. He was on his 3rd coach in his 3rd season in Buffalo there still was no clear plan about how he fit in. Montour's time ran out here before they could figure it out.

Or as Ray Ferraro put it so eloquently:
They decided to get a bunch of dmen at the beginning of the year and they were going to use them for assets. Well they got a bunch of dmen that are middle of the road guys. They bring in Colin Miller for two 2nd round picks and they use him as the 7th D or he doesn't play. They got a mishmash of stuff. It's just stuff."

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
There was nothing wrong with the trade for Montour, as he had potential to become a longterm top 4 dman. There was also nothing wrong with the trade of a underperforming dman who was going to be a UFA for a third with no salary retained. Everything that went wrong here was the organization from the time he was acquired until the time he departed. No plan, no timetable, no decent coaching or team. Another wasted asset. Not Kevin's fault. All he can do is start cleaning up the mess.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
  • Trading a first rounder for him was a terrible trade. Luckily Anaheim screwed the pooch with the pick so its not something we will ever be reminded of. And Guhle was never anything more than a career AHLer, so it kind of worked out as well as a terrible trade could have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bferra13

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
People who are saying this sucks and they should have re-signed him, it was never going to happen.

1) If you re-sign him, you basically have to protect him in the expansion draft. Dahlin, Joker, and Borgen should all be protected ahead of him (as would McCabe if they re-signed him).
2) So you wait until after the expansion draft to get around that. Montour is now days away from testing free agency and getting out of this dysfunctional organization. So why wouldn't he? $$$. You'd basically have to pay him a premium to get him to stay at that point. And Brandon Montour is NOT a guy who you overspend on. If I'm overspending on a D to keep, it's McCabe (who I think we have a better chance of keeping anyways, given his injury and the fact he's been here his whole career), and even then, I'd rather not overspend on anyone (perhaps Ullmark).

No, the choices were either let him walk for nothing, or trade him and get something, anything back for him. A 3rd is probably the best you get for him (without retaining, which is also nice).

Reactions: Zman5778

Bferra13

Apr 7, 2019
Botterill traded for Montour with no clear plan how to use him. He was on his 3rd coach in his 3rd season in Buffalo there still was no clear plan about how he fit in. Montour's time ran out here before they could figure it out.

Or as Ray Ferraro put it so eloquently:
They decided to get a bunch of dmen at the beginning of the year and they were going to use them for assets. Well they got a bunch of dmen that are middle of the road guys. They bring in Colin Miller for two 2nd round picks and they use him as the 7th D or he doesn't play. They got a mishmash of stuff. It's just stuff."

Ha, very true. Maybe Ray Ferraro should be our GM. Id actually feel a little better about the future if he was.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
this organization loves to trade guys away for half of what they paid for them. they simply love to do it, and, apparently, will never stop.

having said that, they got a bad defenceman off their roster, so at least this trade moves them in the right direction.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Return impacted by not eating 50% of contract. Sabres never know right time to spend.

Your criticism is based on the assumption Florida would have paid more if we retained. You have literally no evidence of this. It even contradicts the Sabres willing to retain salary on staal.

In other words, you are making something up in your head, and then complaining about it

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
  • Trading a first rounder for him was a terrible trade. Luckily Anaheim screwed the pooch with the pick so its not something we will ever be reminded of. And Guhle was never anything more than a career AHLer, so it kind of worked out as well as a terrible trade could have.

Guhle is only 23..a bit too soon to be labeling someone as a career AHLer considering Borgen is a year older than Guhle.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Guhle is only 23..a bit too soon to be labeling someone as a career AHLer considering Borgen is a year older than Guhle.

Probably says more about the state of the Sabres that we still think Borgen has a chance/role here long-term. Guhle was one of my favorite prospects but at this point, it's just not happening. Perhaps they can battle it out for an AHL championship eventually?

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
KA got more for Staal because of name recognition and reputation plus salary retention.

Montour trade had none of this, yet the difference is only a 5th and the 3rd probably being about 10 picks later.

Most importantly, it's another addition by substraction move.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Bruins fan here.
I am curious to hear predictions of where Hall winds up and what the pieces are in the trade?
Reinhart seems to be the only forward that is having a decent season, even though Ike has been hurt.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
People are upset with the return?

Lol
Iam not upset I just think they could have done better.Since Krueger left he was playing his best hockey.Others on board say yes but it's too late.I say no its nor too late you see what he can be with a coach that let's him play.They should have waited till the last hour they could have got a 2nd at worst a 3rd

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Iam not upset I just think they could have done better.Since Krueger left he was playing his best hockey.Others on board say yes but it's too late.I say no its nor too late you see what he can be with a coach that let's him play.They should have waited till the last hour they could have got a 2nd at worst a 3rd

Should have waited two more days and then got the 3rd rounder?

Reactions: joshjull

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Since Ralph left, his xG% was 34%. The narrative that he was playing well after the coaching change is not backed up by the stats.

Montour is just not that good. And waiting until the deadline could have been a game of musical chairs where the Sabres didn't have an offer for him because teams added other players.

I have no issue with the return or the timing of the deal. And most of the complaints about the return are people ticked off about the state of the franchise and just complaining to complain.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Since Ralph left, his xG% was 34%. The narrative that he was playing well after the coaching change is not backed up by the stats.

Montour is just not that good. And waiting until the deadline could have been a game of musical chairs where the Sabres didn't have an offer for him because teams added other players.

I have no issue with the return or the timing of the deal. And most of the complaints about the return are people ticked off about the state of the franchise and just complaining to complain.
He could have been used as a forward.
This applies to Risto too, and it could end up being better for both sides going forward, no matter which team he ends up.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Return impacted by not eating 50% of contract. Sabres never know right time to spend.
To get the salary retain bump from a third to a second requires a dance partner who values that. You also can only do three per year. Sabres did Staal and need the other two for Hall and Ullmark. Better returns there.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad