Confirmed with Link: Montour to FLA for 2021 3rd (FLA)

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Since Ralph left, his xG% was 34%. The narrative that he was playing well after the coaching change is not backed up by the stats.

Montour is just not that good. And waiting until the deadline could have been a game of musical chairs where the Sabres didn't have an offer for him because teams added other players.

I have no issue with the return or the timing of the deal. And most of the complaints about the return are people ticked off about the state of the franchise and just complaining to complain.
Not a complaint its an OPINION you know we are still entitled to for now anyways

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
this organization loves to trade guys away for half of what they paid for them. they simply love to do it, and, apparently, will never stop.

having said that, they got a bad defenceman off their roster, so at least this trade moves them in the right direction.

It's funny. Starting out with $1 million, doing some financial trades, and ending up with $500,000 is how rich people go broke.

That's how this franchise has lived for a while now.

As long as Pegula is going to be hood-winked by the likes of Ralph Krueger and think he's a good hire, it will probably continue.

I hope Adams is better than the past crew that has come in here.

This organization needs to get a lot *smarter* and fast.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
who cares if he is UFA he is worth a lot more than freaking Stall especially when you trade him to a team that is doing that well in the standings its just stupidity to not get at least a 2nd when you traded much more for him not too long ago.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Probably says more about the state of the Sabres that we still think Borgen has a chance/role here long-term. Guhle was one of my favorite prospects but at this point, it's just not happening. Perhaps they can battle it out for an AHL championship eventually?
We think he fits going toward because he’s developed into a good mobile defensive dmen who plays with a physical edge and will stick up for teammates. A skill set badly needed on this team

Borgen was ready to play in the NHL last year and was blocked from doing so by decisions Botts made. Specifically bringing in Miller/Joker and not moving out any of our dmen until the Scandella trade. Which led to us juggling/ carrying 8 NHL dmen for the bulk of the season (you could argue 9 dmen if you include Pilut) This year it was Krueger loving the “safe vets” like Irwin/Davison.

Bryson as also impacted by these things. It took our defense getting hammered with injuries this year for Bryson/Borgen to finally get a look.

I know you weren’t the poster who brought up age but I don’t see why it matters in this case. Borgen was a 4th round pick. They generally take a bit more time to develop than a 2nd rounder like Guhle was. Borgen played 3 more years in college after getting drafted before he signed his ELC. Which he is currently in the last year of.

Reactions: buffalowing88

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
this organization loves to trade guys away for half of what they paid for them. they simply love to do it, and, apparently, will never stop.

having said that, they got a bad defenceman off their roster, so at least this trade moves them in the right direction.

A player with a month left of team control has far less value than they did when they had 2 more years of team control left.

It makes no sense trying to compare the two Montour trades as if they are the same thing.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

Which one would you be willing to pay the most for:
  • Raw wagyu steak you can cook yourself
  • Microwaved wagyu steak, served on the floor in a bathroom stall for extra flavour

Reactions: ruff22

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
This is more proof of a gm w a list to fulfill.. Not a saavy poker player waiting for a tell.. Hall was tough.. Montour for a third.. Ill get behind the kevin abuse in this. And still having Eakin out A living.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This is more proof of a gm w a list to fulfill.. Not a saavy poker player waiting for a tell.. Hall was tough.. Montour for a third.. Ill get behind the kevin abuse in this. And still having Eakin out A living.

Why on earth would anyone think that the return on Montour would be more than a 3rd?

Savard is the only D to move for more to this point and his return was better because he is a better player and TB had to pay a premium for the salary retention that Florida didn't need.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
It's funny. Starting out with $1 million, doing some financial trades, and ending up with $500,000 is how rich people go broke.

That's how this franchise has lived for a while now.

As long as Pegula is going to be hood-winked by the likes of Ralph Krueger and think he's a good hire, it will probably continue.

I hope Adams is better than the past crew that has come in here.

This organization needs to get a lot *smarter* and fast.
It's like the inverse of the "Patriot Way: road to a modern day dynasty", that the media never shuts up about.

The "Sabres Way: buy high, sell low, road to a record setting playoff drought".

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
It's like the inverse of the "Patriot Way: road to a modern day dynasty", that the media never shuts up about.

The "Sabres Way: buy high, sell low, road to a record setting playoff drought".

Let's consider the options for Montour :

1. Keep him here to play out the string, knowing either you don't want to keep him, or he doesn't want to come back.
  2. Trade him for whatever you can possibly get back in return.

How exactly did they screw this up?

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Let's consider the options for Montour :

1. Keep him here to play out the string, knowing either you don't want to keep him, or he doesn't want to come back.
  2. Trade him for whatever you can possibly get back in return.

How exactly did they screw this up?
It's not Adams fault that Botts paid what he did for Montour and it's good that Adams got something for him. But it doesn't change the fact that Montour was still a big fat L for this franchise, he was a loss of assets and value.

It's like if your finical advisor bought stock for you at $100 a share and then you fired him after the value tanked. Your new advisor sold the stock off at $20 so you got something back, which is better than $0. But you still lost $80.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
It's not Adams fault that Botts paid what he did for Montour and it's good that Adams got something for him. But it doesn't change the fact that Montour was still a big fat L for this franchise, he was a loss of assets and value.

It's like if your finical advisor bought stock for you at $100 a share and then you fired him after the value tanked. Your new advisor sold the stock off at $20 so you got something back, which is better than $0. But you still lost $80.

Sure. But I got SOMETHING more than $0 back, which in some cases is a big win. Because I can now reinvest that $20 on something I hope will turn out better. Can't do that with $0!

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Sure. But I got SOMETHING more than $0 back, which in some cases is a big win. Because I can now reinvest that $20 on something I hope will turn out better. Can't do that with $0!
The other issue is what can he really expect out of a 3rd rounder? When's the last time the Sabres drafted and developed a 3rd rounder into anything? $20 might have been too kind in my analogy.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The other issue is what can he really expect out of a 3rd rounder? When's the last time the Sabres drafted and developed a 3rd rounder into anything? $20 might have been too kind in my analogy.

I mean maybe they draft a guy, maybe it's trade chip elsewhere, I dunno. :)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
When's the last time the Sabres drafted and developed a 3rd rounder into anything?

Laaksonen was a 3rd, and it looks like he'll be something. Jonas Johansson was a 3rd. Going back another 10 years....Brayden McNabb has had a nice career. Tropp was solid.

Last year's 3rd, Erik Portillo, seems to have a bright future.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
The buy high, sell low Sabres. Awesome. Fire everyone
Reminds me of an old adage derived from people trying to get rich investing in third world countries: "Wanna know the best way to end up with a million dollars in country X? Arrive there with two million."

Reactions: Buffaloed

jputt99

Nov 24, 2016
Charlotte NC
Montour was a good player , the problem was Buffalo has too many puck moving D men and the roles were constantly changing . I don't believe they ever used him properly .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad