Monthly News Thread (September 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Not really sure where to put this since the Podcast thread seems to be retired, but I just listened to the last Jim Ross podcast about CM Punk. Very good listen although I think they kind of skimmed over some pretty significant parts of Punk's career liks the SES and the Summer of Punk in 2011.

Also, I'm loving the new JR/Conrad podcasts because of JR's honesty and transparency in most of his answers. Let's just say that Jim Ross doesn't have Pritchard Syndrome in that he doesn't get all defensive and cagey when Conrad brings up a weird/bad decision and JR also has no issue calling out HHH. On the Punk podcast, JR was very clear that HHH didn't like Punk mostly because he didn't look like a body builder and was not shy about bringing up the fact that HHH/HBK used their backstage influence during the early parts of Punk's career. Not really earth shattering news, but that conversation would have been totally different with Pritchard giving the responses.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Heads were rolling back in 2008 when CM Punk was getting big quarter hour segment numbers on Raw.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Not really sure where to put this since the Podcast thread seems to be retired, but I just listened to the last Jim Ross podcast about CM Punk. Very good listen although I think they kind of skimmed over some pretty significant parts of Punk's career liks the SES and the Summer of Punk in 2011.

Also, I'm loving the new JR/Conrad podcasts because of JR's honesty and transparency in most of his answers. Let's just say that Jim Ross doesn't have Pritchard Syndrome in that he doesn't get all defensive and cagey when Conrad brings up a weird/bad decision and JR also has no issue calling out HHH. On the Punk podcast, JR was very clear that HHH didn't like Punk mostly because he didn't look like a body builder and was not shy about bringing up the fact that HHH/HBK used their backstage influence during the early parts of Punk's career. Not really earth shattering news, but that conversation would have been totally different with Pritchard giving the responses.

I am kinda on the face about the new JR podcast.

You are absolutely right that he is WAY more honest and forthcoming, but he also rambles a lot about a lot of stupid stuff and you can cleary see that he is bitter about a bunch of stuff. It can get annoying. It is a good listen, but not as entertaining as the Prichard show. Bruce can be a dick and that's what makes his podcast fun to listen to.

Reactions: Engebretson
Oct 18, 2011

Whatever credibility Prichard had was lost when he defended the Booker and HHH garbage.
Jericho did a recap of All out and he pretty much buried the hardcore shit.
Jer

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
WWE Draft is indeed happening

WWE draft starts on Oct 11 SD and ends Oct 14 RAW.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Draft start on Smackdown, finish on Raw, and then be completely irrelevant by Survivor Series.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
im reading wild card is dead. and most likely is a real split. like back then.
I'm sure that's what they intend. I just don't see it following through. Fox still has leverage to demand the changes they want at any time.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm sure that's what they intend. I just don't see it following through. Fox still has leverage to demand the changes they want at any time.
But if they don't want to share stars then they can't really have their cake and eat it too (taking Raw stars, but not wanting any Smackdown stars on USA).

I suspect they'd think they can but I don't really see it. I think we're getting a hard split. Watch all four horsewomen end up on Smackdown, and Seth then having to go to Smackdown to be with Becky (after dropping the belt to The Fiend).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
But if they don't want to share stars then they can't really have their cake and eat it too (taking Raw stars, but not wanting any Smackdown stars on USA).

I suspect they'd think they can but I don't really see it. I think we're getting a hard split. Watch all four horsewomen end up on Smackdown, and Seth then having to go to Smackdown to be with Becky (after dropping the belt to The Fiend).

I have no idea where this not sharing stars stuff came from. Fox wants Raw to build to Smackdown. They're the ones who want one roster. Vince is the one who wants the brand split. Having their cake and eating it too? They can and they will. If they don't, then Smackdown will be on FS1, and Vince looks like a failure. You tell me which is more likely to happen first: shared roster, or FS1

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I have no idea where this not sharing stars stuff came from. Fox wants Raw to build to Smackdown. They're the ones who want one roster. Vince is the one who wants the brand split. Having their cake and eating it too? They can and they will. If they don't, then Smackdown will be on FS1, and Vince looks like a failure. You tell me which is more likely to happen first: shared roster, or FS1
It literally came from Meltzer's newsletter and Sean Ross Sapp in 2018. Unless they changed their minds, that was the report.

Obviously they wouldn't be doing a brand new draft if the intention is to forget about it not even a month later.

I'd love to hear your sources for Fox wanting Raw to build to Smackdown and that the split will be thrown out in less than a month again.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i mean. i "paid" to see a draft in montreal earlier this year and the next week everything was f***ed lol.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
i mean. i "paid" to see a draft in montreal earlier this year and the next week everything was ****ed lol.
I don't know what the specifics are. I don't really care, either, but if they're actually calling this a draft -- which is pretty much out of Vince's vocabulary -- it seems like a total reset on the rosters. I have no idea when Hell in a Cell is, but I remember last year I predicted there would be a shakeup earlier in the year and then a second one to shuffle things up to load up Smackdown on Fox before the switch.

Of course, I didn't think they'd do the whole "wild card" thing as a response to sinking ratings, which went from three, to four, to five, to everyone.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It literally came from Meltzer's newsletter and Sean Ross Sapp in 2018. Unless they changed their minds, that was the report.

Obviously they wouldn't be doing a brand new draft if the intention is to forget about it not even a month later.

I'd love to hear your sources for Fox wanting Raw to build to Smackdown and that the split will be thrown out in less than a month again.

Meltzer is the one who said what I said.

Last time they did a draft, I don't think they lasted a month they were bringing in wild cards, and then made rules about it and couldn't even stick to it. The first Smackdown on Fox is already a reunion show and week 2 is already going to be the draft, so we're not even there yet and Vince is already using gimmicks.

If Smackdown isn't hitting 4 million viewers, Vince is going to start panicking (he already has), and if someone gets over on Raw like Becky did this time last year, Fox is going to demand them. They're already not happy that they made this deal without Vince telling them Ronda was going to be gone (not that she was a ratings mover). Meanwhile, USA took Roman going to Smackdown as a sign they were losing him to Fox having made their deal and demanded he be on both shows. Right now, Fox thinks just having live programming is going to be a draw, so they're not that concerned about Vince doing what he wants, but we know he's not even keeping USA happy.

By the way, here's from a quick search. This is from back in May:

FOX And USA Want WWE Brand Split To End

Speaking on today's Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer reported that both USA and FOX - current host of Raw and future host of SmackDown respectively - want WWE to put an end to their divided roster in the wake of dramatically dwindling ratings.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Well then someone changed their mind because Meltzer and SRS reported the hard split / not sharing stars.

To be quite honest, if Fox is expecting 4-million viewers weekly on Friday nights then they have no idea what they signed on for. Good job by WWE for getting that deal, honestly, because they pulled the wool over Fox's eyes. No wrestling is getting 4-million viewers weekly anymore, and especially on Friday nights.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
pretty sure draft in montreal was in april. then those news came and the wild card became a thing until they just stop mentioning. it.
if theyre making a new one is for a reason. theres like zero reason to have a new draft in October, if its only to share tlent again.
lets be honest. USA also has NXT. so FOX might be asking for more talent. (based on nothing. im just talking)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well then someone changed their mind because Meltzer and SRS reported the hard split / not sharing stars.

To be quite honest, if Fox is expecting 4-million viewers weekly on Friday nights then they have no idea what they signed on for. Good job by WWE for getting that deal, honestly, because they pulled the wool over Fox's eyes. No wrestling is getting 4-million viewers weekly anymore, and especially on Friday nights.
I'm fairly positive Dave never said anything about it until that point.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
pretty sure draft in montreal was in april. then those news came and the wild card became a thing until they just stop mentioning. it.
if theyre making a new one is for a reason. theres like zero reason to have a new draft in October, if its only to share tlent again.
lets be honest. USA also has NXT. so FOX might be asking for more talent. (based on nothing. im just talking)
Fox thought they were getting NXT on FS1, to the point they were telling their affiliates, too.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
the thing is they just signed a deal for latinamerica and they did include NXT (and even 205). if i watch Soccer, i see the FOX NXT ads.
might have confused people too.
im pretty sure they wanted it in NA. but pretty sure they were never gonna give up on their sports. to me was a dead deal from the begining.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm fairly positive Dave never said anything about it until that point.
He apparently did in an October or November 2018 edition.

Like I said, I don't know, I don't care what they do with their rosters. Fox is out of their god damn minds if they think they're getting 4-million viewers a week on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad