Management Montgomery will be introduced on Monday by Cam, Don, Charlie and Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Most markets would kill for this answer.

I was thinking about that after the interview ended. When I was growing up, the Bruins were such cheap SOB's, it felt like they didn't care about winning, they'd never spend what other teams spent, they could have had so many glorious teams and it just felt like they didn't care about winning. All they cared about was that filling the building and getting 4 extra home games.

Now, there is still some of that evidenced by Jeremy Jacobs comments, but nowadays they spend as much as any team in the league, they pay millions for coaches, sometimes two at a time, they spend on scouting and analytics, they build first class facilities, they're a destination for UFA's... and the irony is that what fans really want to hear about is a plan to rebuild (or retool).

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think they use the media when it suits their purposes and hide from it when it doesn't.

Who asked them to criticize a player's performance? Nobody. He asked what areas would you like to improve? Don could have said better net front, tougher in front of our own net, more physical, that's not throwing any one specific player under the bus. It's acknowledging a weakness so the team can get better. That's how you improve.

I also don't think he puts himself on the block. He says, "We take responsibility" but it's kind of like saying "I should apologize" without actually making an apology. They say they'll take responsibility, but where? How? Answering the hard questions is how you take responsibility and they don't do that.
I think you’re looking for way too much out of a generic management press conference.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Charlie's #1 goal is to win the Cup while his father is alive.

Then he better fire Cam & Sweeney if the Bruins fail to make a run this season. Dear old Dad isn't getting any younger and neither are the Bruins.

As for Charlie's concerns about selling a rebuild to the fans- IMO we'd be a lot more willing to buy into one if we had any faith that present management could do one competently. Alas...

• Love
Reactions: smithformeragent

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Then he better fire Cam & Sweeney if the Bruins fail to make a run this season. Dear old Dad isn't getting any younger and neither are the Bruins.

As for Charlie's concerns about selling a rebuild to the fans- IMO we'd be a lot more willing to buy into one if we had any faith that present management could do one competently. Alas...
Keep in mind the only GM that has won a Cup since Jacobs bought the team was a complete outsider and his first move was firing everybody that Harry had hired.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
It's a shame the press conference wasn't a bit more about Montgomery. I think Don and Cam not talking to the media much lately also sidetracked things a bit today. They were sitting on lots of questions for Cam, Don and the Jacobs.

I'd still like to know more about Jim! His philosophies, what's changed since his days in Dallas? How he sees this lineup. Are there any changes he'd like to make right away versus how they've done things the last 6 years? Is he married to Bergeron-Marchand staying attached at the hip? How will he dole out ice time differently? Does he like to load up with Mac-Lindholm or 63-37-88 or would he prefer to spread out talent and split up Lindholm-Mac and the top line. Does he like to put a top6 forward on the 3rd line the way Sullivan does to exploit matchups? Does he see the Bergeron line being an offense-first line like under Cassidy or does he see that line taking on more defensive responsibilities...

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It's a shame the press conference wasn't a bit more about Montgomery. I think Don and Cam not talking to the media much lately also sidetracked things a bit today. They were sitting on lots of questions for Cam, Don and the Jacobs.

I'd still like to know more about Jim! His philosophies, what's changed since his days in Dallas? How he sees this lineup. Are there any changes he'd like to make right away versus how they've done things the last 6 years? Is he married to Bergeron-Marchand staying attached at the hip? How will he dole out ice time differently? Does he like to load up with Mac-Lindholm or 63-37-88 or would he prefer to spread out talent and split up Lindholm-Mac and the top line. Does he like to put a top6 forward on the 3rd line the way Sullivan does to exploit matchups? Does he see the Bergeron line being an offense-first line like under Cassidy or does he see that line taking on more defensive responsibilities...
Maybe it was their plan to distract/not focus too much on Monty recovery

But in the process some of your questions for the coach were missing

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I think they use the media when it suits their purposes and hide from it when it doesn't.

Who asked them to criticize a player's performance? Nobody. He asked what areas would you like to improve? Don could have said better net front, tougher in front of our own net, more physical, that's not throwing any one specific player under the bus. It's acknowledging a weakness so the team can get better. That's how you improve.

I also don't think he puts himself on the block. He says, "We take responsibility" but it's kind of like saying "I should apologize" without actually making an apology. They say they'll take responsibility, but where? How? Answering the hard questions is how you take responsibility and they don't do that.
I don’t know man, “we take responsibility” is pretty straight forward to hear from a GM. He’s also pretty clear about what falls to him to fix. But you’re right he doesn’t give the media much, which is why when a rumors out there we can be pretty sure it’s not from his side (unlike past management)

Reactions: PlayMakers

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Dudes and Dudette’s you don’t rebuild with a defense and goalie room top 5 and all significant components under 30

Be better
But you do need to retool to an extent when your top 2 (possible) centers are over 36; and your pipeline hasn't provided.

If not this year... then soon. Very soon.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

We should have sent you there. Surely someone here could photoshop some passable credentials ;)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
1657573782036.jpeg

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
But you do need to retool to an extent when your top 2 (possible) centers are over 36; and your pipeline hasn't provided.

There will be some sort of retool - just as there was in 2015-17. Fortunately, Pastrnak & McAvoy arrived to restart that and much of the Cup core was still together.

They have a cornerstone goalie for what looks like a decade in Swayman. Two prime defensemen (Lindholm, McAvoy) are locked up through 2030. Pasta - if he re-signs - is still young and another cornerstone piece. The problem has been building through the draft and they've whiffed badly on some picks and dealt some other solid ones away.

There are too many solid pieces in place. tear-it-to-the-studs tank job like Chicago is doing or Buffalo has been trying to do for 10 years. You have to be very skilled at threading the needle to make the right moves. The awful 2006-07 season netted a draft with high picks that yielded exactly 23 NHL games (20 from Hamill & 3 from Cross) ... but they won free agency by getting Chara & Savard to sign and that jump-started the rebuild (plus hitting on Lucic & Marchand in 2006, but both of those were second-round picks, so really not the product of a tank but smart deep drafting).

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Don apology: “I’m sorry that you feel that way”

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I don’t know man, “we take responsibility” is pretty straight forward to hear from a GM. He’s also pretty clear about what falls to him to fix. But you’re right he doesn’t give the media much, which is why when a rumors out there we can be pretty sure it’s not from his side (unlike past management)
" We take responsibility " coming from a GM who doesn't take responsibility is LIP SERVICE. Straight forward is someone who says what he thinks, someone who doesn't hide from the media. Faces the media and answers the questions.

Sweeney is the total opposite of a Straight forward GM.

Doing it the way Charlie thinks, Bruins will soon realize it's a recipe for disaster. If you don't at least retoll, playoffs won't be an option.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
‘We take’ is very different from ‘I take.’

Reactions: Sevendust
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad