Management Montgomery will be introduced on Monday by Cam, Don, Charlie and Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
From the press conference (along the lines)

- Don: Wants to try to make some trades. But we will see what happens.

- Charlie Jacob: Compete for the cup/spend to the cap year in and year out

Don wants to trade out of the hole he put himself into. Nobody is going to want Foligno. Jacobs dont want to rebuild. 2023 draft chance for Bedard looks ultra slim

Monty wants to play a faster pace game. But as it stands, Foligno, Nosek, Forbort are not a good fit for it. I really do hope he can intergrate and empower some of the young players (earn a shot through pre season). And if they are better than Nosek, Foligno etc. Play them/best product on the ice

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good press conference and Gasper is a dick, I though DS handled him well.

He wouldn't have the balls to ask Coach Bill those question. Coward
So so true - his voice and presentation felt like it was scripted and he was internally shaking trying to act tough

Gasper would never ever ask Belichick that because he would feel the backlash one way or another

Fake tough guy moment

Sad, Chris, you are behind the story and cherry picking

I feel shame for you

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Doing it the Detroit Red Wings way
Jacobs runs retail and concessions for the Wings so is acutely aware of the issues there.

Charlie remembers how they had to paper the house back in 2006-2007 and create all you can eat sections, college sections and the occasional free concert.

Bruins were a tough sell then and ticket prices were considerably cheaper than they are now.

Chicago is in real trouble because not only are they having a total rebuild but the fanbase and corporate were shaken by the off-ice scandal.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just don't be too firm and honest or else Cam will fire you...
Someone told me I was talking to at Warrior today this was the first head coach he was able to select since became team president in 2010

Claude was there (love Claude)

And Cassidy was an Ottawa buddy of Chiarelli back in Ottawa looking to get back in

He was brought in to be Rob Murray assistant at Providence but the fix was in (right @Saxon Eric ?)

And he was logical place holder after Claude termination

Lot of folks love Montgomery- the DUI and issues in Dallas are why we have him

If he was perfect he’s probably still in Dallas

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Jacobs runs retail and concessions for the Wings so is acutely aware of the issues there.

Charlie remembers how they had to paper the house back in 2006-2007 and create all you can eat sections, college sections and the occasional free concert.

Bruins were a tough sell then and ticket prices were considerably cheaper than they are now.

Chicago is in real trouble because not only are they having a total rebuild but the fanbase and corporate were shaken by the off-ice scandal.
Yup

Bruins have 3600 accounts totalling about 14 K seats and they know law of averages you should make playoffs every other season- and win 1 round every four seasons

I personally know they aren’t out to F people over and want to keep their base but I do enjoy reading the opinions

Reactions: Alicat

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
My biggest takeaways...

Jeremy Jacobs is "thankful" for the fan support, sees it in the ticket sales, people trying to upgrade their seats, merchandise, concessions, etc. This is the biggie, "hopes they don't lose that and can keep it going."

Charlie Jacobs, (who seemed much more comfortable in his own skin and more eloquent IMO) doesn't think they can sell a rebuild to this fanbase. But based on Papa's hopes, I'm not sure that's who he's worried about selling a rebuild to.

Cam Neely was asked how they're going to address getting inside, which was a direct quote from his end of year press conference and his answer was a more fluid defense. :huh: Okay, that will help getting shots through, but HOW ARE YOU GOING TO ADDRESS GETTING INSIDE?!?

Don Sweeney was aggravating me with more of his non-answers. He was asked if he could improve the team is there any area he'd like to improve and rather than give an area or say he hopes Montgomery can address the areas or say he'd rather not answer because he doesn't want to throw shade on guys currently on the team... he gave his standard 5 minutes speech about his job description and that it's his job to improve the team. Yes Don, we know what your job is. We want to know what your vision is. Are you happy with the group you're bringing back, are there any areas you'd like to improve? Constantly dodging those questions is why people think you're either arrogant or you have no plan/vision.

I will say that I was happy to hear about some of their internal workings and how Don said they go back and review drafts and what went wrong and what went right, and where they hit and evaluate their scouts with the benefit of hindsight. I especially liked the end comment where he said "we want to do better." If he gave people more of that, more honest answers and more of a peak behind the curtain I think he'd have a lot more support, because I do think he's set up some good things internal structure and management systems, I do think he's a smart guy, I do think he cares.. but he and Cam both seem afraid of criticism and today they sat there like scolded children in front of the principle.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Good for Gasper, IMO. Someone needs to ask hard questions.
It was funny when Dons mic didnt was not working and he made a joke regarding Gasper comment.... like he shouldnt be there

Unfortunately we didnt get a clear answer to Gaspers question. Ownership had no involvement with Cassidy firing.....?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Yup

Jake DeBrusk = Geoff Courtnall

Watched Geoff up close in 80’s and very similar

People gave up on Courtnall for maybe a few off ice things but he got back on track and was legit 30 + scorer

DeBrusk is that guy to me
If DeBrusk had Courtnalls nasty he would be a 7M player. Courtnall would hit, scrap and play with a mean streak when needed, still have never seen any of this from DeBrusk.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Someone told me I was talking to at Warrior today this was the first head coach he was able to select since became team president in 2010
Shouldn't Sweeney have more say in selecting the coach?

By the way I don't doubt Montgomery's a good guy, and I'm looking forward to him coaching. It just feels like Cam & Don are way too comfortable... Monty is destined to make the same "mistakes" as Butch eventually.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
It was funny when Dons mic didnt was not working and he made a joke regarding Gasper comment.... like he shouldnt be there

Unfortunately we didnt get a clear answer to Gaspers question. Ownership had no involvement with Cassidy firing.....?

Yeah, that was funny and Sweeney made his joke to fire back for asking the tough question. I think that's good. Challenging people with honest questions is a good thing. Debate and discussion is a good thing. I bet Don would win a lot of people over if he actually engaged in some of these questions/conversations.

Last edited:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Yeah, that was funny and Sweeney made his joke to fire back at asking the tough question. I think that's good. Challenging people with honest questions is a good thing. Debate and discussion is a good thing. I bet Don would win a lot of people over if he actually engaged in some of these questions/conversations.
I didnt catch the start of it

Did anyone ask about Monty recovery/process?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
My biggest takeaways...

Jeremy Jacobs is "thankful" for the fan support, sees it in the ticket sales, people trying to upgrade their seats, merchandise, concessions, etc. This is the biggie, "hopes they don't lose that and can keep it going."

Charlie Jacobs, (who seemed much more comfortable in his own skin and more eloquent IMO) doesn't think they can sell a rebuild to this fanbase. But based on Papa's hopes, I'm not sure that's who he's worried about selling a rebuild to.

Cam Neely was asked how they're going to address getting inside, which was a direct quote from his end of year press conference and his answer was a more fluid defense. :huh: Okay, that will help getting shots through, but HOW ARE YOU GOING TO ADDRESS GETTING INSIDE?!?

Don Sweeney was aggravating me with more of his non-answers. He was asked if he could improve the team is there any area he'd like to improve and rather than give an area or say he hopes Montgomery can address the areas or say he'd rather not answer because he doesn't want to throw shade on guys currently on the team... he gave his standard 5 minutes speech about his job description and that it's his job to improve the team. Yes Don, we know what your job is. We want to know what your vision is. Are you happy with the group you're bringing back, are there any areas you'd like to improve? Constantly dodging those questions is why people think you're either arrogant or you have no plan/vision.

I will say that I was happy to hear about some of their internal workings and how Don said they go back and review drafts and what went wrong and what went right, and where they hit and evaluate their scouts with the benefit of hindsight. I especially liked the end comment where he said "we want to do better." If he gave people more of that, more honest answers and more of a peak behind the curtain I think he'd have a lot more support, because I do think he's a smart guy, I do think he cares, I do think he's done some good things there... but he and Cam both seem afraid of criticism and today they sat there like scolded children in front of the principle.
They don’t think the media is helpful to them in icing the best team they can, so we get this.

What use use is there in criticizing a players performance in the off season (where can the roster get better? Are you happy with the roster you have?)

It’s not arrogance, because he regularly puts himself on the block too when they come up short. It’s utilitarian

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Shouldn't Sweeney have more say in selecting the coach?

By the way I don't doubt Montgomery's a good guy, and I'm looking forward to him coaching. It just feels like Cam & Don are way too comfortable... Monty is destined to make the same "mistakes" as Butch eventually.
He had the most say

Nope he won’t

Different personalities

Reactions: pearljamvs5

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
They don’t think the media is helpful to them in icing the best team they can, so we get this.

What use use is there in criticizing a players performance in the off season (where can the roster get better? Are you happy with the roster you have?)

It’s not arrogance, because he regularly puts himself on the block too when they come up short. It’s utilitarian

I think they use the media when it suits their purposes and hide from it when it doesn't.

Who asked them to criticize a player's performance? Nobody. He asked what areas would you like to improve? Don could have said better net front, tougher in front of our own net, more physical, that's not throwing any one specific player under the bus. It's acknowledging a weakness so the team can get better. That's how you improve.

I also don't think he puts himself on the block. He says, "We take responsibility" but it's kind of like saying "I should apologize" without actually making an apology. They say they'll take responsibility, but where? How? Answering the hard questions is how you take responsibility and they don't do that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad