Post-Game Talk: Monday Night @ 10 P.M. OTT vs VAN - Where The Boys Become Men (watch online, see OP)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hopefully people will get off Batherson's and Balcers backs. Both looked excelled and continually looked better. That Batherson pass to Tierney in the final minute is about as good as it gets. He proccess the game so quickly, much like Mark Stone he is often a step or two ahead mentally.

Reactions: Silencio and NB613

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Hopefully people will get off Batherson's and Balcers backs. Both have looked good in preseason and looked fantastic tonight. That Batherson pass to Tierney in the final minute about as good as it gets.

Anisimov between them is the X factor to me. They do complement each other well as wingers though.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Well Balcers made the team tonight. That was the standout performance of any skater this preseason for the Sens. He was every where. Zaitsev IMO showed a lot better than game one where he was pretty brutal. Most of the vets were fine, look to be rounding into form. I think Batherson stays, Brown goes down. Brannstrom can start here but needs more time to work on his offensive game. Some bad penalities taken kinda made this less competitive than it should have been from Tierney and Swarz/Sabourin. Dunno why the latter two are here besides just coaching favoritism.

Wish Nilsson showed a bit better but he was kinda hung out to dry. Also the special team's gameplan was absolute doodoo.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That should be the line-up on opening night

Duclair-Anisimov-Ryan (vets taking off pressure from the kid line)
Tkachuk-White-Balcers
Ennis-Tierney-Brown
Abramov-Pageau-Boedker
Paul

Chabot-DeMelo
Brannstrom(Wolanin)-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Jaros
Borowiecki (C)

Anderson
Nilsson

Want to see more seasoning in the AHL for Brown, Batherson, Formenton, Norris, Davidsson, Lajoie... Take your time with them, cook them as much as possible.

Kinda worried about Chlapik, hasn't progressed a lot since 2018. Looks like a defensive center at the NHL level.

Paul is not having a good camp from what I've seen and it's make or break for him... If he can't be efficient as a 4th liner, he won't be able to stick on 1 team and will have to move around to get a few more chances.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Well Balcers made the team tonight. That was the standout performance of any skater this preseason for the Sens. He was every where. Zaitsev IMO showed a lot better than game one where he was pretty brutal. Most of the vets were fine, look to be rounding into form. I think Batherson stays, Brown goes down. Brannstrom can start here but needs more time to work on his offensive game. Some bad penalities taken kinda made this less competitive than it should have been from Tierney and Swarz/Sabourin. Dunno why the latter two are here besides just coaching favoritism.

Wish Nilsson showed a bit better but he was kinda hung out to dry. Also the special team's gameplan was absolute doodoo.

I don’t think I know of any connection to Szwarz or Sabourin that Smith may have. I do think as mentioned before Szwarz may have been promised a “longer look” at training camp by Dorion as a means to sign him as veteran AHL scoring depth. Sabourin I think it was just a case of needing an extra warm body. They wanted to get the kids down to Belleville before camp down there opened, and it didn’t help that they had just shit the bed against Montreal. Team was leaving the next day anyways.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I liked the way Batherson and Balcers looked together tonight.

Balcers Anisimov Batherson
Tkachuk White Duclair

Ennis Pageau Brown
Boedker Tierney Ryan

I think the Cs and wingers are pretty interchangeable on the bottom 2 lines. Brown goes down

Brannstrom will probably break camp but he'll probably go down after a few. I think he should.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think don’t know of any connection to Szwarz or Sabourin that Smith may have. I think as mentioned before Szwarz may have been promised a “longer look” at training camp by Dorion as a means to sign him as veteran AHL scoring depth. Sabourin I think it was just a case of needing an extra warm body. They wanted to get the kids down to Belleville before camp down there opened, and it didn’t help that they had just **** the bed against Montreal. Team was leaving the next day anyways.
Sabourin played for DJ in Oshawa

Reactions: philb613

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
That should be the line-up on opening night

Duclair-Anisimov-Ryan (vets taking off pressure from the kid line)
Tkachuk-White-Balcers
Ennis-Tierney-Brown
Abramov-Pageau-Boedker
Paul

Chabot-DeMelo
Brannstrom(Wolanin)-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Jaros
Borowiecki (C)

Anderson
Nilsson

Want to see more seasoning in the AHL for Brown, Batherson, Formenton, Norris, Davidsson, Lajoie... Take your time with them, cook them as much as possible.

Kinda worried about Chlapik, hasn't progressed a lot since 2018. Looks like a defensive center at the NHL level.

Paul is not having a good camp from what I've seen and it's make or break for him... If he can't be efficient as a 4th liner, he won't be able to stick on 1 team and will have to move around to get a few more chances.

Yeah, I wonder about Chlapik’s future. I don’t think there was ever any intention for him to make the team out of camp. I just think they’ve held onto him the extent of time that they have so that coach gets to know him as a player, because he’s still quite young, and a second rounder from Ahite and Chabot’s draft year who’s shown promise in limited action but just can’t quite cut it. Paul’s done as far as I’m concerned. Kelly’s first training camp and he’s already surpassing him, which is why he’s still here, whereas Paul is just getting as much a chance as they can possibly give him due to his long known toolbox and potential if he could ever put it together. Doesn’t help he’s the last piece of the Spezza trade remaining, and I think subconsciously that still plays a role.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Just finished the game on delay. Few thoughts:

Logan Brown is a weird player as in he looks like he's on the verge of breaking out constantly but somehow flubs the puck and looks like a teenager again. Hard to tell what he's going to end up being but it could either be a top-6 C or an AHLer. My money's on top-6 C though.

The Drake is the most disappointing player so far in preseason. Just doesn't look like himself at all. Doesn't create much of anything though he did fare slightly better tonight than in his last game.

Chabot starting to heat up. He's going to have a great season that much I'm convinced of.

Zaitsev is "fine". He makes a lot of mistakes. Probably shouldn't be on the top pairing EVER, but he will be because the coach loves him.

Anisimov, Bobby and Tierney all had good games as veterans. Tierney still drives me insane though.

Balcers was great. Think he should have a spot on the third line to start the season.

Duclair looks like he could have a breakout year.

That's about it for specific players.

Thought we played a pretty good game overall. Took too many penalties obviously which is what killed us(PK needs work), but otherwise we were solid 5v5 and took it to the Nucks. Looking forward to the next game against them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and derriko

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So Tierney is the new whipping boy? Because he started the pre-season on whatvthe media describes as the 4th line?

Chabottawa72

Sep 20, 2019
Saint John NB
I think the kids should marinate in the AHL for a bit...find a groove and get some confidence back. the penalties are what kills us..tighten that shit up!! [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Balcers looked good.

Paul was rushing things. I still feel like it's a confidence thing, if he had more than a few do or die games in an offensive role, I think he would settle down.

Hard to tell if Duclair has rounded out his game. He was the most sheltered player on the team last year which gave him a boost. I like him and the potential has always been there, just not sure you want to rob a rookie of sheltered minutes.

I'm totally fine with Sabourin getting some extra time. A 27 yo giving it all he's got in a last ditch effort after a fight and taking some soul crushing shade from Matthews - I think DJ is showing some heart here.

Brannstrom was strong defensively. Yes, some more offence would be nice but I'm sure he feels he needs to show he's not a liability in order to make the team.

Vancouver made light work of Nilsson and I suspect it had a lot to do with knowing him so well. That huddle before the first goal was the guys explaining to JT where he had to stand to score an easy one.

Kelly should make the team. If he also has some hands we could have a real gem there.

Reactions: DrEasy and derriko

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Brannstrom was strong defensively. Yes, some more offence would be nice but I'm sure he feels he needs to show he's not a liability in order to make the team.

Kelly should make the team. If he also has some hands we could have a real gem there.

Bolded I think is a very fair observation. Bran has shown he has the tools and that he can put up some points in the pro's; what DJ may not know, or may not have had the chance to see yet is the defensive side of his game / how he handles bigger forwards. If I was Barnstorm I would be doing the same thing...trying to show I could keep up without the puck and in the corners. The offense is secondary at this point.

I don't see Kelly making the team outside of a couple games at most to reward him for his camp and pre-season effort. This is Paul's last chance. Give Paul that 12th / 13th spot to see if he can find chemistry with anyone or fill a role. If its still not there after 8-10 games, cut him free and bring up Kelly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad