Post-Game Talk: Monday Night @ 10 P.M. OTT vs VAN - Where The Boys Become Men (watch online, see OP)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A big soft floater for a hard nosed grinder who is so much better defensively, harder to play against & also much better at taking faceoffs. I guess it's better than nothing & Anisimov may be able to return something when they finally get tired of him floating around.

If you think Anisimov is bad because he's a floater, then you clearly don't know why Anisimov is bad.

Anisimov is 6'4", 200lb, and plays a surprisingly good defensive game. He can outmuscle a good number of NHLers off the puck. He uses his big frame really well, actually.

I mean... Anisimov is bad, don't get me wrong, but it's not because he's a floater - it's because he's so slow he'd lose a race to a tectonic plate, and he's one of the worst faceoff centers in the league. :laugh:

I bet neither team would have been upset both guys just never showed up to camp...

Lol, this.

Reactions: Alex1234

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
A big soft floater for a hard nosed grinder who is so much better defensively, harder to play against & also much better at taking faceoffs. I guess it's better than nothing & Anisimov may be able to return something when they finally get tired of him floating around.

Smith had a very short period of time where he was an effective grinder, He's a phoney...His 25 goal season was a total fluke, he's brutal. I'm just happy he's gone. Anisimov may not be much better when the season is said and done, but it's addition from subtraction imo.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Anisimov may not be much better when the season is said and done, but it's addition from subtraction imo.

I think the goal with Anisimov is try and mask his deficiencies for ~50 games, inflate his value by heavily managing his deployment and put him in a position to post artificially inflated point totals, and then flip him for an actual asset.

That might be do-able with Anisimov. Maybe.

It was never going to happen with Smith.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Bolded I think is a very fair observation. Bran has shown he has the tools and that he can put up some points in the pro's; what DJ may not know, or may not have had the chance to see yet is the defensive side of his game / how he handles bigger forwards. If I was Barnstorm I would be doing the same thing...trying to show I could keep up without the puck and in the corners. The offense is secondary at this point.

I don't see Kelly making the team outside of a couple games at most to reward him for his camp and pre-season effort. This is Paul's last chance. Give Paul that 12th / 13th spot to see if he can find chemistry with anyone or fill a role. If its still not there after 8-10 games, cut him free and bring up Kelly.
Agree
6'4'' 230 lbs 24 yo
He should be better then what he's shown so far
last chance imo too

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He certainly hasn't been intense in the last couple years though.

I like Zach Smith as a player. 28 points in 70 games last season, he was overpaid but he’s a bottom 6 NHL player. Smith was one of the few players we had who would stand their ground, I think he’ll be missed

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm not dismissing anything.

All I said is I want to see how he reacts after playing ~40 games from now until Christmas.

You are well within your right to choose whatever sample size you want to make your own evaluation. How you see 30ish meaningless games in a season that was already lost by the time he got here, on a team that was highly in flux, with two separate head coaches, the bulk of the skilled roster jetissoned in early February, and playoff contenders consistently starting their backup goalies and sub-par lineups against us and not taking games against us seriously, is your business. You do you, man. Have at it.

He was likely physically tested harder as an AHL rookie two years ago. He's not an NHL rookie. The 36 games he played last year disqualifies that term. He's 140+ games into a pro career.

Idk if he'll survive as an nhler. He looked good at times last year. But he's not a rookie and the physical test over the next 40 games likely isn't what it was over last year's 36 games or his first 40 in the A.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
... the physical test over the next 40 games likely isn't what it was over last year's 36 games or his first 40 in the A.

Well, we simply disagree then. Certainly not the first time that has happened around here, so it's not like this should be awkward for either of us.

Not much else that needs to be said.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Well he's either a floater or has lost the ability to move his legs at a reasonable pace.
I found he could skate ok. He just plays hockey like it's rugby, just try and get the puck to the other team's end. He doesn't have much finesse to his game and he doesn't use his linemates well.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's odd that the first hit resulted in a major and a game misconduct, while Tierney only got a minor. I thought it should have been reversed - the first hit looked like just a hockey hit with a bad outcome to me, while Tierney's hit was straight up dirty. Boeser's back was clearly to Tierney, and he put him face first into the boards in a very vulnerable position. It was the kind of textbook checking from behind hit they use in Hockey Canada instructional videos. Frankly, I think Tierney deserves a couple of games for it - if that's one of our guys getting hit like that I would not be a happy guy.

Reactions: Deku

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Anisimov >>>>>> Smith

At this point in their careers anyway. Zack Smith was such a lazy player the last 3 years. If his name was Zacha Smithnov he would be universally viewed as a guy who has coasted off of one good year.

Instead some still view him as a "hard-nosed player". He hasn't been anything close to that in at least 3 years.

Not watching him drift aimlessly around the ice will be one of the only refreshing things about the on ice product this year.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Anisimov >>>>>> Smith

At this point in their careers anyway. Zack Smith was such a lazy player the last 3 years. If his name was Zacha Smithnov he would be universally viewed as a guy who has coasted off of one good year.

Instead some still view him as a "hard-nosed player". He hasn't been anything close to that in at least 3 years.

Not watching him drift aimlessly around the ice will be one of the only refreshing things about the on ice product this year.
He was great at taking stupid selfish penalties.

Reactions: Icelevel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad