Monarchs seek new ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
Boston's PDC IS EXPIRING that's why there likely won't ever be a rebrand, because why hasn't Reading rebranded since LA PULLED OUT of there, as well.... there's no confusion logo-wise either

Thats a good question being a Reading season ticket holder I know the thought was brought up a couple times especially after the team was sold and they started affiliating with the flyers . But the core fan base rejected the idea. Reading has a decently strong season ticket holder following . which is literally keeping the team afloat.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I've heard about a possible Boston affiliation in the future. As well as a rebrand... but not next season.
Know one knows the plan since The new owner has not been revealed. The franchise needs to do something different they cant just keep with the status quo

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Know one knows the plan since The new owner has not been revealed. The franchise needs to do something different they cant just keep with the status quo
The franchise isn't the issue, Centrum, they survived 14 years in one league, just as Worcester has adapted and if the franchise WAS an issue why now, and not 2015/16 when PPI originally bought it

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
They need to rebrand in my opinion, That might fix the issues if not too late.
REBRAND TO WHAT, becomes the question, then, do you constantly rebrand a franchise each time a new affiliation comes in. same question comes up every time a new franchise from the past is under consideration

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
REBRAND TO WHAT, becomes the question, then, do you constantly rebrand a franchise each time a new affiliation comes in. same question comes up every time a new franchise from the past is under consideration
Anything other then black or purple they need to get away from anything la Kings

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
In St. John's we had the IceCaps in the AHL. When we came into the ECHL we have a completely new brand/identity. I feel if not people would be going to the games thinking it is the same skill level and its not. Plus if you change the brand you create more income from merch sales. Just my 2 cents on it. Maybe nothing will work. There seems to be little interest in the team.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
In St. John's we had the IceCaps in the AHL. When we came into the ECHL we have a completely new brand/identity. I feel if not people would be going to the games thinking it is the same skill level and its not. Plus if you change the brand you create more income from merch sales. Just my 2 cents on it. Maybe nothing will work. There seems to be little interest in the team.
The la kings where celebrating the Calder cup champion Ontario reign before the ahl team even moved why would any one in Manchester want to be tied to la after that

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

not quite, I seem to recall the Q going into Mile One, when the Leafs/MLSE elected to take the Marlies back to Toronto, after the failed Edmonton attempt (Lyle Abraham), Growlers.... in fact when the Fog Devils arrived the Leafs logos still were everywhere in Mile One.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The la kings where celebrating the Calder cup champion Ontario reign before the team even moved why would any one in Manchester want to be tied to la after that
Ontario already existed, Centrum, otherwise.... there is no franchise transfer or swap at the end of 2014/15, and simply this thread doesn't get its own life nor does PPI get involved in 2015/16, not now.... it simply wasn't public knowledge to the general fanbases either in WOR/MCH that either were planning the transfer just like SVSE negotiated toward the end of the Sharks tenure @ DCU

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Ontario already existed, Centrum, otherwise.... there is no franchise transfer or swap at the end of 2014/15, and simply this thread doesn't get its own life nor does PPI get involved in 2015/16, not now.... it simply wasn't public knowledge to the general fanbases either in WOR/MCH that either were planning the transfer just like SVSE negotiated toward the end of the Sharks tenure @ DCU
Your post makes no sense to me

Reactions: Captain Crash

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Your post makes no sense to me
WHERE WERE YOU then when the Burke proposal from 2006 came to pass by 2014/15, then..... it wasn't publically known except to a few and it had never gone further than discussion, you realize Anaheim, LA, AND SJ were already on the East Coast and LA/SJ owner/affiliated, SJ still does that now with the Barracuda, Centrum, and that goes back to Lexington, KY, AND USA Hockey co-operating the franchise, until 2001, then Cleveland, until SJSE morphed into SVSE, WHEN Gilbert bought the Gunds....

if Ontario doesn't exist, the transfer or swap between Ontario and Manchester, independent of ownership, as per the Monarchs season of 2014/15.....ceases that year, not three years later, the agency brokering the sale to PPI from AEG the following year never happens, nor does this transaction hovering over this current season, hence why this thread is being discussed activel, oy... it has nothing to do with LA, a rebrand, because LA obviously has an agreement independent of the owner/operators, whether it be PPI or another group, something AEG has done since 2001, when the franchise was awarded..... it wasn't much of an issue prior to 2015/16, anyway because of the clause LA stated when MCH went to local ownership, whether it's PPI, OR Whomever this owner is

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
The la kings where celebrating the Calder cup champion Ontario reign before the ahl team even moved why would any one in Manchester want to be tied to la after that

Yup I remember that very well.

Less than a week after Manchester won the Calder Cup in their final year in the AHL the Kings were advertising the "Calder Cup winning Ontario Reign" to sell tickets for the following year.

Manchester got a barely advertised banner raising ceremony (they brought some of the team back, but most the team and all the equipment, etc. was already en route to Ontario), increased ticket/concession prices and before the first season in the ECHL was over the Kings were looking to sell the team.

More simply put, the Kings were moving on from Manchester before the city/region even had a chance to celebrate it's final victory.

Sidenote: this thread is going to get locked again, I can just feel it...

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Yup I remember that very well.

Less than a week after Manchester won the Calder Cup in their final year in the AHL the Kings were advertising the "Calder Cup winning Ontario Reign" to sell tickets for the following year.

Manchester got a barely advertised banner raising ceremony (they brought some of the team back, but most the team and all the equipment, etc. was already en route to Ontario), increased ticket/concession prices and before the first season in the ECHL was over the Kings were looking to sell the team.

More simply put, the Kings were moving on from Manchester before the city/region even had a chance to celebrate it's final victory.

Sidenote: this thread is going to get locked again, I can just feel it...
I was the one who requested the thread to be locked the last time

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Nobody can deny that the quality of play in the ECHL is a downgrade from the AHL - While the ECHL is considered AA hockey it is rare that any player on an ECHL roster has a chance to jump to the NHL, unlike AA baseball where it is common.

Fans that supported the Monarchs from their start in 2001-02 were rewarded by seeing many players being a major part of the Kings 2 Stanley Cup wins in 2012 and 2014.

What really hurt the Monarchs transition to a lower level was the insanity of their first ECHL home schedule where they occasionally would play 3 home games in a single weekend against the same opponent. It is better now with Portland and Worcester in the mix but they also face the problem that downtown Manchester has become quite rowdy on weekends. It has a nickname called 'ManVegas' today and it scares away families.

Fans in Worcester, Portland and St John's have accepted the ECHL as better than nothing - that is not the case in Manchester.

ECHL 2018-19 team attendance at hockeydb.com

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
The "ManVegas" thing is bizarre. The area around the arena seems pretty quiet and clean to me in the half dozen or so times I've been there over the last 15 years.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The "ManVegas" thing is bizarre. The area around the arena seems pretty quiet and clean to me in the half dozen or so times I've been there over the last 15 years.

It is a perception issue - I have never had an issue there either but I am aware that many think that way.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Nobody can deny that the quality of play in the ECHL is a downgrade from the AHL - While the ECHL is considered AA hockey it is rare that any player on an ECHL roster has a chance to jump to the NHL, unlike AA baseball where it is common.

Fans that supported the Monarchs from their start in 2001-02 were rewarded by seeing many players being a major part of the Kings 2 Stanley Cup wins in 2012 and 2014.

What really hurt the Monarchs transition to a lower level was the insanity of their first ECHL home schedule where they occasionally would play 3 home games in a single weekend against the same opponent. It is better now with Portland and Worcester in the mix but they also face the problem that downtown Manchester has become quite rowdy on weekends. It has a nickname called 'ManVegas' today and it scares away families.

Fans in Worcester, Portland and St John's have accepted the ECHL as better than nothing - that is not the case in Manchester.

Moving away from anything la kings would be a good start for the franchise.People in the past have suggested that they should try to affiliate with Boston and ask to use their name and color scheme.

Reactions: Growlers

UNITEDINBLUE

May 17, 2017

Has Portland really accepted an ECHL team? They are drawing under 3k a game.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Has Portland really accepted an ECHL team? They are drawing under 3k a game.

Mariners are like 2 people short of 3,000 even. That’s a comparable number to what the Pirates were drawing in their final few years. It’s difficult in the first season, since the team wasn’t very good but they also had the novelty effect all new teams have. Time will tell.

Newfoundland looks better, but they had up and down attendance numbers with pretty decent corporate support. They were one of the better teams in the league and things are looming promising for them, as long as they find away to keep above the bottom line having to subsidize every away team’s travel.

Reactions: Growlers

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Adirondack is looking good, their attendance numbers have modestly improved each year and most of their Saturday nights have drawn 4K in 4800 seat building. The ownership group also owns the arena, and have plans to upgrade the entrance and lobby of the arena.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Adirondack is looking good, their attendance numbers have modestly improved each year and most of their Saturday nights have drawn 4K in 4800 seat building. The ownership group also owns the arena, and have plans to upgrade the entrance and lobby of the arena.
Brian Petrovek being gone helps he is a bad minor league exec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad