Speculation: Monahan to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Monahan today is worth more than Lek was back then...

So figure that 2nd + recent late 1st prospect is the starting point & then add from there.
No, he isn't worth more. He isn't an RFA like Arturri was going to be. He also has injury issues.

I think they are good comparables, but assuming more than Lehkonen just doesn't make sense.

Let's keep in mind Lehkonen, Chiarot, Kulak and Toffoli were all part of the run to the Finals, which likely boosted their value. Monahan doesn't have that.

A first or Ritchie would be a terrific return, expecting *more* is just setting ourselves up for disappointment and ridicule. A 2nd and a decent prospect is more likely.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
No, he isn't worth more. He isn't an RFA like Arturri was going to be. He also has injury issues.

I think they are good comparables, but assuming more than Lehkonen just doesn't make sense.

Let's keep in mind Lehkonen, Chiarot, Kulak and Toffoli were all part of the run to the Finals, which likely boosted their value. Monahan doesn't have that.

A first or Ritchie would be a terrific return, expecting *more* is just setting ourselves up for disappointment and ridicule. A 2nd and a decent prospect is more likely.
You’re setting yourself up for disappointment thinking you’ll get Ritchie or a first … both sides in a trade would have to agree to it… and well you ain’t getting that. Don’t like it? Move on

I didn’t finish your complete response.

Colorado doesn’t have a second until 2026 it’s been said multiple times in this very thread. I just don’t get it

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I’m convinced Montreal fans are so delusional because they haven’t seen what an actual good hockey player is in so long they think their garbage players are good.

When your “best” player is like 40th in league scoring you think anyone that can score 50 points a year is worth gold.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Monahan today is worth more than Lek was back then...

So figure that 2nd + recent late 1st prospect is the starting point & then add from there.

Hahahahahaha, holy f***ing shit.

A first or Ritchie would be a terrific return,
expecting *more* is just setting ourselves up for disappointment and ridicule. A 2nd and a decent prospect is more likely.

Man these delusions are actually insane. What in the f*** is going on.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Me and you did this last year, it was no then and no now

Did you not see Montreal fans say he’s not playing center much and he’s not playing well. You’re fired as the gm if you trade him

Only if you’re sending Montreal first this year and next year
????????

:huh::huh:

my post is only about MTL not needing any more picks and that if we were a strong team we would never consider Mony for a 1rst

I’m convinced Montreal fans are so delusional because they haven’t seen what an actual good hockey player is in so long they think their garbage players are good.

When your “best” player is like 40th in league scoring you think anyone that can score 50 points a year is worth gold.
except hes a very good player lmao what the hell is this dumb comment

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
At this point I think I would do it and let's try to dump RyJo please. Not that I think Ritchie will bust but hard to trust our drafting past 10th pick lately. I'm not much of salary cap calculator so don't know if we would be able to fit and sign him though.
I think the Avs should do it now. No point in waiting - do what it takes to get him on the Avs and building chemistry.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Montreal fans are delusional if they think Monahan will return a recent first round pick in Ritchie AND some.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What precedent suggests Monahan will get back a prospect like Ritchie? It’s absurd.

Lekhonen - Barron/2nd
Chiarot - Heineman/1st
Fleishman/Weise - Danault/2nd

Monahan is having a more productive/impactful season than any of those (& a much higher pedigree).

& That's just Habs recent history. Look league-wide & it is beyond clear that fan bases value prospects far more than GMs at the deadline... Even though those trades typically work out better for the seller

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Lekhonen - Barron/2nd
Chiarot - Heineman/1st
Fleishman/Weise - Danault/2nd

Monahan is having a more productive/impactful season than any of those (& a much higher pedigree).

& That's just Habs recent history. Look league-wide & it is beyond clear that fan bases value prospects far more than GMs at the deadline... Even though those trades typically work out better for the seller

The quote you replied to had bolded a suggestion that Ritchie might be possible as a return.

Another thing, things change. Chiarot, for example, wasn’t worth a first. So to bring this up is like suggesting a team should draft a prospect with a top 5 pick because he’s reminiscent of Yakupov. It’s daft. Ignoring the outcome of trades is certainly convenient for the sellers who reference these flawed precedents.

Also, those trades didn’t happen in a vacuum. Tampa was overpaying and influencing what other teams were willing to pay because it was working for Tampa at the time and competing teams saw it as a cost of competing. But where is Tampa now? They used their trade capital last year. So where’s the relevance in bringing up 2 years ago?

Btw, Heinemann was drafted by Florida and sent to Calgary in the Sam Bennett trade. Calgary then traded Heinemann to Montreal in the Toffoli trade. You cite knowing history but you’re falling short.

Last edited:

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I would take a 3rd and B level prospect for Monahan, but everyone saying he is tr*** doesn't know anything about hockey. He is a very valuable player in a top 9. Good in the faceoffs circle, plays on PP and can be moved to wing if needed, add to that a very good leader and every teams would want that kind of player comes playoffs time.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Dude can't stay healthy if his life depended on it. I couldn't care less if he spends the rest of the year in Montreal. Enjoy.
I'd be fine with him staying in Montreal. I've read enough about his injury history to understand it was all related to the same issue. That issue has been repaired and hes had sufficient time to recover. Other players have had the same surgery and had productive, healthy careers.

Keep your conditional 7th. Montreal will either keep Monahan or move him to one of the 15-20 teams that will be making a run for the playoffs.

Everybody is happy

Reactions: deleted user
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad