Speculation: Monahan to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
There is a rumor ( Sean Monahan or Morgan Frost to the Colorado Avalanche ) that Colorado is considering trading for Monahan, closer to the deadline.

(let's assume Montreal doesn't re-sign Monahan, for whatever reason. He might well want the biggest UFA payday he can get)

Given how Montreal and Colorado have made a deadline deal that worked out for both teams (Lehkonen for Barron and a 2024 2nd), as well as the Newhook-to-Montreal deal, we know these GMs can reach a deal.

The Lehkonen deal could also be a good comparable, even though there are obvious differences - Monahan is more injury-prone, plays a more valuable position, is more talented offensively but not as good defensively (despite being strong on faceoffs), and is a UFA (and is roughly the same age as Lehkonen, so is basically 2 years older at the time of the supposed deadline deal). Still, I expect the return to be broadly similar to Lehkonen.

Montreal is likely interested in a drafted prospect who has "a little development in him" (which is what Kent Hughes likes to acquire), and Montreal has a surplus of young bodies on D so I'd expect a forward.

Who might be a fit from Colorado? Assuming picks can be added to balance out value, my shortlist would be Kovalenko, Olausson, Ritchie, Stienberg or Ambrosio. Given the Boston connexions in Montreal management, I wonder if Ambrosio and a 2nd might be a reasonable deal.

Thoughts ?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
There is a rumor ( Sean Monahan or Morgan Frost to the Colorado Avalanche ) that Colorado is considering trading for Monahan, closer to the deadline.

(let's assume Montreal doesn't re-sign Monahan, for whatever reason. He might well want the biggest UFA payday he can get)

Given how Montreal and Colorado have made a deadline deal that worked out for both teams (Lehkonen for Barron and a 2024 2nd), as well as the Newhook-to-Montreal deal, we know these GMs can reach a deal.

The Lehkonen deal could also be a good comparable, even though there are obvious differences - Monahan is more injury-prone, plays a more valuable position, is more talented offensively but not as good defensively (despite being strong on faceoffs), and is a UFA (and is roughly the same age as Lehkonen, so is basically 2 years older at the time of the supposed deadline deal). Still, I expect the return to be broadly similar to Lehkonen.

Montreal is likely interested in a drafted prospect who has "a little development in him" (which is what Kent Hughes likes to acquire), and Montreal has a surplus of young bodies on D so I'd expect a forward.

Who might be a fit from Colorado? Assuming picks can be added to balance out value, my shortlist would be Kovalenko, Olausson, Ritchie, Stienberg or Ambrosio. Given the Boston connexions in Montreal management, I wonder if Ambrosio and a 2nd might be a reasonable deal.

Thoughts ?

I would be more inclined to sign Monahan. He's big, 58% faceoffs and 25 goals. That's 3 necessary attributes in today's game. Plus he's good character.in our dressing room for our young players. Colorado pick be around 30th. A Player about 50% chance of being average NHLer. Not really much there.

Unless Monahan wants too much cash.

Reactions: Habsrule

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Calum Ritchie and Justus Annunen should be the target
I assumed Annunen would be off limits, if he's the future of the Avs in net.

Ritchie I just don't know enough about.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
I could see the similarities with Lehkonen, but bear in mind that he was a RFA at the end of his deal, so they didn't trade for a rental with him.

With that being said, Barron was probably a better prospect (when traded) than Ritchie, Olausson (idk enough about him) or Behrens (which I doubt is in play with the abondance of LHD in MTL system).

Also, of ANY contender teams, I doubt Colorado would be the one to offer a 1st (because of their lack of 2nd rnd pick).

Would something like Ritchie + conditional 3rd (turn into a 2nd depending on the % of games Monahan play) work?

edit: Ritchie was a late 2023 1st, and Montreal obviously scouted those guys carefuly since they had the 31st and 37th pick. I'm not saying they liked him, since I don't know, but they should know alot about him and might be the kind of player they target instead of a pick.

I'm saying this since, IF they target him, they probably know enough about him to not be scared about his so-so (injured I guess) D+1.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapSpace and pth2

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Most teams would want to wait on Monahan...........to see if he is healthy as the season goes on.
If he gets dealt now, then there must be a couple of teams pushing that envelope...
Would think he has more value at the deadline though?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Would something like Ritchie + conditional 3rd (turn into a 2nd depending on the % of games Monahan play) work?
I think that's the kind of deal that's likely to happen, so yeah. After that, it all depends on how specific teams value specific players and prospects.

Most teams would want to wait on Monahan...........to see if he is healthy as the season goes on.
If he gets dealt now, then there must be a couple of teams pushing that envelope...
I expect this deal happens in something like 6 weeks, in the original post I said "closer to the deadline". With Monahan's health being a legit concern, making sure he's healthy at that point is something the acquiring team will want to be sure of.

Reactions: BLONG7

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I could see the similarities with Lehkonen, but bear in mind that he was a RFA at the end of his deal, so they didn't trade for a rental with him.

With that being said, Barron was probably a better prospect (when traded) than Ritchie, Olausson (idk enough about him) or Behrens (which I doubt is in play with the abondance of LHD in MTL system).

Also, of ANY contender teams, I doubt Colorado would be the one to offer a 1st (because of their lack of 2nd rnd pick).

edit: Ritchie was a late 2023 1st, and Montreal obviously scouted those guys carefuly since they had the 31st and 37th pick. I'm not saying they liked him, since I don't know, but they should know alot about him and might be the kind of player they target instead of a pick.

I'm saying this since, IF they target him, they probably know enough about him to not be scared about his so-so (injured I guess) D+1.
Avs would just throw in a 1st to Ritchie and get Lindholm at the TDL.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

I was making the same assumptions, honestly. For all we know he was a guy they were hoping to draft with Florida's pick but figured that was unlikely when it slipped to 31.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Avs would just throw in a 1st to Ritchie and get Lindholm at the TDL.
For sure, he's the #1 target for any team wanting a C.

My proposal was more in line with "would the value work" rather than "would it be Avs 1st choice".

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I would be more inclined to sign Monahan. He's big, 58% faceoffs and 25 goals. That's 3 necessary attributes in today's game. Plus he's good character.in our dressing room for our young players. Colorado pick be around 30th. A Player about 50% chance of being average NHLer. Not really much there.

The last time he scored 25 goals was 2019.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
foudy and a 2nd
I really don't know enough about Foudy to have a real opinion. He's a speedy forward, right? It's something MSL like.

It wouldn't be my 1st choice, but it seems like a fair offer.

Trading Monahan to Colorado as it's advantage, since I doubt Colorado will re-sign him. Montreal could try to sign him back as a UFA.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I really don't know enough about Foudy to have a real opinion. He's a speedy forward, right? It's something MSL like.

It wouldn't be my 1st choice, but it seems like a fair offer.

Trading Monahan to Colorado as it's advantage, since I doubt Colorado will re-sign him. Montreal could try to sign him back as a UFA.
I figure if Monahan wants a number Montreal can live with, he just won't be traded.

The only way Montreal trades him and re-signs him is if no other team makes an offer as good as the one Montreal might be making right now, and that he'd presumably be turning down.

Given Monahan's past performances (very impressive), current performance (pretty good but no longer top-line talent on a winning team) and his extensive injury history, he's a guy who might well have wildly different expectations than what the market will bear. He didn't get the kind of offers he was hoping for last summer, after all.

Reactions: PAZ and Habsrule

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

It won’t involve the Avs first. Go look at the history of the Sakic-MacF era regarding trading their 1st. And it wasn’t in this scenario.

MacFarland can’t really afford to gamble on him after Eller, Johansen, and Tatar. Mainly Johansen. The fact that he’s cheap is probably the only reason MacFarland is interested. The guy buys his dress jackets as part of a three pack at WalMart. But he’s been burnt before and is currently being burnt by making decisions based almost exclusively on being cheap - if he were to do this (as it is only speculation).

Yes the Avs were linked to him before by Lebrun. But that was several failures by MacFarland ago. The landscape has changed.

Last edited:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Well HF loves to say that, but team can have doctors look at medical records and give the green/yellow/red light to get "X" player.

If medical reports are fine, there's no reason to think he is more injury prone than the many other players who had similar injuries and the following surgeries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad