LeBrun: Monahan linked to COL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
the trade value for Monahan was always contingent on his health and playing time. He has been shut down again for the last 10 days and the Habs aren't talking. There may be an update later in the week, but as of now, no one knows what's going on but it can't be good with the cone of silence. I suspect but have 0 proof, it may be a hip issue again.
I think he won't get very much at the trade deadline so habs may elect to sign him for another year.
Hughes will try to move Edmundson and some others instead
Doesn't sound good. If Monahan is shut down for season, it does give us 5.3 million caproom to rent out this deadline.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Heck, we might be in a Price/Monahan situation.... Price didn't announce he was sitting out the season long before the Habs traded for Monahan, instantly weaponizing that capspace. If Monahan's hip has flared up and he has to sit out the rest of the season, it means Montreal has the ability to absorb something like 7M in expiring contracts.
true. good point

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
So would I.

I have said since the beginning of this thread, I would be ecstatic with a 2nd rounder for him, but I think it's unlikely.
I'd take a 2nd too. What a steal. Habs . A 1st and a 2nd for Monahan

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I'd do Monahan for Bowers if that's actually on the table. A project prospect for an injury-riddled guy on an expiring contract who likely won't re-sign is an easy yes for me.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
The only way Colorado trades for a injured prone Monahan is if the salary is half retained for a 3rd or 4th not worth the risk if he gets hurt.
See this is the part i don't get . Calling a player injury prone who [as one pointed out] has played 681 games out of 750 since entering the league... 90.8% of games. 74.5 / 82 games.
How if that is injury prone than most of the players in the league are injury prone.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
I can’t believe this whole thread is based on the LeBrun article. He linked Monahan to the Avs because he conveniently gave all the other centers to other teams and realized the Avs would be in on that action at the end. Then he just threw the Avs Monahan cause it was the only center he could come up with. Lol

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Monahan as a #3 sure but as a #2 this proves the avs aren't serious about a long run in the post season.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I'd do Monahan for Bowers if that's actually on the table. A project prospect for an injury-riddled guy on an expiring contract who likely won't re-sign is an easy yes for me.
Rather take my chances with a pick over Bowers. Bowers won't make it . At least we could package that pick we get.

I can’t believe this whole thread is based on the LeBrun article. He linked Monahan to the Avs because he conveniently gave all the other centers to other teams and realized the Avs would be in on that action at the end. Then he just threw the Avs Monahan cause it was the only center he could come up with. Lol
Wow you know that as a fact?

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Rather take my chances with a pick over Bowers. Bowers won't make it . At least we could package that pick we get.
I don't see why Colorado would offer any good pick. 3rd at most. 1st seems like a pipe dream. If they actually offer that, take it and run

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I'd rather take a 3rd rounder than Bowers.

See this is the part i don't get . Calling a player injury prone who [as one pointed out] has played 681 games out of 750 since entering the league... 90.8% of games. 74.5 / 82 games.
How if that is injury prone than most of the players in the league are injury prone.

I guess it comes down to what you considered injured. You are seemingly only considering him injured if he doesn't play.

How healthy was Monahan during his final two years in Calgary when he suited up for 115 games?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I don't see why Colorado would offer any good pick. 3rd at most. 1st seems like a pipe dream. If they actually offer that, take it and run
Believe me we would. If we get very lucky we may get a 2nd rd pick with the max retention. Even a 3rd rd pick is more appealing than Bowers

Bond

May 10, 2012
..in. which case, it would be best for him to sign for a year or two in Montreal to show he can stay healthy, since he won't be getting a UFA payday anyways.
Yeah or he should retire and find something he likes away from playing. Really depends on how bad his day to day is but if I was him and already made millions, I would be thinking about long term.
Amount of games played doesn't really tell the whole story with him though. He probably shouldn't have played last season after 10 games and the year before he should have been shut down way earlier as well and then he had 5 major surgeries before that as well. He has had more offseason surgeries than any other Flames I have watched in the last 10 years.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
He has had many procedures these last few years and wasn't very effective when playing since he was often playing hurt. There's a reason Flames fans were telling us he was a 4th liner/toast when the Habs traded for him... that's what they'd seen the last 3 years.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I'd rather take a 3rd rounder than Bowers.

I guess it comes down to what you considered injured. You are seemingly only considering him injured if he doesn't play.

How healthy was Monahan during his final two years in Calgary when he suited up for 115 games?
I would say he had a hip issue tried to play though it but couldn't. Those 2 seasons don't make him injury prone because if he is injury so is half the league.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
To be honest, at this rate, Monahan would be lucky to get back a conditional 4th with his injury issues
To me, it's not even about the compensation - late 2nd, 3rd round pick, 4th... whatever.

The more problematic issue is allocating the 50% retained $3M+ in cap space for a player who is pretty much a question mark. Is he going to be healthy to help out any team trading for him because if he's not, it's a pretty big gamble IN CAP SPACE on a 'let's cross our fingers and hope it works out'.

I don't think too many contenders are going to be in a position to make that move in addition to any others - so for me, that's the reason why teams will likely stear clear but we'll see.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
To me, it's not even about the compensation - late 2nd, 3rd round pick, 4th... whatever.

The more problematic issue is allocating the 50% retained $3M+ in cap space for a player who is pretty much a question mark. Is he going to be healthy to help out any team trading for him because if he's not, it's a pretty big gamble IN CAP SPACE on a 'let's cross our fingers and hope it works out'.

I don't think too many contenders are going to be in a position to make that move in addition to any others - so for me, that's the reason why teams will likely stear clear but we'll see.
Eh, I think acquisition cost is a major factor here. A bubble playoff team that either misses out or refuses to pay for one of the bigger names might be willing to gamble on Monahan, assuming he's somewhat healthy, but only if price is cheap enough, i.e. a mid round pick.

A team like the Avs, with all their injuries, might just decide that this year isn't worth going all in. But if Monahan just costs say a 4th, then that's a fairly low risk gamble. It's an easy win if he stays healthy, gets 15-20 points and helps them secure a playoff berth. On the other hand, if he can't stay healthy, it was just a 4th round pick; hardly an irreplaceable loss. But if the Habs are demanding a 2nd or hell, a conditional 1st, then it's an easy no because there's no scenario where Monahan, given what he is right now, is worth that. In that case, better to do nothing or look elsewhere for a low priced acquisition.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
almost 1000 posts of two fanbases yelling past each other and being rude. You'd think one of them would be smart enough to leave the thread alone so it could die but I guess not.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Eh, I think acquisition cost is a major factor here. A bubble playoff team that either misses out or refuses to pay for one of the bigger names might be willing to gamble on Monahan, assuming he's somewhat healthy, but only if price is cheap enough, i.e. a mid round pick.

A team like the Avs, with all their injuries, might just decide that this year isn't worth going all in. But if Monahan just costs say a 4th, then that's a fairly low risk gamble. It's an easy win if he stays healthy, gets 15-20 points and helps them secure a playoff berth. On the other hand, if he can't stay healthy, it was just a 4th round pick; hardly an irreplaceable loss. But if the Habs are demanding a 2nd or hell, a conditional 1st, then it's an easy no because there's no scenario where Monahan, given what he is right now, is worth that. In that case, better to do nothing or look elsewhere for a low priced acquisition.
But if he helps Colorado make the playoffs, or even win a few rounds, suddenly the conditional picks aren't as troublesome. Losing a 1st only if you make the SCF for example. And I'd add that a healthy Monahan playing up to his potential, could easily be worth a 1st as a rental. The issue is no one knows if he'll be able to do so, due to health reasons.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

This is clearly the main issue in a Monahan deal to Colorado, and if Colorado fans want to bow out for this reason, it makes total sense.

Reactions: Bender

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Pay attention to the thread. It's not "Habs fans" making this absurd claim, it's literally two guys that are Canadiens fans that keep making ridiculous claims about Monahan and his value. There are also several Habs fans, myself included, calling this out as outrageously misinformed. Don't paint the whole fanbase with the same brush, you're seeing the vocal minority of the lunatic fringe pretending he's a two-way centre who could land the team a 1st round pick.
For sure. I reqd your rationale posts earlier. I am actually referring to some of my Hab friends not necessarily this thread. Trust me. I completely understand the vocal minority thing. Lol.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
This is clearly the main issue in a Monahan deal to Colorado, and if Colorado fans want to bow out for this reason, it makes total sense.

It's almost like Avs fans have repeatedly pointed this issue out since page 1, and repeatedly asked Habs fans to stop involving us in their debate about Monahan's imaginary value if he wasn't on LTIR...

Reactions: Patagonia

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
It's almost like Avs fans have repeatedly pointed this issue out since page 1, and repeatedly asked Habs fans to stop involving us in their debate about Monahan's imaginary value if he wasn't on LTIR...
Some people live in echo chambers. And anything that doesn’t fit their narrative is childish. I tried to engage, I was told they were only gonna spew nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad