Value of: Monahan+Hanifin+2 First round picks

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think it would take more from the Kings. Kopitar, Toffoli, Kupari and have the flames dump Neal...even then I don't see why Calgary would do it.

yeah i dont think the two firsts would be included. but as other people have noted, monahan is more valuable than kopitar, so i guess i was just way off on value

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If you’re doing that kind of crazy shit, just see if Point, Laine or someone else wants to sign and offer sheet. May as well pay 4 firsts than pay two and two guys worth more than firsts on their own.

Reactions: Flameshomer

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I think he's your best choice for players who are "potentially" available, and yeah he might cost a pretty penny but you gotta give up something to get something. Also Point is a good playoff performer, regardless of this past series he was still one of their better players. He plays bigger than his stature, but if you aren't interested in him then idk I guess you're stuck with Monahan.

I don't know much about Point but if we pay a pretty penny for him and he does not work out, than our goose is cooked.

BurnabyJoe7

Derek Ryan is a top 6 forward change my mind
Apr 12, 2019
So good, he led the team to 2nd last in the west.
And those pieces did so much better by getting one playoff win this year. Drai is a playoff monster and shows up when it matters. With the way we draft, those firsts could have almost no impact on our team in 3/4 years so it's an easy no from most people who watch the oilers.

Oilers will keep Drai and McDavid. The one good thing Chia did is prove how risky trading an all-star can be. Obviously any GM could have gotten a better return than he did, but any incoming GM will be scared shitless to make a trade like that in the future.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
If you’re doing that kind of crazy ****, just see if Point, Laine or someone else wants to sign and offer sheet. May as well pay 4 firsts than pay two and two guys worth more than firsts on their own.
I'd sign point to a big offer sheet for sure. Not sure about laine that feels... risky lol

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
yeah i dont think the two firsts would be included. but as other people have noted, monahan is more valuable than kopitar, so i guess i was just way off on value
If you could bank on kopitar putting up his career average in points, given his defensive play I take Kopitar over Monahan. Issue is given his contract without consistency it is hard to justify.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
They continue to suck by keeping a 100 point player? Interesting logic...
Ya if your options are to keep a player who even when having a career year can't help your team even make the playoff maybe for the sake of your team you flip him for a 82point player a top 4 D that they can definitely use and 2 future picks now I know picks don't interest Edmonton fans because your team struggles mightily to pick a player if the pick isn't top 3 but you could also deal the picks..... Also 100 points while playing with Connor the best player in the world I'm very doubtful he's gonna put up 100 from here on out for his career I mean he shot almost 22% this season good luck replicating that

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It is a massive package. Please see my previous post.

Don't bash Draisaitl though. That is a foolish thing to do.

How is that bashing? There is no chance in hell his shooting % is sustainable, that’s just fact. He’s a great player (better than Monahan imo), but no way he hits 50 goals again.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
It is a massive package. Please see my previous post.

Don't bash Draisaitl though. That is a foolish thing to do.
It's not bashing to say shooting 22% will probably be a career outlier it would be very very hard to shoot 20%+ in back to back years if he shot his career average 14.7% (excluding this year at 21.6% and his rookie season where he only shot 4.1%) he would have had about 34 goals which is what Monahan had this season

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Ya if your options are to keep a player who even when having a career year can't help your team even make the playoff maybe for the sake of your team you flip him for a 82point player a top 4 D that they can definitely use and 2 future picks now I know picks don't interest Edmonton fans because your team struggles mightily to pick a player if the pick isn't top 3 but you could also deal the picks..... Also 100 points while playing with Connor the best player in the world I'm very doubtful he's gonna put up 100 from here on out for his career I mean he shot almost 22% this season good luck replicating that
Umm...notice the avatar? I am far from an Oilers fan...they ain't "my team". But even i know dealing Drai for a package of lesser pieces is stupid.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
How is that bashing? There is no chance in hell his shooting % is sustainable, that’s just fact. He’s a great player (better than Monahan imo), but no way he hits 50 goals again.

Playing beside McDavid? Not sure how you can state that as fact.

Reactions: TFHockey

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
Umm...notice the avatar? I am far from an Oilers fan...they ain't "my team". But even i know dealing Drai for a package of lesser pieces is stupid.
Well the thing is you aren't gonna trade him for a package of better assets those trades don't exist and sometimes trading a star player for a big return can work just fine

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Well the thing is you aren't gonna trade him for a package of better assets those trades don't exist and sometimes trading a star player for a big return can work just fine
No, the thing is you don't trade a 100 point player unless the offer is just to good to pass up....this one does not fall into that category. For the Flames to land a player of that tier, it will hurt much...much more.

As a Leafs fan, Drai has outscored Matthews...and has a lower cap hit, thus has more value than Matthews. I would never consider Matthews for Monahan+Hanafin+2 late 1sts....why would Edmonton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TFHockey

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
No, the thing is you don't trade a 100 point player unless the offer is just to good to pass up....this one does not fall into that category. For the Flames to land a player of that tier, it will hurt much...much more.

As a Leafs fan, Drai has outscored Matthews...and has a lower cap hit, thus has more value than Matthews. I would never consider Matthews for Monahan+Hanafin+2 late 1sts....why would Edmonton.
If you think drai is better than Matthews that's your problem pal and evey team is different Hanafin would be one of their best D instantly you can't understate the value of top 4D when your back end is bare

If AM34 had shot 21.6% he would have had 54 goals in 68 games

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Yet Monahan who produced at essentially the same level as Matthews (1.05 pts/g vs 1.07 pts/g) and makes 5M less per season is somehow worth significantly less? Your logic is flawed.

Monahan and Hanifin's combined cap hits are less than' Matthews alone.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
For just one player? Monahan+Hanifin alone should be enough to get an upgrade at 1C. Not sure why we're throwing in 2 first rounders after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad