Proposal: Monahan + Gaudreau for Matthews

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Would a 80-90p center be worth a 85-95p winger + 65-75p center ?

The 93-100 point centre, you mean, based on a full season? If you are going to call Monohan a "65-75 point centre" based on him hitting 65 once in his seven years, then you have to say Matthews is a career PPG who is probably going to hit 100+ points consistently moving forward, seeing how he is pretty much there now, at 22.

For shits and giggles, let's look at MacKinnon and Matthews in their first four years in the league:

MacKinnon 300 GP, 75 G, 206 points
Matthews 282 GP, 158 G, 295 points

In 18 less games, Matthews has 83 more goals and 89 more points, which probably explains why he is virtually untouchable. No offense, but it's not what Matthews could fetch in a trade, it's what the Leafs are losing. It's not hyperbole to suggest, if he spends his entire career in Toronto, he COULD go down as the best Leaf ever. If not the best, definitely one of the best.

Matthews is 22, and is only going to get better. That said, it's not the quality of the players coming back, it's the fit. We don't really save any money, and both are UFA in the next two/three years and will get raises and Leafs don't need top-6 help. Unless Monohan or Gaudreau answers the defensive problem, it isn't a fit for the Leafs.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
No Idea why the leafs would even think about this... Matthews is one of the top 10 players in this league and is still very young, putting up 100+ points a season. What would Monhan Gaudreau bring to them ?

I agree they shouldn’t deal Mathews especially for Gaudreau and Monahan, but when has AM scored 100 points? He has Never even scored at a 100 point pace in a season.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
This proposal is horrendous for Toronto. The only way a player like Matthews gets traded for lesser parts is if they demand out in the midst of some scandal.

I also think Flames fans should prepare themselves for Gaudreau potentially getting traded. I see the Hall talk as more than just rumours. As far as asset management goes, signing Hall and trading Gaudreau for a #1 RW and/or a big future asset is solid.
you are selling way too low on Gaudreau because he didn't have a good playoff. he's stil the best zone entry player in the league.. he's not drouin,

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
you are selling way too low on Gaudreau because he didn't have a good playoff. he's stil the best zone entry player in the league.. he's not drouin,

I didn't even say what the return was.....

If the Flames sign Hall, and then use Gaudreau to get an upgrade at #1 RW or Centre, it would be a good move overall. The player coming back would have to be a legit #1 RW or Centre. Alternatively, keeping Gaudreau for a year could be an option. I unfortunately do not see Gaudreau re-signing with the Flames.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I agree they shouldn’t deal Mathews especially for Gaudreau and Monahan, but when has AM scored 100 points? He has Never even scored at a 100 point pace in a season.

Nope I thought he was on pace for 100 this season was actually 90. In my opinion this does not change the fact that he soon will be and points aside he plays like an Elite center at 23.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
I didn't even say what the return was.....

If the Flames sign Hall, and then use Gaudreau to get an upgrade at #1 RW or Centre, it would be a good move overall. The player coming back would have to be a legit #1 RW or Centre. Alternatively, keeping Gaudreau for a year could be an option. I unfortunately do not see Gaudreau re-signing with the Flames.
what is happening between him and the org ? what's the reason behind it ? You don't trade the best zone entry 90p winger because he's small.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
With the rumor floating around for Monahan + Gaudreau, who says no ?

Cap wise it fits both team after the free agency, and Calgary can go after a goalie this fall.
both Toronto and Calgary upgrade their top 6 with:

Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Gaudreau/Monahan/Nylander

Tkachuk/Matthews/Lindholm
Mangiapane/Backlund or Bennett/Dube

I don't think Toronto moves Matthews regardless, but that is probably amplified times a million without getting at least one absolute stud D in return

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't think Toronto moves Matthews regardless, but that is probably amplified times a million without getting at least one absolute stud D in return
If I was a Leafs fan I wouldn't want him moved period. Maybe if you're getting back an all situations #1 defenseman that is young and a #2 center I'd consider it. Something like Makar and Kadri or Hintz and Heiskanen would be worth at least looking at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad