Proposal: Monahan + Gaudreau for Matthews

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
With the rumor floating around for Monahan + Gaudreau, who says no ?

Cap wise it fits both team after the free agency, and Calgary can go after a goalie this fall.
both Toronto and Calgary upgrade their top 6 with:

Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Gaudreau/Monahan/Nylander

Tkachuk/Matthews/Lindholm
Mangiapane/Backlund or Bennett/Dube

Bond

May 10, 2012
Would be a better balance for the Leafs but doubt they take it.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
No Idea why the leafs would even think about this... Matthews is one of the top 10 players in this league and is still very young, putting up 100+ points a season. What would Monhan Gaudreau bring to them ?

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
No Idea why the leafs would even think about this... Matthews is one of the top 10 players in this league and is still very young, putting up 100+ points a season. What would Monhan Gaudreau bring to them ?

He was on pace for 90+ points not 100.

However with Keefe as the coach I do expect Matthews to hit 100 points next year.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
If I'm Calgary, yes. I can understand why Toronto says no but the two players aren't chop liver either. Monahan would slot into the 2c quite easily and Gaudreau would look pretty darn good on Tavares left side. Still it's no from Toronto's end.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Sure Monahan scored 25 fewer goals than Matthews but he knows his way around the defensive zone, and Gaudreau brings that smooth skating, pure offense waterbug style that Toronto desperately needs to flesh out their gritty, defense-first playstyle. He sees the ice better than anyone the city of Toronto's seen since way back in the Mitch Marner era.

They're also older than Matthews and bring in that influx of confidence you only get from veterans who've had that hard won playoff success, which I think is crucial to getting this team over the hump. A slam dunk for the Leafs tbh.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Sure Monahan scored 25 fewer goals than Matthews but he knows his way around the defensive zone, and Gaudreau brings that smooth skating, pure offense waterbug style that Toronto desperately needs to flesh out their gritty, defense-first playstyle. He sees the ice better than anyone the city of Toronto's seen since way back in the Mitch Marner era.

They're also older than Matthews and bring in that influx of confidence you only get from veterans who've had that hard won playoff success, which I think is crucial to getting this team over the hump. A slam dunk for the Leafs tbh.

Monahan is notoriously weak in his own end. Leafs lose the best defensive player in this deal and best player by a wide margin and have to bank on Gaudreau staying in two years

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street

It really isn’t a slam dunk. The Leafs take in more salary and still still need dmen.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Bond

May 10, 2012
Not to stir up bad blood but do the Leafs regret signing Tavares?

Ledge And Dairy

Your sarcasm was amusing, even more amusing is the comments after that completely missed it. However Monahan isn't a train wreck on defense like people on here seem to think and is actually fairly competent. However when you have 2 Selke caliber players like Backlund and Lindholm on your team and 2 bottom 6 centers almost entirely known for their defensive game (Ryan and Jankowski) he is clearly in the shadow for his defensive play.

Reactions: bobconbatman

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Your sarcasm was amusing, even more amusing is the comments after that completely missed it. However Monahan isn't a train wreck on defense like people on here seem to think and is actually fairly competent. However when you have 2 Selke caliber players like Backlund and Lindholm on your team and 2 bottom 6 centers almost entirely known for their defensive game (Ryan and Jankowski) he is clearly in the shadow for his defensive play.

I felt like I was taking crazy pills, what part of that was subtle lmao

I unironically like Monahan, always have. Wouldn't move Matthews for him but he's a good 2C.

Reactions: Nedarb

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I am leaf fan. Imagine how I feel when Dubas created a forward heavy team with a glaring weakness at defense are there is no cap space to address it.

edit: You are being sarcastic! I feel like an idiot!
Now you're on the trolley.

Reactions: Petrus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad