Proposal: Monahan + Gaudreau for Matthews

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Not a chance.

Would Monahan plus good depthfor Tavares, not be the more enticing deal?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It seems odd for an elite player to sign a 5 year deal after their ELC.
Until Aaron Ekblad, Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel, and Leon Draisaitl signed for 8 years after their ELC, signing for 5 years at that point was normal. Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Steven Stamkos, and Evgeni Malkin all re-signed for 5 years coming off their ELC and they re-signed again with their same teams for 8 years.

The only super star players at that time who did not re-sign for 5 years was Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin. They re-signed for 12 and 13 years each after their ELC, so it was before the NHL brought in the 7 and 8 year contract limits.

Reactions: Petrus and Ciao

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Gio would be Leafs best defenseman since Slaming. They would become cup favourites instantly. A Tronna boy playing for the team he cheered for as a kid. Toronto needs to add Nylander but they can make it happen.
Yea plan the f***ing parade.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Until Aaron Ekblad, Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel, and Leon Draisaitl signed for 8 years after their ELC, signing for 5 years at that point was normal. Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Steven Stamkos, and Evgeni Malkin all re-signed for 5 years coming off their ELC and they re-signed again with their same teams for 8 years.

The only super star players at that time who did not re-sign for 5 years was Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin. They re-signed for 12 and 13 years each after their ELC, so it was before the NHL brought in the 7 and 8 year contract limits.
Yeah signing for five years as a reason to leave was a story made up when Leafs signed Matthews. Of course, after five years he could choose to explore free agency, but it is unusual contrct not is it an indication that he will leave.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I get the concept behind the trade, in theory it fits really well for the Leafs. In practice though, Leafs are still praying that Matthews stays a Leaf once hitting UFA and should be betting on it. Losing Matthews is a long term loss for the Leafs pretty much regardless of what non-superstar centre they get in return.

Value is there, I would do it in NHL 20, but in reality Leafs are better off keeping Matthews. Though if Tavares waived his NMC....

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
With the rumor floating around for Monahan + Gaudreau, who says no ?

Cap wise it fits both team after the free agency, and Calgary can go after a goalie this fall.
both Toronto and Calgary upgrade their top 6 with:

Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Gaudreau/Monahan/Nylander

Tkachuk/Matthews/Lindholm
Mangiapane/Backlund or Bennett/Dube

let me try your style of trade
Kerfoot + Johnsson for Tkachuk who says no?
...and in all seriousness, the one i made (as a joke) is closer in value than yours.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
No Idea why the leafs would even think about this... Matthews is one of the top 10 players in this league and is still very young, putting up 100+ points a season. What would Monhan Gaudreau bring to them ?

Mathews most points in a season is actually 80. While Monahans is 82, and Gaudreaus is 99.

Leafs fans can be seriously difficult to take seriously. Unless its a joke im missing?

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
I get the concept behind the trade, in theory it fits really well for the Leafs. In practice though, Leafs are still praying that Matthews stays a Leaf once hitting UFA and should be betting on it. Losing Matthews is a long term loss for the Leafs pretty much regardless of what non-superstar centre they get in return.

Value is there, I would do it in NHL 20, but in reality Leafs are better off keeping Matthews. Though if Tavares waived his NMC....

I had Tavares in mind when I thought about this trade, but the NMC will never work out, he will die a Leafs, not Matthews.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Mathews most points in a season is actually 80. While Monahans is 82, and Gaudreaus is 99.

Leafs fans can be seriously difficult to take seriously. Unless its a joke im missing?
You are leaving out that Matthews was already at 47 goals with 12 games left when the regular season got suspended. So chances are he would have got at least 90 points or more if all 82 games were played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad