Moments in Jackets history - a thread

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Most memorable games I’ve been to were the inaugural game, Nash’s first game back with NYR, game 3 against the Pens in 2014 (Still my only playoff game I’ve been to. I mistimed it a game too early haha), 7-1 beatdown of the Pens, the last game of a mediocre year in like 2010 (only memorable bc I saw Tkachuck score his 500th goal, not really a CBJ memory) and the ASG (if that counts). I was also sadly at the game that ended the 16-game winning streak as I lived in DC at the time (but I did see a few wins of the streak over Christmas, including aforementioned 7-1 win over Pens).

Other big memories that I have of CBJ (but didn’t go to): the great Zherdev and Nash goals, the big 3-0 comeback against Anaheim back in like 05, Nash’s goal against Chi to send us to the playoffs for the first time, games 1 and 4 against Detroit, the entire last week of 2013 (and disappointment when we still didn’t get in even with that win on the final night), games 2 and 4 against Pittsburgh in 2014, we want 10, games 1 and 2 against Washington and basically the entire playoffs last year.

One game that I also went to that maybe some of you went to/remember: back in I think the first season after the 05 lockout, so the first season of the shootout, we were playing the Wild in like November/December. We were down 1-0 late in the game when Foote (BOOOOO) tied it with less than a minute left. In OT, the CBJ goalie (I think Martin Prusek) made an unbelievable diving stick save to save the game (it was the#1 play on SportsCenter that night). The shootout went something like 10 rounds which was by far the longest at that time in the short history of the shootout and the CBJ won. They led off SportsCenter talking about it, which was crazy to me.

It’s possible I misremembered / combined some of those details with multiple games, but I’m pretty sure that’s right. :laugh:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Most memorable games I’ve been to were the inaugural game, Nash’s first game back with NYR, game 3 against the Pens in 2014 (Still my only playoff game I’ve been to. I mistimed it a game too early haha), 7-1 beatdown of the Pens, the last game of a mediocre year in like 2010 (only memorable bc I saw Tkachuck score his 500th goal, not really a CBJ memory) and the ASG (if that counts). I was also sadly at the game that ended the 16-game winning streak as I lived in DC at the time (but I did see a few wins of the streak over Christmas, including aforementioned 7-1 win over Pens).

Other big memories that I have of CBJ (but didn’t go to): the great Zherdev and Nash goals, the big 3-0 comeback against Anaheim back in like 05, Nash’s goal against Chi to send us to the playoffs for the first time, games 1 and 4 against Detroit, the entire last week of 2013 (and disappointment when we still didn’t get in even with that win on the final night), games 2 and 4 against Pittsburgh in 2014, we want 10, games 1 and 2 against Washington and basically the entire playoffs last year.

One game that I also went to that maybe some of you went to/remember: back in I think the first season after the 05 lockout, so the first season of the shootout, we were playing the Wild in like November/December. We were down 1-0 late in the game when Foote (BOOOOO) tied it with less than a minute left. In OT, the CBJ goalie (I think Martin Prusek) made an unbelievable diving stick save to save the game (it was the#1 play on SportsCenter that night). The shootout went something like 10 rounds which was by far the longest at that time in the short history of the shootout and the CBJ won. They led off SportsCenter talking about it, which was crazy to me.

It’s possible I misremembered / combined some of those details with multiple games, but I’m pretty sure that’s right. :laugh:

I thought that Nash goal that clinched the first playoff berth would be easy to find. But the Prusek save is in this vid.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I'll always remember Calvert as one of the toughest guys this team had.

And then he left because Torts called him a toilet seat

Reactions: Derby

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I hope nobody takes offense at what I'm about to put up. But these are my Top 5 events in CBJ History that moved me to tears;

5. Brittany Cecil passing away a day after she is hit with a puck. My heart still aches for her family. I think this is not much remembered, but every time I notice netting around a rink, I think of her.
4. Matt Calvert scoring the game winner against the Rangers after 32 stitches.
3. Rick Nash's goal in Chicago to clinch Columbus' first playoff birth.
2. Opening Night vs. Chicago - October 2000
1. 4 game sweep over the Presidents Cup winner - Spring 2019

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Really enjoyed this thread. I'm actually quite surprised how many of these moments I've seen in person. Here's some of my commentary:

First game I went to, I was 5 and the Jackets lost 3-0 to the Oilers. At this point, I had no idea what hockey was or what the Jackets scoring a goal was like. Although, according to my dad, I fell in love with the sport immediately.

Brittanie Cecil game: This was the second game I ever went to. So this was a weird one for me, because the CBJ actually scored, and I had near no idea what happened. But I remember loving every second of the goal celebrations. I also, believe it or not, have a photographic memory of the exact play where Brittanie's injury occurred. I don't know why this stuck with me, but I still remember Knutsen's shot and it getting deflected. I also remember my dad trying to point out to me a couple minutes after that, that someone got hit with the puck, but I couldn't actually find what he was pointing at. This game stuck with me for sure.

Zherdev vs CHI: I couldn't believe that goal when it happened- I also remember watching him go through everyone, only to have the instant where the puck actually went in blocked by the guy in front of me's head. And then Balastik's goal in overtime. Great game.

Multiple games vs the Sabres: Sabres fans, even to a 10-12 year old were always annoying as f***. It was always great sending them home losers, and I saw us beat them in that one amazing season they had, and also the game where that weird Jurcina goal was scored.

08-09 season opener vs Preds: This game was sweet because it was Voracek, Filatov and I think a couple other guys first home game. Both Filly and Voracek scored if I remember correctly. Great game. To add to what was said about Filatov, I don't think it was the hat trick that ruined him, I still think it was that one huge open ice hit he took against the Sharks in one of those games in Sweden. Before that, he was still a great puck carrier, played fast, and even had a very good preseason stat line. After that, he was a perimeter player only. Damn shame, I loved that kid for awhile.

Playoffs vs Wings: Game 4 was phenomenal, I wanted to win that one so bad, and was so angry about the too many men call when the refs were clearly not calling shit all game. Also pissed because my parents got tickets to game 6, so we never actually went to a playoff game until the first Pens series.

Playoffs vs Pens: I didn't see our first ever playoff win live because I went to bed for some reason. No idea why. Luckily, I was at game 4. Still one of the only things in my life that gives me chills whenever I think about it. I remember wanting to leave the game when the Pens went up 3-0. Very, very glad I didn't. Amazing is the only way to describe it.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see game 4 vs the lightning in person, but god I wish I did. I told myself, no you'll go to a semi final or conference final game instead, what an idiot.

Also holy shit, I forgot Martin Prusek existed!

My one addition:

The game where Dalton Prout kicked Tom Wilson's ass. Because f*** Tom Wilson, and that was an amazing game regardless.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
08-09 season opener vs Preds: This game was sweet because it was Voracek, Filatov and I think a couple other guys first home game. Both Filly and Voracek scored if I remember correctly. Great game. To add to what was said about Filatov, I don't think it was the hat trick that ruined him, I still think it was that one huge open ice hit he took against the Sharks in one of those games in Sweden. Before that, he was still a great puck carrier, played fast, and even had a very good preseason stat line. After that, he was a perimeter player only. Damn shame, I loved that kid for awhile.

Playoffs vs Wings: Game 4 was phenomenal, I wanted to win that one so bad, and was so angry about the too many men call when the refs were clearly not calling shit all game. Also pissed because my parents got tickets to game 6, so we never actually went to a playoff game until the first Pens series.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I was doing some spring cleaning in my house and opened a box in the basement that I forgot even existed that contained the Dispatch's special section on the Jackets' inaugural game dated 10/05/2000 along with the following day's paper that summarized the game. Nice.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Brittanie Cecil will forever be a sad piece of CBJ history.

I saw a thing not too long ago that said she would be 32 now. I mean, I know it was a long time ago but to hear it framed like that...

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Brittanie Cecil will forever be a sad piece of CBJ history.

I saw a thing not too long ago that said she would be 32 now. I mean, I know it was a long time ago but to hear it framed like that...

When I was still a STH, my seats were in the lower bowl in Section 120 right behind the goal. Another family with young kids like my family sat in our row and their kids wore helmets. One game not long after the Brittany Cecil tragedy I recall Owen Nolan winding up for a slapper in the slot and the puck got deflected over the glass and hit a hand rail about ten feet to the left of that family. There was absolutely no time to react. The four of them got up and walked out very quietly; their seats were left unoccupied the rest of the season.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
When I was still a STH, my seats were in the lower bowl in Section 120 right behind the goal. Another family with young kids like my family sat in our row and their kids wore helmets. One game not long after the Brittany Cecil tragedy I recall Owen Nolan winding up for a slapper in the slot and the puck got deflected over the glass and hit a hand rail about ten feet to the left of that family. There was absolutely no time to react. The four of them got up and walked out very quietly; their seats were left unoccupied the rest of the season.
It still shocks me that protective nets behind the goal wasn't a common sense thing in professional arenas. It'd be terrifying.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
It still shocks me that protective nets behind the goal wasn't a common sense thing in professional arenas. It'd be terrifying.
I don't know how we went as long as we did before it finally happened. It's one of those things that stunned me that it didn't happen more often. Right up there with players and coaches getting injured by pucks on the bench, and eye injuries from stick blades.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I don't know how we went as long as we did before it finally happened. It's one of those things that stunned me that it didn't happen more often. Right up there with players and coaches getting injured by pucks on the bench, and eye injuries from stick blades.

Just my $.02, but I think that the emphasis on defensive hockey starting in the mid-90's has something to do with it. Where many slapshots used to get through all the way to the crease untouched in past (resulting in the puck staying in play almost every time), the defensive era saw guys like Craig Ludwig going to the ice in the slot to block or deflect slapshots from the point, with many of the deflections going over the glass vs. staying in play. When other teams saw the defensive approach working like it was in Dallas and NJ, they tried it also and added new wrinkles like getting a defensive stick on a shot just as it was hitting the offensive player's stick (among others). As a result, more pucks than ever were flying over the glass.

Again, that's just my theory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad