Moments in Jackets history - a thread

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Columbus as a market is still new to the NHL in historical perspective, but there have been some moments throughout the team's history that have been memorable, for one reason or another.

Here's a thread to share your CBJ memories, from the sublime to the (more likely) ridiculous. If you can find video evidence or your memory, great, but even if not, let's recall some of our team's history and our memories of it, one-ice and off, success and failures, or just crazy moments that dot our memory of our shared fandom.

With no hockey, let's see if we can talk some hockey.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Great idea. I'm going to try to only post videos of memorable CBJ things I saw in person. I miss NWA.

I remember being pretty damn hyped for this, my dad sitting next to me:

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Bread hitting the pipe in game 3 in OT vs WSH. I simply "knew" it was the turning point..

Sweeping the cocky, arrogant team from Florida last year. I mean obviously

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
That time when they were in a playoff spot by points but didn't get in the playoffs cuz the season ended.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
One weird goal I remember was defenceman Milan Jurcina lobbing the puck into the other end while going for a line change. It took an odd bounce off a stanchion and went into the goal. The poor tender had no idea where the puck was, it slipped in right behind his back. Jurcina only played the 09-10 season. I can't remember which team/goalie that was against. He played 17 games for the CBJ. That was his only goal.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
One weird goal I remember was defenceman Milan Jurcina lobbing the puck into the other end while going for a line change. It took an odd bounce off a stanchion and went into the goal. The poor tender had no idea where the puck was, it slipped in right behind his back. Jurcina only played the 09-10 season. I can't remember which team/goalie that was against. He played 17 games for the CBJ. That was his only goal.

Was against Buffalo and pretty sure Johan Hedberg (nope, Patrick Lalime) was the goalie. Looking for video now.

2:19 the play starts

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Great idea.

These are great for obvious reasons. I was at Game 3 of that Pens series and I will never forget the look on my buddy’s face when Dubi scored. If there was a picture in the dictionary next to the word disbelief, it would be his face. Literally a good 3-5 seconds of waiting this never happens FOR us.’

and I will never forget the volume of sound I made when Nick scored...nor the volume in the arena for both of those.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
I can't find the video, but Sanderson went coast to coast for a game winner in OT against the B's at home in the first season. Nationwide was going nuts. I spilled a beer all over a woman next to me....she was a good sport about it.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Zherdev's first goal, that got disallowed because the Preds defenseman he destroyed behind the net ended up falling on it and making it rock slightly, nullifying the goal. He ended up getting his first real one later in the game.

The best one I've seen live is wunderkind Andrej Nedorost breaking down the wing, eluding an Erskine hip check by the wall by faceoff dot, he cuts to middle and beats Turco like a redheaded stepchild.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Great idea. I'm going to try to only post videos of memorable CBJ things I saw in person. I miss NWA.

I was there for this one. Filatov was in the middle of that stretch of games where we had to decide to keep him and burn the first year of his contract, or send him back down.

I saw this and jumped up and yelled to no one in particular “hey mom, can we keep him!!??!?!!?”

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

The best moment of his NHL career, and also what I believe the beginning of his downfall in the NHL.

IIRC (this could be wrong, I was barely a teenager when all this happened) but he was up in the NHL at this point in time because of injuries and he was playing very well for Syracuse. He was doing all the right things, following the coaches advice, and doing his best defensively while showing effort in improving. Then, of course, the hat trick happened. After that I think he had a sort of pride or arrogance that he had arrived as a player. He was #1 on THN top prospects list (ahead of Steven Stamkos, Doughty, and others), impressive production in the AHL on NA ice for the first time consistently as an 18 year old, and now he was starting to bloom at the NHL level. I think he stopped listening to his coaches and stopped being the kid he was when he first arrived. He didn't last long up here before getting sent back to Syracuse as a wake up call (IIRC this same sort of arrogance also occurred with Steve Mason the year after his rookie season, and Hitchcock tried to get Howson to send him down and he refused), but it didn't work. Filatov was too far gone, and even the demotion saw him acting out of character and his production wasn't as good as it was before the hat trick.

Then we all know what happened the next year. He makes the team, has a falling out with Hitch, and goes back to Russia. Unrelated, but the young guys on the team (Brassard, Mason, Russell, Voracek) mutiny on the coach and Hitch is out. The team implodes. The next year Filatov gets a fresh start with Arniel, and doesn't do much better, gets sent to the minors for a while (or rides the bench, I forget which) and traded out of town in that summer.

Was this bound to happen before the hat trick? Yeah, probably. But I think the hat trick inflated that already big ego to the point of no return.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
The best moment of his NHL career, and also what I believe the beginning of his downfall in the NHL.

IIRC (this could be wrong, I was barely a teenager when all this happened) but he was up in the NHL at this point in time because of injuries and he was playing very well for Syracuse. He was doing all the right things, following the coaches advice, and doing his best defensively while showing effort in improving. Then, of course, the hat trick happened. After that I think he had a sort of pride or arrogance that he had arrived as a player. He was #1 on THN top prospects list (ahead of Steven Stamkos, Doughty, and others), impressive production in the AHL on NA ice for the first time consistently as an 18 year old, and now he was starting to bloom at the NHL level. I think he stopped listening to his coaches and stopped being the kid he was when he first arrived. He didn't last long up here before getting sent back to Syracuse as a wake up call (IIRC this same sort of arrogance also occurred with Steve Mason the year after his rookie season, and Hitchcock tried to get Howson to send him down and he refused), but it didn't work. Filatov was too far gone, and even the demotion saw him acting out of character and his production wasn't as good as it was before the hat trick.

Then we all know what happened the next year. He makes the team, has a falling out with Hitch, and goes back to Russia. Unrelated, but the young guys on the team (Brassard, Mason, Russell, Voracek) mutiny on the coach and Hitch is out. The team implodes. The next year Filatov gets a fresh start with Arniel, and doesn't do much better, gets sent to the minors for a while (or rides the bench, I forget which) and traded out of town in that summer.

Was this bound to happen before the hat trick? Yeah, probably. But I think the hat trick inflated that already big ego to the point of no return.

I pretty much agree. It was inevitable, but that sticks out as a pivotal moment. I'll never forget him trash talking Stamkos' rookie year before he ever played a game in the NHL haha.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

I remember being upset when we drafted Filatov because (perhaps unfairly) I was worried he’d be like Zherdev. I remember being reassured he was different; he spoke English and the scouts did their homework on him. And it started off great.

Turns out he ended up even worse. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->