Confirmed with Link: [MOD WARNING post #272] CBJ acquire Provorov for LA first round pick (#22), conditional ‘24 or ‘25 2nd round pick

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ignoring the off ice stuff for a second, I thought 22 was a LITTLE bit steep for Provorov but I could swallow it.

22 AND 34/future second? Yeah, I don’t like that.

The price seems normal for a generic second pair D, so it isn't that surprising in that regard. But with all the issues around Provorov I would have thought we wouldn't have to move multiple picks for him.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
We just hired Babcock. We’re full on nuking the locker room.

Too bad. They just redid it, no?

A 1st & a 2nd for two years for a medicare Dman who the Flyers were trying to dump in the worst way possible? Good grief.

Not paying this team a dime with him on the roster. This franchise is a joke and JD & Jarmo have been here 10 years. Time for them to hit the road.

Reactions: Jovavic and LoveCBJ

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
So agents, flyer management, teammates AND the scouts ALL went to whoever diddles with flyerinsider.com whining about the guy?!
Quite the scoop...

Ehhhh...

I just grabbed the first link after a 3-second Google, which all of you are welcome to do.

I responded because I don't follow the "player perception issues" part of the post I quoted.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I just grabbed the first link after a 3-second Google, which all of you are welcome to do.

I responded because I don't follow the "player perception issues" part of the post I quoted.
No biggie. You didn't write it or make it up.

Its kinda comical to picture a parade of agents and all the others hanging out in an nhl locker room waiting to dig stuff up on Player. Plus it's a year old.

Time will tell...

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The price seems normal for a generic second pair D, so it isn't that surprising in that regard. But with all the issues around Provorov I would have thought we wouldn't have to move multiple picks for him.
the 4.7mil caphit probably played a part in the cost. Good with potential for great

Reactions: MissADD

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I wonder if them trading multiple picks was what made salary retention possible? I know this is a messy trade, but all three teams won in terms of what they want with the cap

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I'm pretty confident saying this likely nullifies any trade for Kevin Hayes.
It would have happened in the same trade if it was going to happen.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've decided that, until we know otherwise, the conditions on the picks are that if he skips a warmup for any reason the 2nd going to the Flyers goes from 2024 to 2025, and if he creates another major public controversy the Flyers don't get a 2nd at all.

Is this even legal under the CBA? Damned if I know. Probably not. But, hey, we've got so many others here already blithely posting silliness based entirely on their personal biases, so I suppose it's only fair I get to join in. :)

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I wonder if them trading multiple picks was what made salary retention possible? I know this is a messy trade, but all three teams won in terms of what they want with the cap
Yes, I would say the 1st for Provorov and the 2nd is for the 30% salary retention, basically.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I'm pretty confident saying this likely nullifies any trade for Kevin Hayes.
It would have happened in the same trade if it was going to happen.
Probably, but this trade had a lot of moving pieces so I could see them separating it to uncomplicate things a bit.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Here's a pretty timely article from The Athletic on Provorov, from 4 days ago:

I've decided that, until we know otherwise, the conditions on the picks are that if he skips a warmup for any reason the 2nd going to the Flyers goes from 2024 to 2025, and if he creates another major public controversy the Flyers don't get a 2nd at all.

Is this even legal under the CBA? Damned if I know. Probably not. But, hey, we've got so many others here already blithely posting silliness based entirely on their personal biases, so I suppose it's only fair I get to join in. :)

Someone posted on the mains that CBJ gets to (must) choose after the '24 first round concludes whether the 2nd round pick is in '24 or '25, but I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere. I hope it's as simple as that!

Reactions: Viqsi

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
"Improving our blue line has been a priority for us and acquiring Ivan gives us an established left-shot defenseman who is still a young player with his best seasons in front of him," said Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen. "He immediately improves our group on defense as he is durable, has great skill, skates well, is an excellent passer with an accurate shot and can effectively play at both ends of the ice."

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
That’s even without Jiricek who’s likely our best RHD in no time
Cool its not this years 2nd, makes it much easier. Not a bad deal, atleast he'll have a defenseman above him in the lineup which should help. Significantly better defense than we saw last year but a weird mix again. Something like thid as it stands today?

Werenski-Boqvist
Provorov-Peeke
Bean-Gudbranson

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Back in the day, I wanted Provorov instead of Werenski in the draft. Today, I do feel this improves the team, and think that Provorov's decline is too personally charged to him rather than the Flyers as a whole- I think he's an ideal 2nd pairing defenseman if he can regain his form, but I wish I could feel as happy about this as I would have back in 2015.

The off-ice and PR controversies that come along with this acquisition are really just a damn shame. Otherwise I would be really happy with it, and pretty confident that he will turn around his play. He definitely needed a change of scenery.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Back in the day, I wanted Provorov instead of Werenski in the draft. Today, I do feel this improves the team, and think that Provorov's decline is too personally charged to him rather than the Flyers as a whole- I think he's an ideal 2nd pairing defenseman if he can regain his form, but I wish I could feel as happy about this as I would have back in 2015.

The off-ice and PR controversies that come along with this acquisition are really just a damn shame. Otherwise I would be really happy with it, and pretty confident that he will turn around his play. He definitely needed a change of scenery.
I mean you don’t have to go too far to see how a bad team system affects a defensive player - look at Gavrikov, most people here crossed him off and called hot garbage and then he went to LA and had a ridiculous stretch of solid games with all the extended stats confirming it.

Provorov was their best d man until Flyers went off rails.

He’s typically solid defensively and see what he can do on offense as well

Our LHD top 4 with Werenski and Provorov is already among the best in the league

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
"Improving our blue line has been a priority for us and acquiring Ivan gives us an established left-shot defenseman who is still a young player with his best seasons in front of him," said Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen. "He immediately improves our group on defense as he is durable, has great skill, skates well, is an excellent passer with an accurate shot and can effectively play at both ends of the ice."

He's durable. Great. What's the over/under on him going on IR in the first month of the season.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I mean you don’t have to go too far to see how a bad team system affects a defensive player - look at Gavrikov, most people here crossed him off and called hot garbage and then he went to LA and had a ridiculous stretch of solid games with all the extended stats confirming it.

Provorov was their best d man until Flyers went off rails.

He’s typically solid defensively and see what he can do on offense as well

Our LHD top 4 with Werenski and Provorov is already among the best in the league

Yeah, I agree. I still think he is or will be a solid player. I also like that he is still only 26.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Could we just not. What's next, who can we trade for or hire to complete the offseason trifecta? Quenneville somehow?

He better play well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad