Confirmed with Link: [MOD WARNING post #272] CBJ acquire Provorov for LA first round pick (#22), conditional ‘24 or ‘25 2nd round pick

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Provorov is going to be great on the Jackets. The only time he had adequate support in Philly is when he was paired with Niskanen and he was awesome. Provorov is the perfect number 2 defenseman and will be a horse behind Werenski. The Jackets have a very nice D corps right now and still have Jiricek ready to make the full-time leap.
Love your optimism but even if we assume Provorov will serve as a solid 2LD, we don't know what kind of support he's going to get from his partner.

Severson is likely the 1RD next year. Boqvist and Blankenburg haven't proved they could be legitimate 2RD. Jiricek might not be NHL-ready yet. Ceulemans probably needs another year or two in the AHL. Other righties in the system are bottom-pair caliber.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Love your optimism but even if we assume Provorov will serve as a solid 2LD, we don't know what kind of support he's going to get from his partner.

Severson is likely the 1RD next year. Boqvist and Blankenburg haven't proved they could be legitimate 2RD. Jiricek might not be NHL-ready yet. Ceulemans probably needs another year or two in the AHL. Other righties in the system are bottom-pair caliber.
I actually feel like Provorov might benefit from a guy like Peeke rather than a Boqvist. Peeke handles the puck like a grenade but he might be able to let Provorov free roam a bit more.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I actually feel like Provorov might benefit from a guy like Peeke rather than a Boqvist. Peeke handles the puck like a grenade but he might be able to let Provorov free roam a bit more.
Completely forgot Peeke. For me he falls into same category as Blanks and Bo, there's a slim chance everything goes right in his development and he will start to look like an okay 2RD but I'm not holding my breath.

It's probably better for the team if Provorov is paired with someone who can defend to some extent so I agree that Peeke makes more sense on paper than Boqvist.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Living in Philly and watching most games with Provorov over the years, and many in person, I can assure you that Provorov will be a huge surprise for Jackets fans. He is at his best when he's paired with a steady partner who doesn't gamble or make glaring mistakes. Provorov can play the game any way you like, but he prefers to take some chances here and there.

He's also never been sheltered like he will be in Columbus. He was always the Flyers de facto number 1 and forced to punch above his weight class without much support. He's also a warrior -- I've seen this cat play through injuries that would keep most players out for a couple of weeks.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Are we better when he goes the free agent route in 2 years?
As someone else said, we can recoup most of his cost and in two years more of our young D will be ready. The team still needs to win while the young kids are baking in leagues that will help them instead of throwing them into the NHL fire and hoping for the best, you know, like we used to.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
As someone else said, we can recoup most of his cost and in two years more of our young D will be ready. The team still needs to win while the young kids are baking in leagues that will help them instead of throwing them into the NHL fire and hoping for the best, you know, like weif used to.
in two years:
  • if they're not competitive, they trade provorov at the 2025 deadline and recoup what they paid for him initially
  • if they are competitive, they keep him for the playoff run and let mateychuk/svozil play sheltered third pair minutes
  • if mateychuk/svozil both end up totally bombing, the jackets can extend provorov regardless of whether or not they're in a playoff spot
there's no downside to the term at all lol

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
in two years:
  • if they're not competitive, they trade provorov at the 2025 deadline and recoup what they paid for him initially
  • if they are competitive, they keep him for the playoff run and let mateychuk/svozil play sheltered third pair minutes
  • if mateychuk/svozil both end up totally bombing, the jackets can extend provorov regardless of whether or not they're in a playoff spot
there's no downside to the term at all lol

-His trade value might go down.
-If he does have value, you don’t keep an asset with value unless you think you have a reasonable shot at the Cup, which we won’t.
-He has to agree to stay. Also his cap hit to the CBJ will greatly increase because we aren’t carrying his full cap hit now.

I still see it as a bad trade.

If it had to be made, I would rather have not had any salary retained and traded less for him.

Fire the whole front office.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
His trade value might go down.
such is the case with every single asset in the sport. likewise, every asset in the sport can see their value go up.

as such, it's useless to let that kind of scared thinking impact your decision-making process.

there are no 'perfect' moves. you can point to any flaw in any transaction as a reason why it's a bad idea (i.e. severson's deal being too long, provorov's being too short) but at the end of the day, the goal is to make the strongest roster possible. at some point, you have to acquire, extend, trade or waive players in order to make that happen.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
-If he does have value, you don’t keep an asset with value unless you think you have a reasonable shot at the Cup, which we won’t.
-He has to agree to stay. Also his cap hit to the CBJ will greatly increase because we aren’t carrying his full cap hit now.

If it had to be made, I would rather have not had any salary retained and traded less for him.

His value could also go up.
That actually doesn’t take a lot from him.

They did what about every fan was screaming for a year or 2 and when they did it they shouldn’t have done it

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

I think the only real risk in this trade is the same risk every team takes with every player. He could have a career threatening injury. That's about it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That's true, we should trade everyone on the roster and just become an AHL team, you wouldn't want someone's value to go down on you.

In reality, you need a minimal level of competence on your team to best develop your young players. We were below that level last year. We desperately need players like Provorov to get off the floor. We can't just sell all the time until our team is amazing. There has to be an in between.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
But we could have done nothing and had another top pick :sarcasm:. Would have cried about it all year but be rewarded in the end.
Yeah nothing like having Bean as your 2LHD all year and Berni as your 3LHD.

But we all knew that pick was going to be a rental/break glass in case of emergency option. You couldn't have gone on the free market for a Graves because they would want term (which he did) unless you wanted an older player like Ian Cole to fill that spot until Mateychuck was ready (and god forbid if he busted out at that point). Jarmo clearly does not want to clog up the left side as we spend so much draft capital on that side with several viable prospects and is expected to turn over those positions in 2 years unless something drastic happens. Even if that happens you now have a viable 2LHD to pay for a long term. Paying for a FA 2LHD to significant term is such a waste of those previous draft capital expenses which is why we traded off Gavrikov, it wasn't the money it was the term. It also pretty much all but confirmed that Jarmo desperately wanted Chychrun and since we didn't get him Provorov is basically his backup plan to that idea. They both have similar term and contract value. This was his plan all along.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
That's true, we should trade everyone on the roster and just become an AHL team, you wouldn't want someone's value to go down on you.

In reality, you need a minimal level of competence on your team to best develop your young players. We were below that level last year. We desperately need players like Provorov to get off the floor. We can't just sell all the time until our team is amazing. There has to be an in between.

I agree that we need some competent veteran leadership on the back end. Do you see Provorov as the kind of guy you want as a leader on the team influencing young guys? Because I certainly don’t. Provorov’s biggest plus is he doesn’t miss games. But you have a team in Philadelphia that really needs a competent veteran defenseman on their team, and I don’t know any Philly fans that are sad that he is gone. Does that make you wonder if this was the right move?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I agree that we need some competent veteran leadership on the back end. Do you see Provorov as the kind of guy you want as a leader on the team influencing young guys? Because I certainly don’t. Provorov’s biggest plus is he doesn’t miss games. But you have a team in Philadelphia that really needs a competent veteran defenseman on their team, and I don’t know any Philly fans that are sad that he is gone. Does that make you wonder if this was the right move?
A team embracing a rebuild is supposed to be sad when 1 of their few competent players gets moved? He played above his head with horrible partners most of his time in Philly. Not a coincidence he played his best paired with Niskanen. Here a large portion of the burden is removed from him assuming Werenski stays healthy and even if he doesnt he atleast has some history at being the guy with not much around him.

Feels like when acquired Ristolainen based on comments instead of Provorov

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We don't need him to be a leader in the locker room we already have a defensive leader and his name is Werenski. Another guy who gets a lot of shit but is apparently a great locker room guy... Is Gudbranson.

We need Provorov to play what he's capable of doing. He was top 20 in TOI in the league last year. You know who else was top 40 in TOI last season? Peeke. Provorov should be probably in the 30-60 range next season depending on Z being healthy. And Peeke shouldn't be in the top 60, let alone the top 40 in the entire league when he's slotted properly. Replacing that TOI with competent play should do wonders for the team.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
How do we even know Provorov has attitude issues? Because he doesnt want to wear a colorful jersey and got tired of playing on a trash, directionless team for years? Only now that Briere is there are they commiting to something, hiring Fletcher really set them back for years

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Two Provorov red flags for me:

The last few seasons Flyers fans have wanted to trade him​

Torts, whose knowledge of defensive hockey I appreciate, is the coach when Philadelphia was willing to trade him with 2 years left on his contract.​

Part of me thinks Torts half jokingly told the Philly leadership that they should trade Provorov to Columbus because Jarmo doesn’t know much about defense.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Two Provorov red flags for me:

The last few seasons Flyers fans have wanted to trade him​
Torts, whose knowledge of defensive hockey I appreciate, is the coach when Philadelphia was willing to trade him with 2 years left on his contract.​

Part of me thinks Torts half jokingly told the Philly leadership that they should trade Provorov to Columbus because Jarmo doesn’t know much about defense.
Neither of those "flags" remotely has any meaning. I know you're loud so you think you're right, but you're out to lunch on this. The Flyers wanted to trade him because they're rebuilding. They had an asset they could get something for and so they traded him. It's not a grand conspiracy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad