Confirmed with Link: [MOD WARNING post #272] CBJ acquire Provorov for LA first round pick (#22), conditional ‘24 or ‘25 2nd round pick

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Boston
Carolina
New Jersey
Toronto
NY Rangers
Tampa Bay
NY Islanders
Florida
—————-
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Ottawa
Detroit
Washington
Philadelphia
Montreal
Columbus

I really don’t see playoff hunt. Passing Montreal, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington is a maybe if Washington and Pittsburg finally collapse. Maybe getting into the Detroit and Ottawa up and coming realm is possible. But I think the top 9 teams are the teams that made the playoffs last year plus Buffalo and then there is a gap. Maybe Ottawa or Detroit makes a step up. My guess is we finish 11th or 12th in the Eastern Conference.

Just look at Metro instead.

There’s currently only 3 good teams separating themselves.

Was/Pens are at the end of their runs with limited ceilings.
Flyers are heading into rebuild
NYI have a pretty average lineup and not much of a prospect pool to get improvements from.

So you can definitely build a competitive team for the Metro next season. Doesn’t mean they’ll make it

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

NYI have a pretty average lineup and not much of a prospect pool to get improvements from.

So you can definitely build a competitive team for the Metro next season. Doesn’t mean they’ll make it

My way too early prediction (with only 3 Metro teams in the playoffs and the Jackets finishing 6th in the Metro):

Carolina
New Jersey
Florida
Buffalo
NY Rangers
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Boston

———

NY Islanders
Detroit
Pittsburgh or Washington
Ottawa
Columbus
Pittsburgh or Washington (one of these teams has a bigger collapse than the other, but I don’t know which one)
Philadelphia
Montreal

Carolina and New Jersey feast on those crappy Metro teams and battle for the best record in the Eastern Conference.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

Yup, exactly how I see it as well.

However, I do see the Pens go all the way this and next year to have Sid and Geno one more run before the retirement. Also, doubt the Caps go into a rebuild and will likely be aggressive until Ovechkin scores 895.

At this point only the Flyers are in the full force rebuild in Metro

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Korpi was 11-11-2 with half an AHL roster which is a 72 point pace. They need a save and crazy things can happen.
Basically adding Werenski/Provorov(at the expense of Gavrikov)/potentially Jiricek to the D is massive on its own.
Texier, Voronkov, a year older for the kids and specifically Johnson.
Finally add the coach who you can question to no end but he does get his teams to work hard. I also think he'll do better hiding Peeke and Gudbranson shortcomings if they are both around

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In other Provorov related news...I wonder if the smoke from the Canadien wildfires is clouding our judgement about the 2025 draft.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Basically adding Werenski/Provorov(at the expense of Gavrikov)/potentially Jiricek to the D is massive on its own.
Texier, Voronkov, a year older for the kids and specifically Johnson.

Adding kids often makes the team less competitive, I'm hoping we're past the stage where we just hand them minutes. They either need to be helping or be sent to Cleveland until they can help. That's definitely true for Jiricek and still true for Cole Sillinger. I'd still love to know whose idea it was to keep him in the NHL last year when he was struggling.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Adding kids often makes the team less competitive, I'm hoping we're past the stage where we just hand them minutes. They either need to be helping or be sent to Cleveland until they can help. That's definitely true for Jiricek and still true for Cole Sillinger. I'd still love to know whose idea it was to keep him in the NHL last year when he was struggling.
I think I heard somewhere that Babcock wasnt shy about sitting players

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
There was also a big thing in Toronto that Babcock apparently wanted a D over Marner and some believe that started whatever you call their situation. Now funny enough he has 2 of the top drafted D from that draft to work with now. Im somewhat curious what he does with Werenski but very curious what he does with Provorov

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I agree that he's capable, I just think ideally he's not someone we are relying on to carry a top line workload.
To be clear, “top line” is not the same as “top 6”, which is what I believe was your initial claim, and what most (all) disagree with.

While I do think he could still compliment a couple offensive players in a top line (on the wing) or in a “net front” position on a 1st PP, I don’t think anybody is saying it’s “ideal” or a “good thing” for Jenner to be playing on the top line.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yup, exactly how I see it as well.

However, I do see the Pens go all the way this and next year to have Sid and Geno one more run before the retirement. Also, doubt the Caps go into a rebuild and will likely be aggressive until Ovechkin scores 895.

At this point only the Flyers are in the full force rebuild in Metro

Pens can try to do that but they’ve done nothing in the last 5 years or so.

They have the oldest core in the league and based on history really difficult to see them stay healthy for 82 game season.

Old teams just don’t do well in this league anymore.
People say well Boston was elite but Bostons best players this year were all under 30.

Pasta, Hart finalist
McAvoy, top5 Dman in the league
Lindholm, 1D
Ullmark Vezina winner most likely.

Pens don’t have anything close to them and there are not going to be any players like that on the market and they don’t have the trade assets to go all in

I doubt we’ll see any massive improvements from the Caps either. It’s been about as long as the Pens since they’ve done something in the playoffs.
Ovy breaking that record seem to be the most important thing for them right now, not heading into full rebuild but neither going all in for the Cup

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
My way too early prediction (with only 3 Metro teams in the playoffs and the Jackets finishing 6th in the Metro):

Carolina
New Jersey
Florida
Buffalo
NY Rangers
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Boston

———

NY Islanders
Detroit
Pittsburgh or Washington
Ottawa
Columbus
Pittsburgh or Washington (one of these teams has a bigger collapse than the other, but I don’t know which one)
Philadelphia
Montreal

Carolina and New Jersey feast on those crappy Metro teams and battle for the best record in the Eastern Conference.

The spots from 4-7 in Metro are wide open.

So far in the offseason Columbus has made by far the biggest improvements and they will want to add more.

Babcock over Larsen
Werenski over Gavrikov
Provorov over AHL player

Anything from 4-7 will be possible for next season

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The spots from 4-7 in Metro are wide open.

So far in the offseason Columbus has made by far the biggest improvements and they will want to add more.

Babcock over Larsen
Werenski over Gavrikov
Provorov over AHL player

Anything from 4-7 will be possible for next season

Remember when the best 5 Metro teams would make the playoffs. I think we are now there with the Atlantic. I suspect 4 is on the outside looking in for the next couple of seasons. And I don’t think we will be 4 next year. Maybe we have a shot at 4 in 2025. Our guys will be golfing as the playoffs take place.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Remember when the best 5 Metro teams would make the playoffs. I think we are now there with the Atlantic. I suspect 4 is on the outside looking in for the next couple of seasons. And I don’t think we will be 4 next year. Maybe we have a shot at 4 in 2025. Our guys will be golfing as the playoffs take place.

If all goes well I could see us 4th in the division and 9th in the conference as soon as this coming year. But I can't imagine who we'd climb over to get in, not for a couple years. The top 8 is so good and Ottawa, Montreal, and maybe Detroit will improve a lot too.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Any guesses on when he's going to share his thoughts on joining CBJ? Still enjoying vacation and unable to give comments from that mysterious "remote island"? I don't recall any new Jacket going radio silent for this long after a trade since Carter.

Maybe they're planning to do a one big press conference in July featuring Babcock, Severson, Backstrom, Provorov and a new center signed to anticipated albatross extension ( :sarcasm: )?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Any guesses on when he's going to share his thoughts on joining CBJ? Still enjoying vacation and unable to give comments from that mysterious "remote island"? I don't recall any new Jacket going radio silent for this long after a trade since Carter.

Maybe they're planning to do a one big press conference in July featuring Babcock, Severson, Backstrom, Provorov and a new center signed to anticipated albatross extension ( :sarcasm: )?
Didnt Panarin take awhile to comment because he was in a remote cabin with no cell service?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad