Confirmed Signing with Link: (Mod warning OP)[TBL] Brayden Point signs with the Lightning (3 years, $6.75M AAV)

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Should fire his agent for not taking him at least to UFA.

Damn that's a good contract for TB though.

Edit: Maybe it might not be. If Point produces more, TB may have to pay for it later.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Because he is still RFA after this deal?

It’s a lot different than Matthews walking straight to the desert in five years.

He'll likely have a huge salary on year 3 of his deal, basically turning this deal into a 4 year deal that takes him straight to UFA.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Interesting. Great short term contract for both sides, hes going to get paid later on though. Makes me think that Tkachuk isnt happy with this, Flames should be able to sign him for a cheap short term contract now.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Makes you wonder what TBL's 1st offer was. Half-way through training camp, one assumes 6.75 is what they upped the offer to.

At this price, seems like a deal could have been done a long time ago. Maybe the QO is in the 11-12 range? Was Tampa being ultra-stingy or did Point just cave? So many questions!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He'll likely have a huge salary on year 3 of his deal, basically turning this deal into a 4 year deal that takes him straight to UFA.

Right. TB didn't buy out any UFA years so of course his AAV was going to be much less than guys like Aho (1 year) and Marner (2 years).

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Makes you wonder what TBL's 1st offer was. Half-way through training camp, one assumes 6.75 is what they upped the offer to.

At this price, seems like a deal could have been done a long time ago. Maybe the QO is in the 11-12 range? Was Tampa being ultra-stingy or did Point just cave? So many questions!

I think it was reported at 5.66

Reactions: CanuckCity

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017

It was 5.5m x 3 or somewhere around that I think.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
About as good as we reasonably could have hoped for. Still gonna lose some people next summer but this deal continues the team’s tradition of reasonable post-ELC contracts and gives us our best realistic chance at retaining our key RFAs. And now we don’t need to worry about Point until Palat comes off the books, at which time we can afford to give him the big payday he wants.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol wat? You think he’ll only sign a one year deal after this one?

It's either he signs a long term deal at or above his very high QO or he gets a 1 year QO that takes him straight to UFA. This puts Point in control of negotiations in 3 years, he either gets what he wants or he takes the very high QO (probably around $10 million if I had to guess) and heads to UFA.

Reactions: JayF

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Initial offer was 5.7 apparently.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Interested how they will structure the salary

Same. I'm curious to see how high his QO will be at the end of this deal. We've seen a couple other bridges already this summer where the AAV seems low to reasonable, but the salary is structured such that the next contract will have a significantly higher minimum.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad