NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft Poll: 22nd Overall Pick

Who Should the New York Rangers Select 22nd Overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What interests me about Khusnutdinov is not is ceiling, it’s the attributes you listed that could one day make for a good—even pivotal—bottom-6 forward.

This is what I’m talking about (stolen from NHL Draft - Prospects board). Everything in here just screams “perfect #3C”:

NHL.com Scouting Report: Explosive two-way center. Flashy, skilled and an offensive threat on every shift. A leader and team player. Wins battles and plays with a lot of confidence.
Final Rank: 12
Height: 5-11
Weight: 176
Birthplace: Moscow, Russia
Shoots: Left
One of the youngest players eligible in the draft, Khusnutdinov put in the work as a 17-year-old in Russia's top junior league. The Moscow native recorded 38 points (13g/25a) in 44 games with SKA St. Petersburg's junior club last season, the top team in the league during the 2019-20 campaign. Experts say he's a puck hound and responsible player in all three zones (offensive, defensive and neutral). Highly skilled and a gifted skater, Khusnutdinov captained Team Russia to gold at the 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup with three assists/points in five games. He also earned a gold medal at the 2018 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge (2g/3a in six games) and silver at the 2019 Under-18 World Championship (1g/2a in seven games).

"Smart, cagey and understands how to play with a multitude of players and in different situations. Has a understated skill level, but when you package everything together, he's a good player." -- TSN's Craig Butt

"Khusnutdinov has been a leader for Russia's 2002 age group for years and was very impressive with his junior club this season, which was the best in MHL. He has high-end skill components to his game. He's able to make highly creative plays with the puck, improvise in tough situations and be very coordinated in small spaces. He sees the ice very well and can make tough dishes to teammates. He's a great skater too, using his speed to beat defenders wide and making hard plays to the net. He competes hard, frequently getting to the tough areas in the offensive zone and killing penalties well. Khusnutdinov isn't special at any one thing and he's undersized, but it's the combination of his skill, speed and very high compete level that equals a projected NHL player." -- The Athletic's Corey Pronm

"On a loaded team that didn't play him on the top line or power play unit for much of the season, Khusnutdinov put together an impressive rookie season in the MHL - and did it while spending the entire year as a 17-year-old. Khusnutdinov makes plays all over the ice, he's a responsible three-zone player, he doesn't shy away from playing to the interior, he's got enough skill to make plays from the exterior and he tracks the play exceptionally well. That last tool helps him intercept pucks or find space in the offensive zone. He's a long-term project but I see a player who continues to maximize his skill set and makes the most out of his career." -- The Athletic's Scott

If I had to guess, based on clues, I would say the Rangers are one of the teams that have Greig, Khusnutdinov and Reichel higher than Bourque.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
And that's kind of why I think Greig could be a primary target for them at 22. Maybe he tops out at 20 goals and 40 points. But he gives him them a different look in their lineup as well. I think he has enough skill that he'll contribute, so long as people can accept that he might not match other draftees goal for goal or point for point.

But, as you said, we might not need him to be that guy. We might need him to be that guy that other teams want to get from us.

Going forward the Rangers have Panarin, Zibanejad, Kakko, Lafreniere and Kreider in their top 6 and Buchnevich is capable of being top 6 as well but I think there is some likelihood he moves--some likelihood Strome moves and Chytil hopefully enough will move in for Strome and there's a really fine top 6 if Kakko and Chytil improve enough anyway and Lafreniere does what he's suppose to. There should be a lot of goals--you want your 3rd or 4th liners to contribute offense too but they're also a different animal. You need these guys to grind and battle and pound the opposition and do the more unappreciated things like kill penalties. We've got the pieces for the top 6--it's what's in the bottom 6 that we're going to have to figure out. This is one of the reasons I have to see more from someone like Gauthier---he's got the size and speed and he scored a lot of goals in the AHL but I'm not that worried about goals from him--I want him using his size and pounding the other team. I want Lemieux to play hard but smarter and more disciplined than he has so far. Howden to put on more weight and strength--then they become more useful--then they can really fit into their roles well or better anyway. To me a lot comes down to any given player understanding what he needs to do and being good at that and if we draft someone like Greig I'm not worrying about him turning into the next Brad Marchand (though that would be nice). I want him to find his niche on the team and fill it well and if it's the third line and he's good at it---that's a positive.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What interests me about Khusnutdinov is not is ceiling, it’s the attributes you listed that could one day make for a good—even pivotal—bottom-6 forward.

This is what I’m talking about (stolen from NHL Draft - Prospects board). Everything in here just screams “perfect #3C”:

NHL.com Scouting Report: Explosive two-way center. Flashy, skilled and an offensive threat on every shift. A leader and team player. Wins battles and plays with a lot of confidence.
One of the youngest players eligible in the draft, Khusnutdinov put in the work as a 17-year-old in Russia's top junior league. The Moscow native recorded 38 points (13g/25a) in 44 games with SKA St. Petersburg's junior club last season, the top team in the league during the 2019-20 campaign. Experts say he's a puck hound and responsible player in all three zones (offensive, defensive and neutral). Highly skilled and a gifted skater, Khusnutdinov captained Team Russia to gold at the 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup with three assists/points in five games. He also earned a gold medal at the 2018 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge (2g/3a in six games) and silver at the 2019 Under-18 World Championship (1g/2a in seven games).

"Smart, cagey and understands how to play with a multitude of players and in different situations. Has a understated skill level, but when you package everything together, he's a good player." -- TSN's Craig Butt

"Khusnutdinov has been a leader for Russia's 2002 age group for years and was very impressive with his junior club this season, which was the best in MHL. He has high-end skill components to his game. He's able to make highly creative plays with the puck, improvise in tough situations and be very coordinated in small spaces. He sees the ice very well and can make tough dishes to teammates. He's a great skater too, using his speed to beat defenders wide and making hard plays to the net. He competes hard, frequently getting to the tough areas in the offensive zone and killing penalties well. Khusnutdinov isn't special at any one thing and he's undersized, but it's the combination of his skill, speed and very high compete level that equals a projected NHL player." -- The Athletic's Corey Pronm

"On a loaded team that didn't play him on the top line or power play unit for much of the season, Khusnutdinov put together an impressive rookie season in the MHL - and did it while spending the entire year as a 17-year-old. Khusnutdinov makes plays all over the ice, he's a responsible three-zone player, he doesn't shy away from playing to the interior, he's got enough skill to make plays from the exterior and he tracks the play exceptionally well. That last tool helps him intercept pucks or find space in the offensive zone. He's a long-term project but I see a player who continues to maximize his skill set and makes the most out of his career." -- The Athletic's Scott

None of the reports mention that he is the zone entry GOD.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If those are the options on the board:

Very Happy- Reichel, Mysak
Very Happy/Somewhat Happy border- Khusnutdinov (reports about him make him sound almost too good to be true if that makes sense)
Somewhat Happy- Greig (thanks Edge), Peterka, Brisson
Somewhat Disappointed- Bourque, Perreault
Very Disappointed- Rest of them

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph

That 12 ranking is among European players. His other rankings from different services go from mid thirties to seventies. He does seem to have the under the radar intangibles that are what we should be looking for. Penalty killing, forechecking, solid skating and sound defence from a bottom six centre. I'd be fine with him as he seems to be about the best I've read for that necessary role.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
From what I’ve seen on Laf he skates fine. Is there really a concern with his skating?

Not really a concern, but it's not really a strength, compared to the rest of his tools.

We do have some good skaters like Chytil and Kreider to balance but when I read Pronman's rankings a common theme among our top prospects was "average skating"

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Marat however you spell it’s scouting report sounds a lot like Vlad Namestnikov

why do I keep coming up with 2011 draftees as comparables to current prospects

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Christ that is one lit point. Vlad was even drafted in the same spot.

This is one of Vlad’s scouting reports from 2011:
Owns a great combination of playmaking skills and a defensive conscience. Makes his teammates around him better. Has solid two-way ability. Can play center and wing. Is undersized for the National Hockey League game, so he must prove capable of bulking up and withstanding the rigors of the highest level. Could stand to shoot the puck more.
Long Range Potential:Talented, versatile forward with some upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: YoSoyLalo

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I went with Marat K. Mostly because I like the feeling of self-hatred that comes over me every time I chicken out trying to spell his last name.

And I GUESS, he's also my favorite motor guy. But Grieg is there too. Grieg could turn out to be Dubinsky or even Cally in which I case would be excited, but he could also be Cogliano. Which is fine. But Coglianos are easy to find.

***EDIT - ACTUALLY I'm changing my vote. Wallinder. I know another D. But I prefer his upside to the forwards at this point.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I said this in the thread then, but if the board is shaking out this way, I am trying to move up to 17 to take Holloway here, instead of ‘risking’ a guy like Grieg dropping to 22. I think that’s where they value is.

I think Holloway is getting slept on a bit because 10-12 range (Rangers original slot) was too high for him but going up five picks to take Holloway or Amirov, seems like a better move to me if you can pull it off.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I went with Marat K. Mostly because I like the feeling of self-hatred that comes over me every time I chicken out trying to spell his last name.

And I GUESS, he's also my favorite motor guy. But Grieg is there too. Grieg could turn out to be Dubinsky or even Cally in which I case would be excited, but he could also be Cogliano. Which is fine. But Coglianos are easy to find.

***EDIT - ACTUALLY I'm changing my vote. Wallinder. I know another D. But I prefer his upside to the forwards at this point.

I could see it. Wouldn't be my pick but he's a pretty big swing in that spot.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

The question is, if we know Khusnutdinov will become this, should we still draft him? Utility player who can play C or W on basically any of your lines.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The question is, if we know Khusnutdinov will become this, should we still draft him? Utility player who can play C or W on basically any of your lines.
I would be cool with taking Vlad Namestnikov at 22. The dude was a good complimentary player on Tampa, and considering how our forward group is looking moving forward, I think a guy like that could carve out a nice niche for himself.

like names probably would’ve been nice to have last season.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
To close out this slot, we’ll give the customary optimistic scouting report on the Rangers pick:

From a pure offensive talent standpoint, Bourque’s skill level is pretty close to many of the top talents in this draft. He’s a elusive, if not speedy skater, who can the puck to his teammates in seemingly any situation. He’s possesses incredibly soft hands and the ability to control the tempo of a game when he’s on the ice.

More than just a playmaker, he has the ability to beat goalies with a quick release that is very hard for them to pick up. This is a very high IQ player which is what makes some of his deficiencies that much more frustrating. He’s capable of doing even more damage, but seems content to coast more often than one would prefer. He’s also quite capable of reading plays and playing defense, but doesn’t always commit himself to the task.

From a skill standpoint, Bourque has high-end second line ability. But he’s got work to do in order to convert that potential into pro results.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If we REALLY LIKE the guy, draft bpa.

If not, trade down is an option.
But can we do better getting something small now and a 1st for next year from someone chomping at the bit?

Also, what about
Buchnevich 3.25 + 22OA to Leafs
for
Nylander 6.962 + Kerfoot 3.5 x 3 + Liljgren elc + TOR 2021 1st unprotected

something like that?
We upgrade on a better pure RW to bookend Kreider-Zib, while adding an RD prospect for depth when we deal Deangelo.
We can flip Kerfoot cheap for cheap to teams needing 3C.

Maybe we can even get DET or MIN to do Kerfoot free for taking Smith's last yr.

Leafs don't wanna go there, but that's roughly the better part of 8m cap which helps them seriously close the gap/top offer on AlexPie...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If we REALLY LIKE the guy, draft bpa.

If not, trade down is an option.
But can we do better getting something small now and a 1st for next year from someone chomping at the bit?

Also, what about
Buchnevich 3.25 + 22OA to Leafs
for
Nylander 6.962 + Kerfoot 3.5 x 3 + Liljgren elc + TOR 2021 1st unprotected

something like that?
We upgrade on a better pure RW to bookend Kreider-Zib, while adding an RD prospect for depth when we deal Deangelo.
We can flip Kerfoot cheap for cheap to teams needing 3C.

Maybe we can even get DET or MIN to do Kerfoot free for taking Smith's last yr.

Leafs don't wanna go there, but that's roughly the better part of 8m cap which helps them seriously close the gap/top offer on AlexPie...

Yeah..................I don't see that happening.

Whenever the Rangers make a trade Bern---you're like a shark circling a bloody piece of meat.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
if thats the choices at 22 Im not gonna be too optimistic.

These choices are basically a worst case scenario.

Which the board, in attempting to be "realistic," selected every player they'd personally want for the teams before the Rangers, because that's how they are evaluating guys with their Ranger-colored glasses on.

Unseen in this exercise is that a lot of teams don't like the same players that we like.

Wouldn't be surprising at all for guys like Holloway, Gunler, or Mercer to be there.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
guilty as charged EB.
However, I hope you enjoy my outside the box creativity/fresh viewpoints as much as I do your constructive, quality assessments, even if I am the one shouldering the trade burden.

Honestly they're destructive Bern but I pick on others on the trade board too. It's nothing personal and actually the way you frame your proposals and the relentless way you go about pushing your 'viewpoints' is at least very entertaining. That's where you have almost all the other trade happy people beat.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad