NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft Poll: 22nd Overall Pick

Who Should the New York Rangers Select 22nd Overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What interests me about Khusnutdinov is not is ceiling, it’s the attributes you listed that could one day make for a good—even pivotal—bottom-6 forward.

This is what I’m talking about (stolen from NHL Draft - Prospects board). Everything in here just screams “perfect #3C”:

NHL.com Scouting Report: Explosive two-way center. Flashy, skilled and an offensive threat on every shift. A leader and team player. Wins battles and plays with a lot of confidence.
Final Rank: 12
Height: 5-11
Weight: 176
Birthplace: Moscow, Russia
Shoots: Left
One of the youngest players eligible in the draft, Khusnutdinov put in the work as a 17-year-old in Russia's top junior league. The Moscow native recorded 38 points (13g/25a) in 44 games with SKA St. Petersburg's junior club last season, the top team in the league during the 2019-20 campaign. Experts say he's a puck hound and responsible player in all three zones (offensive, defensive and neutral). Highly skilled and a gifted skater, Khusnutdinov captained Team Russia to gold at the 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup with three assists/points in five games. He also earned a gold medal at the 2018 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge (2g/3a in six games) and silver at the 2019 Under-18 World Championship (1g/2a in seven games).

"Smart, cagey and understands how to play with a multitude of players and in different situations. Has a understated skill level, but when you package everything together, he's a good player." -- TSN's Craig Butt

"Khusnutdinov has been a leader for Russia's 2002 age group for years and was very impressive with his junior club this season, which was the best in MHL. He has high-end skill components to his game. He's able to make highly creative plays with the puck, improvise in tough situations and be very coordinated in small spaces. He sees the ice very well and can make tough dishes to teammates. He's a great skater too, using his speed to beat defenders wide and making hard plays to the net. He competes hard, frequently getting to the tough areas in the offensive zone and killing penalties well. Khusnutdinov isn't special at any one thing and he's undersized, but it's the combination of his skill, speed and very high compete level that equals a projected NHL player." -- The Athletic's Corey Pronm

"On a loaded team that didn't play him on the top line or power play unit for much of the season, Khusnutdinov put together an impressive rookie season in the MHL - and did it while spending the entire year as a 17-year-old. Khusnutdinov makes plays all over the ice, he's a responsible three-zone player, he doesn't shy away from playing to the interior, he's got enough skill to make plays from the exterior and he tracks the play exceptionally well. That last tool helps him intercept pucks or find space in the offensive zone. He's a long-term project but I see a player who continues to maximize his skill set and makes the most out of his career." -- The Athletic's Scott

Well sir, you have me sold! I actually like the fact that he's one of the youngest eligible players. After having the ultimate upside and "locked" NHLer in this draft, we don't need the other first rounder to be here ASAP. Also literally more room for growth. And obviously I'd love me so more Russian kids on the Rangers.

Last edited:

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Well sir, you have me sold! I actually like the fact that he's one of the youngest eligible players. After having the ultimate upside and "locked" NHLer in this draft, we don't need the other first rounder to be here ASAP. Also literally more room for growth. And obviously I'd love me so more Russian kids on the Rangers.

Steve K compared Khusnutdinov to Zuccarello with how relentless he plays and how hard he works. I want this kid that much more now.

Reactions: Leetch3

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Steve K compared Khusnutdinov to Zuccarello with how relentless he plays and how hard he works. I want this kid that much more now.

I chucked a bit. Marat K as barely an 18 yo is already much taller than Zuke so I'm sure there would be an example of a tenacious player that was closer to his statute.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I chucked a bit. Marat K as barely an 18 yo is already much taller than Zuke so I'm sure there would be an example of a tenacious player that was closer to his statute.

They dont need to be the same size to have a comparable style of play though, do they?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
They dont need to be the same size to have a comparable style of play though, do they?

Of course not. But there are other players known for their tenacity too, no? Not a big deal, as I said it just made me chuckle.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Honestly they're destructive Bern but I pick on others on the trade board too. It's nothing personal and actually the way you frame your proposals and the relentless way you go about pushing your 'viewpoints' is at least very entertaining. That's where you have almost all the other trade happy people beat.

I don't think you are picking on me, certainly not me in particular.
We may disagree here/there for sure, but I like that there is usually a cogent rationale for your position.
It may still be technically flawed on occasion, but there is often a quality of objectivity which is appreciated in what is often a sea of subjectivity.

I extend to you words I use myself:
Tell it like it is
Let your conscience be your guide.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Quick question to all those who picked Bourque. How does his Hockey Sense rate? I think he's skating is average/fine. And am concerned if he gets to the NHL he may not have the foot speed to stay at center. But if his hockey sense is say, like a Derek Stepan, then he can off-set that with his mind.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Quick question to all those who picked Bourque. How does his Hockey Sense rate? I think he's skating is average/fine. And am concerned if he gets to the NHL he may not have the foot speed to stay at center. But if his hockey sense is say, like a Derek Stepan, then he can off-set that with his mind.

RLR has him #9 under their Wayne Gretzky Award for players with the most natural hockey sense (Lafreniere is #2 btw)

9. Mavrik Bourque — It’s no coincidence all his wingers instantly
become 50% better. A master at creating something out of nothing.

and Black Book rates his hockey sense a 7 out of 9 which is very good (9 being elite)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
We may disagree here/there for sure, but I like that there is usually a cogent rationale for your position.
It may still be technically flawed on occasion, but there is often a quality of objectivity which is appreciated in what is often a sea of subjectivity.

Tell it like it is

I can tell you one of my greatest faults is I exasperate too quickly. I was brought up in an environment though where as kids we were always trying to get under the skins of others. Shoot that arrow that struck home. It can put some people off though.

That said even though I think almost all your trades are shit--you still are a gem Bern and I'm glad you're on our team.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
All the guys I wanted are gone. I don't know. I also doubt a draft goes this smoothly, I'm sure one of my guys will fall to us. Nothing ever goes this smoothly. No team doesn't ever see more on a player and reach. Ourselves included.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Tell it like it is

I actually threw out a proposal on the trade board--DeAngelo for Zegras and cap dump Backes. Ducks replace Zegras at 6 with Rossi then. Not getting any favorable comments on that. Duck fans are going to town on it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I actually threw out a proposal on the trade board--DeAngelo for Zegras and cap dump Backes. Ducks replace Zegras at 6 with Rossi then. Not getting any favorable comments on that. Duck fans are going to town on it.

While it's not to the same degree, Zegras is to ANA like Larkin is to DET.
Setting aside entirely how reasonable your offer was or was not in a vacuum, it was compounded by the emotional factor.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
literally the worst pick they could make
Eh for some reason Marek Blaha is on here, and I think he's anywhere from the fourth round to undrafted. At least Barron is a legitimate prospect.

(It would be a bad pick, though.)

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
With this new medical issue he'll slip out of the first round now. Depending on more info, maybe the second round as well.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Barron was a faller all year and I can see him dropping to the late 2nd maybe into the 3rd. When he wasn't hurt generally his play fell below expectations. For us I'm not sure how he'd fit. If the Rangers move DeAngelo then there's more pathway but RD at the moment is not really a need. If Joel Blomqvist is still around in the 3rd he merits consideration. He's arguably the second best goalie in this draft. If we're hanging on to Alex for now and moving him in the near future you're at least creating a line of succession. Speaking of which Huska needs to be better--hopefully Wall adapts quickly and hopefully Lindbom can stay healthy and have a productive season. Of those three I have the most hope for Wall at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad