Rumor: MOAR SWEDES (Christian Folin)

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
Outside of the anomaly that was Detroit, how many Swedes have their name on the cup since the 04 lockout? Just curious.

I was curious as well so I looked it up. Not a list of luminaries.

Carolina 2006 - Niclas Wallin
Anaheim 2007 - Sami Pahlsson
Pittsburgh 2009 - None
Chicago 2010 - Nicklas Hjalmarsson and Kim Johnsson (only played 8 games before getting injured, none in the playoffs)
Boston 2011 - None
LA 2012 - None

However, the list is a lot more substantial if you include finalists - Alfredsson, the Sedins, Edler, asterisked Lidstrom/Zetterberg/Franzen/Holmstrom etc etc

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Still waiting for one of these undrafted college guys to pan out for us. Maybe the scouts could try and focus on getting an nhl dman instead

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Zero chance he'll want to sign here given that he'll never get any ice time, even if he's good. BEST PLAYERS PLAY

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
There was a short news article about him on a swedish site the other day.. according to a GM (no mention of who) there would be at least 15 GMs trying to get his signature during the off season...

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Not very accurate :amazed:

I was curious as well so I looked it up. Not a list of luminaries.

Carolina 2006 - Niclas Wallin
Anaheim 2007 - Sami Pahlsson
Pittsburgh 2009 - None
Chicago 2010 - Nicklas Hjalmarsson and Kim Johnsson (only played 8 games before getting injured, none in the playoffs)
Boston 2011 - None
LA 2012 - None

However, the list is a lot more substantial if you include finalists - Alfredsson, the Sedins, Edler, asterisked Lidstrom/Zetterberg/Franzen/Holmstrom etc etc

Carolina 2006 - Niclas Wallin, Niklas Nordgren
Anaheim 2007 - Samuel PÃ¥hlsson
Red Wings 2008 - Henrik Zetterberg, Nicklas Lidstrom, Tomas Holmstrom, Mikael Samuelsson, Johan Franzen, Niklas Kronwall, Andreas Lilja, Jonathan Ericsson
Pittsburgh 2009 - None
Chicago 2010 - Nicklas Hjalmarsson and Kim Johnsson
Boston 2011 - None
LA 2012 - None
Chicago 2013 - Niklas Hjalmarsson, Johnny Oduya, Marcus Kruger, Viktor Stalberg

Last edited:

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
Not very accurate :amazed:

Carolina 2006 - Niclas Wallin, Niklas Nordgren
Anaheim 2007 - Samuel PÃ¥hlsson
Red Wings 2008 - Henrik Zetterberg, Nicklas Lidstrom, Tomas Holmstrom, Mikael Samuelsson, Johan Franzen, Niklas Kronwall, Andreas Lilja, Jonathan Ericsson
Pittsburgh 2009 - None
Boston 2011 - None
LA 2012 - None
Chicago 2013 - Niklas Hjalmarsson, Johnny Oduya, Marcus Kruger, Viktor Stalberg
That list was from a year ago, which was before Chicago won the Cup that year. I was responding to a post that said "outside of the anomaly that is Detroit" so I didn't include them.

So the only name I missed was Niklas Nordgren, who played a whopping zero playoff games for the Carolina Hurricanes in 2005-06.

Not very accurate. :amazed:

Honest M

May 11, 2012
That list was from a year ago, which was before Chicago won the Cup that year. I was responding to a post that said "outside of the anomaly that is Detroit" so I didn't include them.

So the only name I missed was Niklas Nordgren, who played a whopping zero playoff games for the Carolina Hurricanes in 2005-06.

Not very accurate. :amazed:

ok, LOL sorry thought it was a fresher topic :)

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
How many players have played their 1st NHL games with Ottawa even in just the past 3 years?

Who's he going to displace on the roster? Personally I'd waive Gryba or Phillips but there's no chance of the current management doing that. I'm sure they'd love to sign this guy but there's really no evidence that they'd give him an extended shot in the lineup.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
If he's got a smart agent he'll go to Philly out of all those teams

Maybe, but he wouldn't be able to play for them in the playoffs, so I dunno if they'll give him much ice time this year. If he goes to Edmonton he'll get to play in one of the top 2 pairings immediately, and he's guaranteed a roster spot next year unless Edmonton signs 3 or 4 good UFA D-men in the offseason.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Maybe, but he wouldn't be able to play for them in the playoffs, so I dunno if they'll give him much ice time this year. If he goes to Edmonton he'll get to play in one of the top 2 pairings immediately, and he's guaranteed a roster spot next year unless Edmonton signs 3 or 4 good UFA D-men in the offseason.
Yes he would. College signings are exempt. For example Kreider did it with NYR jin 2011-12. Matter of fact he didn't play any regular season games and only played in the playoffs. I think he started in game 3 of the Sens series.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
According to McKenzie there are only 4 teams left.. which does not include the Sens

Oilers
Flyers
Wild
Bolts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad