Rumor: MOAR SWEDES (Christian Folin)

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Those "upgrades" are not worth the potential.

Guys like Boro are tweeners in my opinion - fine as a 7th but I don't see anything more than that.

Dropping the mitts is so overated in this day and age -and this comes from a fanatic hockey fight fan.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Boro is awesome. He's so aggressive, loves engaging physically. Wish Gryba and Cowen had more of Boro's intensity.

When he was up with the big club he showed a pretty nice breakout pass as well, better than Phillips, Cowen and Gryba in that regard.

Kid has pretty good potential as a shutdown defender. I think a lot of people will be surprised by him next season.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Happily I would admit to being wrong but I just don't see it. I like the kid (know his family) but he's got a tad more ability than a Matt Carkner without the wherewithall with the fists.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Boro is awesome. He's so aggressive, loves engaging physically. Wish Gryba and Cowen had more of Boro's intensity.

When he was up with the big club he showed a pretty nice breakout pass as well, better than Phillips, Cowen and Gryba in that regard.

Kid has pretty good potential as a shutdown defender. I think a lot of people will be surprised by him next season.

Who does he play ahead of?
Methot, Cowen, Wiercioch, Gryba, Cec, Phillips? I think you are very optimistic. Methot Cowen Phillips are already defensive d.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Boro never impressed

I really wonder why they gave him a one-way deal when he hasn't proven anything whatsoever at the NHL level

I seem to hear the sound of an internal budget running for the hills?!

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
If Boro plays a regular shift next year, his presence ought to make Chris Neil expendable at the very least.

Love Neil's role; he's simply giving diminished returns at this point as a skater, especially given his salary. Boro can fill that role starting next year, and we can get Neil shipped to another conference for a decent pick.

Youth movement, right? Anyways, this Folin kid doesn't project as a top defenseman. We've got an abundance of bottom pairing guys as is. I won't lose sleep over the idea of not signing him. Claesson is coming along nicely anyways if that Swedish quotient is so important.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Yikes - I' not a huge Chris Neil fan and haven't liked any of his resignings but to think that Boro can play the role he plays is far fetched.

Neil may not drop them anymore but he's wily enough that if he had to he could handle himself against anyone in the league...Boro I fear not so much.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Based on past play at the NHL level I have 0 faith in Boro: he's physical and.... that's it

How has he looked in Bingo this year?

He's more than physical.

He's a pest and annoying to play against. He's gotta be the most hated player in the AHL.

His intensity(something this team lacks) is contagious. He'll stand up for teammates. If he was on the ice when Ceci got boarded...

His defensive game is good enough for the bottom pairing and his breakout is decent if he remains simple. He can play on the PK.

At worst we can stick him on the 4th line and let him go crazy on the other team.

He's character bottom pairing dman. Gryba, Cowen and Phillips should be taking notes and watching video of how he plays.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Yikes - I' not a huge Chris Neil fan and haven't liked any of his resignings but to think that Boro can play the role he plays is far fetched.

Neil may not drop them anymore but he's wily enough that if he had to he could handle himself against anyone in the league...Boro I fear not so much.
Boro is a willing combatant, but more importantly a check finisher. Teams keep their heads up when he's on the ice.

Ottawa went soft this year. It's partly to do with Neil getting older, and the hitting rules becoming more stringent. And as Neil goes in terms of physicality, so goes the team.

Boro can add some truculence and pugnacity. Belligerance and testosterone, too. Lord knows we need it.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Boro has heart and knows that physical play is his best asset and those are becoming rare.

I remember the game against Pitts where he drove Crosby crazy then laid out Malkin(or Neal).

If he can be a number 6 defender, he will be an amazing one.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
id take him 1000 times out of 1000 over Chris Phillips for next year as our #6/7 guy.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
I'd take Mark Cameron a 1000 times out of 1000 over Chris Phillips for next year as our #6/7 guy.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's more than physical.

He's a pest and annoying to play against. He's gotta be the most hated player in the AHL.

His intensity(something this team lacks) is contagious. He'll stand up for teammates. If he was on the ice when Ceci got boarded...

His defensive game is good enough for the bottom pairing and his breakout is decent if he remains simple. He can play on the PK.

At worst we can stick him on the 4th line and let him go crazy on the other team.

He's character bottom pairing dman. Gryba, Cowen and Phillips should be taking notes and watching video of how he plays.

That's all great but we don't need no more bottom pairing dman

We need a number 2/3 to push everybody not named Karlsson/Methot down the depth chart and ideally even Methot should be on the second pair but that's asking for a lot

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
That's all great but we don't need no more bottom pairing dman

We need a number 2/3 to push everybody not named Karlsson/Methot down the depth chart and ideally even Methot should be on the second pair but that's asking for a lot

LHD-Methot Cowen Phiilips Wiercioch Boro. This is the order unless someone is moved.
RHD- Karlson Ceci Gryba

If you look we have NO puck moving left d men. And truly only one right. Wiercioch 1/2 point per game with PP time. Ceci is less than a 1/4 point per game and hasn't really earned the status. The fact that he carries it out and slows down everybody ahead hardly counts at this point. IMO he'd be better to move the puck up then join the play.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
I have a hard time seeing Boro's upside as being higher than Gryba's. Both are bottom pairing guys at best, but Gryba's actually proven himself so far.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Cowen, Methot, Karlsson, Ceci. I'm comfortable with those four. Two of them have 300+ games of NHL experience. The two others have good potential and have shown good signs of different elements they can bring to the team for a long time. I think management feels the same.

Then we have Borowiecki, Gryba, Wiercioch, Phillips and Claesson a bit more down the ladder.

4-5 defensemen for 2 roles? That and we still have a need for a proven top-four D.

The forwards seem set for the most part, I'm looking forward to seeing what Murray is gonna do with the D.

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
Just watch the first and last clips in these highlights from the BSens winning 2-1 over one of the best teams in the AHL last night. This is what it means to be "hard to play against" . Feel free to find a clip like this from the big team this year (from other than Boro himself).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tbdwK_vFDJs

(not to mention the nice rush and wrist shot in the middle)

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Freidmann just mentioned the teams in the running for Folin on the Hotstove and Ottawa was not one of them. Mentioned Philly, Minny, the Caps, and another team I forget.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
(insert curse word) Man i thought we were could have had him i really hope it wasn't a money thing or it's just another thing going against Melnyk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad