MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I haven't seen the fight yet but it sounds like it went really bad, which isn't all that surprising. There are times when you might be able to say Dana or anyone else shouldn't tell someone to retire but they absolutely made the right call with Chuck. He was done back in 2010 and shouldn't have been back in there.

It was Chuck just circling away but in slow motion, clearly not looking to get hit. Once he got grazed by a punch, he fell over unconscious. Tough to watch but not surprising in the least.

Reactions: Avs_19

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
I haven't seen the fight yet but it sounds like it went really bad, which isn't all that surprising. There are times when you might be able to say Dana or anyone else shouldn't tell someone to retire but they absolutely made the right call with Chuck. He was done back in 2010 and shouldn't have been back in there.

yep...chuck was punch drunk then and dana knew it...honestly worried for him...i hope he stays away from fighting for good

Reactions: Avs_19

member 51464

Was he always chinny, or was it just accumulation over time? I did not start watching MMA until years after Chuck was out of the UFC.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Was he always chinny, or was it just accumulation over time? I did not start watching MMA until years after Chuck was out of the UFC.

Chuck in his prime had a decent chin. He started declining in 2007 when Rampage and Keith Jardine beat him and it was like he was getting hit more then usual.

He lost to Rashad Evans in 2008 in what was one of the most devtasting and hardest punch I seen land in a fight and imo what killed his chin. If you havent seen it I'm sure there YouTube videos of it. It was nasty.

After that Dana started pleading Chuck retire but Chuck was still stubborn and wanted to fight. He fought Shogun and Rich Franklin and lost by KO but they werent even hard shots yet they put him to sleep.

Dana pretty much made him retire and gave him an executive job that was more of a job title then actual job and ufc new ownership in 2016 scrapped it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Chuck also went through the majority of his big UFC title run without facing heavy hitters and he was so good at avoiding getting hit at all that his chin wasn't a factor. The 2nd Rampage loss was the end despite the blip of the Wanderlei fight.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I just hope Izzy at least gets Whittaker after.

He probably will but it would've been better if he earned that shot by beating Jacare or Romero. It'd be a better fight and no one could question him fighting for the title after that.

Reactions: 1specter

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Tito-Chuck was as sad as everyone expected. Just a train wreck.

I heard that the UFC offered Stylebender the 'back-up' slot for Whittaker-Gastelum, but he said, "No, give me a fight." So to get him on the card, they gave him Anderson. I don't particularly want to see that fight, but I get what they are doing. He's now the unofficial back up and can pad his resume by beating a huge name like Anderson. And who knows, maybe Jacare, Rockhold, etc. couldn't/wouldn't accept that fight because of timing, injury, being in Australia, etc.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Tito-Chuck was as sad as everyone expected. Just a train wreck.

I heard that the UFC offered Stylebender the 'back-up' slot for Whittaker-Gastelum, but he said, "No, give me a fight." So to get him on the card, they gave him Anderson. I don't particularly want to see that fight, but I get what they are doing. He's now the unofficial back up and can pad his resume by beating a huge name like Anderson. And who knows, maybe Jacare, Rockhold, etc. couldn't/wouldn't accept that fight because of timing, injury, being in Australia, etc.

Agreed with all this.

I don't know, I'm looking forward to the fight. I get it seems bad for Silva and probably is, but it will be fun while it lasts.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not that this comes as any surprise but Chuck/Tito did an estimated 25K buys.

Hilarious, though as I said at the time I almost feel bad for both fighters if they legitimately thought this was going to pull the numbers De La Hoya and Ortiz were saying.

At some point it should be criminal for promoters to lie to fighters like this (if they were legitimately expecting the $ based off a 300k+ or whatever) as they are risking their bodies for far less than expected. I really, really hope Ortiz and Liddell knew the whole time what was going on and weren't scammed.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I don't understand how things like this are only 8 years, and likely even less time knowing how the system works up here. I am happy to live in Canada and I generally feel very safe, but knowing guys like this will be on the streets in a few years walking around next to the guy who beheaded the guy on the bus is really aggravating. These are people who should not be out on the streets at all.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I don't understand how things like this are only 8 years, and likely even less time knowing how the system works up here. I am happy to live in Canada and I generally feel very safe, but knowing guys like this will be on the streets in a few years walking around next to the guy who beheaded the guy on the bus is really aggravating. These are people who should not be out on the streets at all.
He will almost certainly be out on statuatory release after five years. Pretty sickening.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dillashaw v Cejudo moved to main event the first ESPN+ card.

Surprising it got flipped there, but not surprising in that we talked about that being a good spot for it months ago.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Have to wonder what's next for UFC 233. 6 weeks out and needs a main event and a couple main card fights.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Dillashaw v Cejudo moved to main event the first ESPN+ card.

Surprising it got flipped there, but not surprising in that we talked about that being a good spot for it months ago.

If they didn't have so many events, they wouldn't have to move main events around.

Reactions: m9

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

He will almost certainly be out on statuatory release after five years. Pretty sickening.

Not if he's killed in prison. Edmonton max will eat him alive.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Have to wonder what's next for UFC 233. 6 weeks out and needs a main event and a couple main card fights.

Seems like they're trying to get the Woodley fight to headline but Usman has been saying that he's been offered a fight against Covington, so who knows?

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Seems like they're trying to get the Woodley fight to headline but Usman has been saying that he's been offered a fight against Covington, so who knows?
Well Woodley is in Dana's doghouse again, given Dana's comments from his TSN interview. I'm guessing Tyron declined to fight on the ESPN+ card in Brooklyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad