MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nah, he doesn't belong on the list at all. Get caught once, okay maybe it was accidental. Get caught twice? Nope. You're a cheat. Rat on someone else to get a reduced ban? You're a ****ing dirtbag cheat that can't own up to your own actions. Total fraud. Pissed away legit natural talent too.

Do you feel the same about Anderson Silva?

member 51464

I really would be intrigued to see DC and Jon Jones at heavyweight. I think that, as nice as his victory tour has been, it would always be in the back of DC's mind that he didn't beat Jones.

The weight difference would have DC at his best, and who knows how Jones would do. Of course, if he has another war with Gustafsson, he might not be ready for DC very quickly. I'd respect DC a lot to risk going out on top by taking on his ultimate foe with the new wrinkle.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Just my opinion, but PEDs don't completely disqualify someone from the conversation for me, but it's a knock against them. It's just too hard to know who was on what, when, and how it affected their performance let alone what/if their opponents were on anything.

Ignoring failed tests and whatnot, I think Jones is the GOAT. Followed by GSP and Anderson. But Jones and Anderson get knocked down a notch or 2 for failing tests. So for me, that list is pretty spot on (at least the top 5).

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So moving over from the other thread, it sounds like the UFC is trying for Cerrone/Conor next. Gaethje/Pettis is the other fight scheduled among top of guys.

I like this matchup for Conor.

Leaves Ferguson/Khabib as hopefully the next title fight.

Poirier and Nate are the two guys not booked. Doesn't sound like the UFC is interested in booking Diaz anytime soon. Maybe Poirier v Aldo on the Khabib/Ferguson card?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
So moving over from the other thread, it sounds like the UFC is trying for Cerrone/Conor next. Gaethje/Pettis is the other fight scheduled among top of guys.

I like this matchup for Conor.

Leaves Ferguson/Khabib as hopefully the next title fight.

Poirier and Nate are the two guys not booked. Doesn't sound like the UFC is interested in booking Diaz anytime soon. Maybe Poirier v Aldo on the Khabib/Ferguson card?
Did someone other than Chael say Cowboy-Conor?
Edit: Nevermind. Just saw Cowboy's tweet.

If it was up to me, I'd do:

Khabib-Tony
Conor-Poirier
Gaethje-Cowboy
Pettis-Aldo (at 155lb)

It does leave Nate out as the next biggest name in the division, but as much as I like Nate and dislike Dana, I'm kind of on Dana's side at this point. Nate's gotta want to get back in there.

It almost doesn't matter, though. They could be blindfolded throwing darts at a wall and put together some great fights in this division. The only fight I really think they need to make is Khabib-Tony.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The other X-factor is GSP. If he drops to 155lb or does a 165lb catch weight fight against Khabib, that kind of holds up the division a bit. Maybe then they do Conor-Tony and try to re-book Poirier-Nate?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Did someone other than Chael say Cowboy-Conor?

If it was up to me, I'd do:

Khabib-Tony
Conor-Poirier
Gaethje-Cowboy
Pettis-Aldo (at 155lb)

It does leave Nate out as the next biggest name in the division, but as much as I like Nate and dislike Dana, I'm kind of on Dana's side at this point. Nate's gotta want to get back in there.

It almost doesn't matter, though. They could be blindfolded throwing darts at a wall and put together some great fights in this division. The only fight I really think they need to make is Khabib-Tony.

I saw a bunch of people guessing after Cowboy said he was moving to 155lbs, but I also don't really listen/read to much media right after fights.

I agree with you that Khabib/Tony is the must and then from there.. whatever. I stand by that the UFC should do Conor/Nate next so they can clear that one off and then essentially get out of the Nate Diaz business. No need to have your business held hostage by this guy and his nonsense any longer. The UFC needds to make the fight, make a ton of money, hope Conor wins, move on. It doesn't sound like Dana has any interest in booking Nate in a big fight though.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I saw a bunch of people guessing after Cowboy said he was moving to 155lbs, but I also don't really listen/read to much media right after fights.

I agree with you that Khabib/Tony is the must and then from there.. whatever. I stand by that the UFC should do Conor/Nate next so they can clear that one off and then essentially get out of the Nate Diaz business. No need to have your business held hostage by this guy and his nonsense any longer. The UFC needds to make the fight, make a ton of money, hope Conor wins, move on. It doesn't sound like Dana has any interest in booking Nate in a big fight though.
I just edited my post. Cowboy tweeted that they are just waiting for Conor to sign. Whether it's true or not, who knows, but where there's smoke, there's fire...especially when the source is Cowboy. Doesn't seem like one to bullshit.

Yeah, I think Dana is kind of done with Nate and shouldn't be holding anything hostage with him. Go on with their business and if Nate decides he wants to fight, then make a fight.

I've wondered if Conor is kind of saving Nate as a fall back, you know? People will always want to see that fight no matter the circumstances. So while Conor is still relevant, he's concentrating on getting back to the belt. But if he loses a couple of fights in a row or decides one more fight before he retires, he can always do the Nate trilogy.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I just edited my post. Cowboy tweeted that they are just waiting for Conor to sign. Whether it's true or not, who knows, but where there's smoke, there's fire...especially when the source is Cowboy. Doesn't seem like one to bull****.

Yeah, I think Dana is kind of done with Nate and shouldn't be holding anything hostage with him. Go on with their business and if Nate decides he wants to fight, then make a fight.

I've wondered if Conor is kind of saving Nate as a fall back, you know? People will always want to see that fight no matter the circumstances. So while Conor is still relevant, he's concentrating on getting back to the belt. But if he loses a couple of fights in a row or decides one more fight before he retires, he can also do the Nate trilogy.

I agree that Conor is using Nate as a fallback.. but who knows how long either guy will be fighting for. But yeah, maybe that's the fight you eventually do in Ireland.

I saw Cowboy's post, yeah. I don't even know if Conor can really sign another fight since he's still suspended, which makes me wonder if it's even close.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I agree that Conor is using Nate as a fallback.. but who knows how long either guy will be fighting for. But yeah, maybe that's the fight you eventually do in Ireland.

I saw Cowboy's post, yeah. I don't even know if Conor can really sign another fight since he's still suspended, which makes me wonder if it's even close.
It would be a big enough fight and big enough payday that I think both would come out of 'retirement' or postpone retirement for it. I mean, shit, Tito-Chuck are doing the trilogy even though Chuck won both, it's 10 years later, and nobody wants to see it.:laugh:

It almost doesn't matter if Conor can officially sign anything or not. He can agree to it verbally and the sooner the shit talking starts, the better for business. Or he doesn't want the fight and it's just Cowboy trying to talk him into it.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Cerrone/Conor doesn't feel like a big enough fight to me, my guess is it doesn't happen. Great matchup for Conor to get back on track as Cerrone always seems to fold in big fights. If he was smart he'd really push his grappling, but I don't see that happening.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Cerrone/Conor doesn't feel like a big enough fight to me, my guess is it doesn't happen. Great matchup for Conor to get back on track as Cerrone always seems to fold in big fights. If he was smart he'd really push his grappling, but I don't see that happening.

Agreed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Do you mean Nate? Because I don't see a whole lot of other big fights for Conor at the moment.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think McGregor needs a big fight right now. What he needs is a winnable fight to get some of his mojo back. And it will sell regardless of whomever it is, because his fans buy anything he's involved in.
I completely agree. The person I responded to, though, was saying Cowboy wasn't a big enough fight for Conor. I don't think Cowboy-Conor is the fight to make (although I do think it would be a fun fight and would love to see Cowboy cash in a big pay check), but it's not because it's not big enough.

I've said I think it should be Conor-Poirier. It's not a huge fight, but it makes sense in terms of the division. From the UFC/Conor's point of view, it's also a very winnable fight for Conor (Conor's already beat him). If he does win, it sets it up for Conor to fight for the title again after (hopefully) Khabib-Tony. The same is probably accomplished if he beats Cowboy (or Nate), but beating the #10 ranked LW (or whatever he was when he moved up to WW) isn't the same as beating the #3 ranked LW.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I completely agree. The person I responded to, though, was saying Cowboy wasn't a big enough fight for Conor. I don't think Cowboy-Conor is the fight to make (although I do think it would be a fun fight and would love to see Cowboy cash in a big pay check), but it's not because it's not big enough.

I've said I think it should be Conor-Poirier. It's not a huge fight, but it makes sense in terms of the division. From the UFC/Conor's point of view, it's also a very winnable fight for Conor (Conor's already beat him). If he does win, it sets it up for Conor to fight for the title again after (hopefully) Khabib-Tony. The same is probably accomplished if he beats Cowboy (or Nate), but beating the #10 ranked LW (or whatever he was when he moved up to WW) isn't the same as beating the #3 ranked LW.

This isn't true. I'm not sure what he was ranked at the time, but Cerrone's last fight before moving up to 170lbs was for the title vs Dos Anjos so he was ranked very high. I think possibly 2nd behind Pettis, but right there.

Poirier definitely is higher ranked in the division right now, but the reality is Conor has already KO'd him in the first round and has nothing to really gain from that fight. He is much better off fighting an easier style matchup in Cerrone who also happens to be way more popular and is a fresh challenge.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This isn't true. I'm not sure what he was ranked at the time, but Cerrone's last fight before moving up to 170lbs was for the title vs Dos Anjos so he was ranked very high. I think possibly 2nd behind Pettis, but right there.

Poirier definitely is higher ranked in the division right now, but the reality is Conor has already KO'd him in the first round and has nothing to really gain from that fight. He is much better off fighting an easier style matchup in Cerrone who also happens to be way more popular and is a fresh challenge.
You're right. I thought he lost a few more at LW after he lost to RDA, but he moved up right after that. He was ranked #4 going in, so maybe he drops a spot or 2. But still far from #10.

I disagree he has nothing to gain from Poirier, though. Poirier is the #3 ranked LW in the world. If Conor beats him, then I don't see how anyone could complain about him getting another title shot.

I also disagree Cowboy is an easier fight than Poirier. First, we know Conor can beat Poirier since he did it already. We don't know about Cowboy. But second, Poirier is basically another Alvarez and we saw what Conor did to Eddie. Sure he's got some wrestling, but he has more KO's than submissions. Cowboy though, has better kicks and a better submission attack. Whether he used it or not is another story, but he has the potential to give Conor real problems on the ground. Cowboy is also the taller and naturally bigger guy than Poirier.

I'm kind of arguing against myself, though. I'd love to see Cowboy-Conor because like I said, it's a fun fight and I'd love to see Cowboy get a big payday.

Reactions: m9

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If they aren't doing Conor/Nate 3 then I think a fight against Cerrone makes a lot of sense for all parties involved. It's a winnable fight for Conor against a well known and well respected fighter and now Cowboy has the "all time wins and all-time finishes" records that the UFC can promote.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You're right. I thought he lost a few more at LW after he lost to RDA, but he moved up right after that. He was ranked #4 going in, so maybe he drops a spot or 2. But still far from #10.

I disagree he has nothing to gain from Poirier, though. Poirier is the #3 ranked LW in the world. If Conor beats him, then I don't see how anyone could complain about him getting another title shot.

I also disagree Cowboy is an easier fight than Poirier. First, we know Conor can beat Poirier since he did it already. We don't know about Cowboy. But second, Poirier is basically another Alvarez and we saw what Conor did to Eddie. Sure he's got some wrestling, but he has more KO's than submissions. Cowboy though, has better kicks and a better submission attack. Whether he used it or not is another story, but he has the potential to give Conor real problems on the ground. Cowboy is also the taller and naturally bigger guy than Poirier.

I'm kind of arguing against myself, though. I'd love to see Cowboy-Conor because like I said, it's a fun fight and I'd love to see Cowboy get a big payday.

The closest I could find was from the month after the loss, where Cerrone had dropped to #3: Official Rankings Updated Following UFC 195

As for Poirier, I mean, anytime there's a fight the guys have "something" to gain. With Poirier though he's not really a big name and he's already beaten him though. As for "nobody complaining about giving Conor a title shot".. does it matter? Conor needs a win against a credible LW and then he'll get another title fight. Whether it's Poirier, Gaethje, Pettis, Diaz, or Cerrone is fairly irrelevant.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Cerrone is a good striker, is bigger than Conor, and he has a legit submission game. That doesn't seem like a fight McGregor would be interested in

If I'm McGregor, the fight I'm pushing for is Diaz 3

It's a relatively low risk fight against a big name he knows he can beat, and with a victory it gives the UFC an excuse to give him another title shot

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Cerrone is definitely not a good matchup for Connor, striking a side, he has legit top notch wrestling and BJJ. He'll just take Connor down and submit him.

McGregor is a big dude, but I think 155 has some giants that cut weight from like 185-190. He no longer has the size advantage there, if I'm him, I'd go back to 145. There are some interesting fights for him down there such as Holloway or Ortega.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So for all of us wondering why the UFC is still going forward with PPV, the UFC has re-negotiated their deal with PPV distributors. Instead of a 50/50 revenue split with the distributors, the UFC will now get close to 70% .

PPV buys can keep falling but they'll still make money. And the distributors had to agree because the alternative would be the UFC leaving and putting the PPVs on Fight Pass.

Reactions: m9 and pistolpete11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad