MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Nobody comes at the NMF Champ

it’s f*** Leon Edwards forever now. Offer him a fight with The Leech and if he doesn’t want it don’t give him shit. Division doesn’t need him.

always the victim. Paint your face Leon you clown. Beat somebody then maybe he can cry about fighting a legend of the game (who would probably beat him)

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Mike Perry sent out an offer that anyone who put up the most money could corner him in his next fight and Darren Till offered $5k and started a GoFundMe to raise $25k so he could do it :laugh:.

That's awesome.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Edwards wasn't talking trash to Thompson, he was stating his reason for passing on the fight...

The fact is, Thompson was knocked out cold by Pettis

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Edwards wasn't talking trash to Thompson, he was stating his reason for passing on the fight...

The fact is, Thompson was knocked out cold by Pettis
I care less that he is or isn't talking shit to Wonderboy than I do about how he's handling this. He's been acting like he's this unbeatable, undeniable next title challenger that people are afraid to fight. And here Wonderboy is, the #5 ranked guy in the division, saying "I'll fight you." And he passes because he got KO'ed 2 fights ago? Uhh, OK then. Continue to sit out and get passed by guys that are staying active and people actually want to watch fight.

As I said above, he's been out for over a year, he's not a draw, and he's certainly on a nice streak, but he hasn't beat anybody in the top 5. Shit, RDA is barely in the top 10 and has now moved back down to LW. He needs to be more active and pick up some good wins.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I care less that he is or isn't talking shit to Wonderboy than I do about how he's handling this. He's been acting like he's this unbeatable, undeniable next title challenger that people are afraid to fight. And here Wonderboy is, the #5 ranked guy in the division, saying "I'll fight you." And he passes because he got KO'ed 2 fights ago? Uhh, OK then. Continue to sit out and get passed by guys that are staying active and people actually want to watch fight.

As I said above, he's been out for over a year, he's not a draw, and he's certainly on a nice streak, but he hasn't beat anybody in the top 5. Shit, RDA is barely in the top 10 and has now moved back down to LW. He needs to be more active and pick up some good wins.

let’s call it what it is- his two biggest wins were against lightweights

he’s a trash bag. Zero excitement in his game, he has some nerve to turn down any fight vs a top 10 WELTERWEIGHT (emphasis on welterweight...but hey maybe he can wait another 6 months and another lightweight will have moved up by then)

He knows Wonderboy will pick him apart in the standup and that he won’t be able to get the fight to the floor. That’s all it is. Plain and simple.

And this guy thinks he deserves a title shot. What delusional planet is this guy on? Release him so he can go fight on the Bellator Europe cards with his brother. 6 people will watch and he’ll see what kind of bargaining power he really has

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I enjoy all of Chael's stuff but I felt this one was particularly appropriate now.

Is this his audition tape to be Dana's Assistant Promoter?

By the way, DC didn't get a title shot after beating Cummins. He then beat Dan Henderson before getting a shot against Jones.....plus his record at HW in the UFC and Strikeforce.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
So Conor has finally accepted the Poirier fight on the condition it happens in 2020 which I can't see being an issue for either Poirier or the UFC.

Interested to see what happens with Tony now.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I don't want to get suckered into arguing Weidman could beat Cannonier (or Whittaker for that matter) because I don't think he would :laugh:

I'm just saying he's the type of guy the UFC likes and puts in prominent positions. So he's probably closer to a title shot than he should be. Look at where his placement has been since losing the belt to Rockhold:

UFC 205 vs. Romero - The 4th fight after 3 title fights
UFC 210 vs. Mousasi - Co-main
UFC on Fox vs. Gastelum - Main event
UFC 230 vs. Jacare - Co-main
UFC on ESPN vs. Reyes - Main event
Fight Night vs. Akhmedov - Co-main

And as I said, there are justifications for the losses he does have that make it not that bad.

He was beating Romero until he got KOed. I don't remember the Mousasi fight, but Mousasi is arguably the best MW on the planet. Definitely one of the more overlooked. Beat Gastelum. Was beating Jacare until the KO. Reyes was up a weight class. Beat Akhmedov (despite not being overly impressive).
This is all true. All losses are not created equally. As you mentioned, he was at worst tied with Romero before the knee, he was at worst tied with Jacare before testing his chin too much, he took the first round from Mousasi, he took Reyes down in under 30 seconds and was fighting up a weight class, and he finished Gastelum who gave Adesanya a war.

I'm admittedly a big Weidman fan, but you can chalk up all of his losses minus Reyes to simply not having great cardio. Now granted that's on him, but I think Reyes is the only first round he's ever lost.
I agree that I see a Cannonier fight ending in brutal fashion, but if Weidman could get someone a little less lethal in the top 5 and somehow manage to win it, he'd get a title shot after that.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is all true. All losses are not created equally. As you mentioned, he was at worst tied with Romero before the knee, he was at worst tied with Jacare before testing his chin too much, he took the first round from Mousasi, he took Reyes down in under 30 seconds and was fighting up a weight class, and he finished Gastelum who gave Adesanya a war.

I'm admittedly a big Weidman fan, but you can chalk up all of his losses minus Reyes to simply not having great cardio. Now granted that's on him, but I think Reyes is the only first round he's ever lost.
I agree that I see a Cannonier fight ending in brutal fashion, but if Weidman could get someone a little less lethal in the top 5 and somehow manage to win it, he'd get a title shot after that.

For sure. As I said earlier, if he fights the Till/Hermansson winner next then I think he has a shot vs either guy and then he's in line for a title shot. Is it a deserved title shot? Of course not. But Adesanya will push for it as it's an easy fight vs a big name who was the face of the division for awhile.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
ufc 256 in December just had their main event fall out ......

Ooooo baby
If Conor has actually accepted, this is too easy and makes too much sense to not happen at UFC 256. That card needs a main event (sorry, Nunes) and if both combatants are willing, why wouldn't the UFC be willing? Maybe get Tony-Chandler on there, too (assuming Chandler's services aren't needed for Khabib-Gaethje)? Or maybe Yan-Sterling?

McGregor - Poirier
Nunes - Anderson
Ferguson - Chandler / Yan-Sterling
Esparza - Ribas
Ahkmedov - Vettori

Looks like a pretty good main card to finish this shitty year off.

Reactions: Jasper, m9 and CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hooker is trying to get a Nate Diaz fight after Diaz tweeted about him

would definitely be a fun one
Hmmmm...would Nate take that fight?

First reaction is that Hooker isn't a big enough name for Nate.

Thinking about it more, Conor is lined up with Poirier and Masvidal is lined up with Covington. If they win those fights, they are probably getting title shots. So how long does Nate want to potentially sit out? If he wants a fight, who else is there? I don't really like Nate's chances against anyone at 170. Too many wrestlers and the guys that are strikers are big guys. At 155, Tony would be a big name, but that's a really tough fight for Nate IMO and Tony might get put in there with Chandler. Next would be Hooker. It's still a tough fight, but it's not inconceivable to me Nate could win that fight since Nate would have the natural size advantage. I dunno. It makes some sense for Nate IMO.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Nate vs Ferguson would be a good one...

Both have elite chins, cardio, and submissions...

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Gathje-Tony came up on my YouTube page, so I of course watched it. Some takeaways after watching it knowing the outcome:

1. The main takeaway for me is still what the f*** is Tony's chin made out of? Dude ate shot after shot after shot that KO'ed guys like Cowboy, Vick, and Barboza. I know Poirier and Eddie took it, but it was not as one sided in those fights.

2. What a performance by Gaethje on short notice. Maybe it was closer to regular notice after the delay, but still, I was not expecting him to be able to go 5 and he not only went 5, but went 5 HARD. Striking is different than wrestling, but having a wrestling background and that cardio on short notice...I think the idea that Khabib is going to wear him out is overstated. I think Khabib is going to win, but he's going to need to bring it for 5 rounds.

3. I think a lot of the 'excuses' for Tony are still valid. He was in camp a loooooong time. He's a cardio freak, but still, I imagine he goes pretty hard in camp and it might have effected him here. He was training for Khabib and then switched to Gaethje which is about the exact opposite as you could imagine. He had the ill advised weight cut which is totally on him, but still could have effected him.

4. Having said that, Tony's resume doesn't look quite as good in hindsight. Don't get me wrong. 12 straight wins at LW is impressive and needs to be taken seriously. But what's the best win in that group? Maybe RDA? Maybe Lee who he was saved by the bell against? Cowboy and Pettis have not fared well since he beat them. Vannata, Barboza, Thompson, Tibau, etc. are all solid wins which makes that streak impressive, but he kind of lacks wins against the real high level guys.

5. Rogan-DC-Anik is....by far....the best commentary team. I especially gotta call out Anik. All the props in the world to Goldy for being there so early, but I not only didn't like Goldy, but I actively hated Goldy. It's hard to like the play-by-play guys, but Anik is up there with Doc Emrick as far as I am concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad