MLS Thread: 2019 Edition

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The new MLS playoff format works, but no quick fix exists...

This article poses a couple good questions. Do you think there are too many teams making the MLS playoffs? And do you think the the regular season needs more in terms of excitement and by shrinking the playoff field there would be more intense regular season games?
6 teams per conference like the NFL ( with 2 byes each conference) would be perfect but with the league going to 30-32 teams soon I will be surprise if they are not tempted to add even more teams to the playoffs. So far this year I enjoy the playoffs a lot.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The new MLS playoff format works, but no quick fix exists...

This article poses a couple good questions. Do you think there are too many teams making the MLS playoffs? And do you think the the regular season needs more in terms of excitement and by shrinking the playoff field there would be more intense regular season games?
It’ll be better when the 4 teams that they plan on adding are added. It’s the same as pretty much all other sports in America then. I think that’s why they introduced the new system is because of these teams being added and they just wanted to work out the kinks before it’s too late.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
It’ll be better when the 4 teams that they plan on adding are added. It’s the same as pretty much all other sports in America then. I think that’s why they introduced the new system is because of these teams being added and they just wanted to work out the kinks before it’s too late.
Well there's the NHL-NBA option where almost everyone makes the playoffs and then it starts basically from scratch with best of 7's. Although fun sometimes home and away in MLS playoffs completely took out the home field advantage and thus the importance of the regular season was cancelled.

Football is the ideal format for me and the one MLS is mostly copying now. The season matters a lot and of course the playoffs are fun to follow even if you don't root for a team in particular or don't like the sport that much.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
So the battle of the hash tags on social media is back at it again between Galaxy and LAFC. Galaxy uses #LAvLAFC to show that they are the real LA team while LAFC uses #GALvLAFC to show that the Galaxy are...a bunch of girls?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Makes sense.

My next question would be when does the MLS stop expanding. It seems like it's just going to keep on adding teams left, right, and center.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Makes sense.

My next question would be when does the MLS stop expanding. It seems like it's just going to keep on adding teams left, right, and center.
I’m expecting 30. I think they take a break and let the new teams grow a little bit before adding more but I think they go to 30. They’re at 24 now right?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I’m expecting 30. I think they take a break and let the new teams grow a little bit before adding more but I think they go to 30. They’re at 24 now right?

They're at 24 right now with Austin, Miami, Nashville, St. Louis and Sacramento coming. I think you're right. 30 is a nice round number that matches the rest of the major leagues

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Other major pro leagues are at 30 or 32 teams. So I expect that's where they want to be.
Those other major pro leagues have "all" the best players available in the world to choose from. Not the case in MLS...

EPL only has 20 teams.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
LA FC big favorites tonight, but that guy Ibrahimovic can take over games by his own!

Pretty sure that Atlanta United gets to the semifinals though!

Reactions: Pouchkine

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Those other major pro leagues have "all" the best players available in the world to choose from. Not the case in MLS...

EPL only has 20 teams.

Other pro leagues pull from 5, maybe 10 countries max...

Soccer has the whole world.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Wish I was at the game as a fan instead of working it tonight. Im confident the galaxy can pull off a win, but now I just got extremely nervous. While the backline did good enough against MNUFC, I'd be tempted to put Polenta at LB like the game in July because he had Vela in his pocket pretty much the entire game. And now having Alessandrini coming off the bench is a massive boost

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
So the battle of the hash tags on social media is back at it again between Galaxy and LAFC. Galaxy uses #LAvLAFC to show that they are the real LA team while LAFC uses #GALvLAFC to show that the Galaxy are...a bunch of girls?
lolfc refuses to use "LAG" because they're that petty

Reactions: kingsboy11

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Other pro leagues pull from 5, maybe 10 countries max...

Soccer has the whole world.
Yeah for Europe...

Until America starts producing some homegrown players in quality and quantity those expansions hurt the league.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah for Europe...

Until America starts producing some homegrown players in quality and quantity those expansions hurt the league.
What are you talking about? There are plenty of talents that are good enough for MLS but not good enough for top 5 European leagues all over the world.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Great start to the game, it's also refreshing seeing real grass and a real soccer stadium.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Galaxy are in trouble. LAFC have been hungry for a win against LAG. All LAG had to do was draw first blood to make LAFC doubt themselves again. This loss would be a huge blow for Galaxy fans. "It took you 6 tries to win" wouldn't even be proper trash talk because this one win alone would overshadow those 5 other results easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad