Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team III - World Cup 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Strikes me as a bad business decision to keep your product behind a paywall if you want to grow your fanbase. MLS is still niche. I might tune into a Revs game if they're doing well in the season and the game were on ESPN2 or something, and maybe I'd get into it and become a bigger fan. But no way am I going to give Apple TV any money to get access to games.
I guess we'll find out.

Wouldn't be shocked if AppleTV eventually offers a subscription to watch a specific team's games down the road. So, instead of $100 for every MLS game this year... maybe $50 to watch every Revs game???

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
For what it's worth, you can say what you want about MLS moving all their games to a subscription service, but the actual broadcasts last night were outstanding.

I don't know if the games were broadcast in 4K or not, but whatever it was, the picture quality was outstanding. I saw an MLS writer tweet that he feels like he's been watching soccer through a dirty shower door for decades. Lots of different cameras showing angles that most MLS broadcasts don't have. Crowds were mic'd up perfectly. Legit pre-game, halftime, and post-game shows. Some minor frame rate issues with the Revs game in the first half, but the 2nd half was perfect. Also had a minor audio issue in the first half that lasted maybe 30 seconds before it was fixed.

AppleTV also has an "NFL Red Zone" style channel called "MLS 360" that bounced from one game to another depending on what was going on. When I was watching, they had a stretch where within minutes of each other, DC United and Atlanta each scored twice in stoppage time to win their respective games. Sheer madness.

In the long-term, I think they'll probably need a "draw" or two (Messi???) in order to break through to the mainstream. But if you're an MLS geek, it's well worth the money.

Last edited:

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
For what it's worth, you can say what you want about MLS moving all their games to a subscription service, but the actual broadcasts last night were outstanding.

I don't know if the games were broadcast in 4K or not, but whatever it was, the picture quality was outstanding. I saw an MLS writer tweet that he feels like he's been watching soccer through a dirty shower door for decades. Lots of different cameras showing angles that most MLS broadcasts don't have. Crowds were mic'd up perfectly. Legit pre-game, halftime, and post-game shows. Some minor frame rate issues with the Revs game in the first half, but the 2nd half was perfect. Also had a minor audio issue in the first half that lasted maybe 30 seconds before it was fixed.

AppleTV also has an "NFL Red Zone" style channel called "MLS 360" that bounced from one game to another depending on what was going on. When I was watching, they had a stretch where within minutes of each other, DC United and Atlanta each scored twice in stoppage time to win their respective games. Sheer madness.

In the long-term, I think they'll probably need a "draw" or two (Messi???) in order to break through to the mainstream. But if you're an MLS geek, it's well worth the money.

That’s probably true but it’s absolutely insane to charge that much for a low level league. I can’t see how they make money longterm

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
That’s probably true but it’s absolutely insane to charge that much for a low level league. I can’t see how they make money longterm
I'm not sure MLS should really be considered a "low level league" any more. When you get past England, Germany, Spain, Italy, and France, how many other leagues in the world are truly better? There are some leagues with a handful of really good teams, but the quality tends to drop off very quickly after that.

Let's see how it works out if/when Messi comes.

It's a 10-year commitment. If it doesn't work well in Year 1, I'm sure they'll change things.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I'm not sure MLS should really be considered a "low level league" any more. When you get past England, Germany, Spain, Italy, and France, how many other leagues in the world are truly better? There are some leagues with a handful of really good teams, but the quality tends to drop off very quickly after that.

Let's see how it works out if/when Messi comes.

It's a 10-year commitment. If it doesn't work well in Year 1, I'm sure they'll change things.

Netherlands, Turkey, Portugal, Belgium, English Championship, probably even Brazil and Mexico, Russia before it lost all its international players and might even still be now

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Carabao Cup Finals

Newcastle trying to win there first trophy in 67 years !

I watched it at the Banshee with a Newcastle fan friend, lots of Toon fans there(and Chelsea supporters, as Spurs-Chelsea was the early match). Before the Cup final, I said to him, simply, "Rashford".

1677449105609.png

• Haha
Reactions: 13Hockey

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I pay for Paramount plus for SPL games, I follow the EPL. No way i would pay for MLS, it's the equivalent of double A baseball. I would watch Revs games once in a while but i am not going to miss it

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
For what it's worth I pay something like $175 to watch EFL League One games, and that's just my team! So while Apple TV is not super cheap, I also don't think it's absurdly priced.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Netherlands, Turkey, Portugal, Belgium, English Championship, probably even Brazil and Mexico, Russia before it lost all its international players and might even still be now
A lot of those leagues are the ones I had in mind when I said there's 2-4 really good teams, and the quality drops off significantly after that. I'm not buying the idea that the Revs, for example, aren't just as good as mid-table Dutch teams like Vitesse or Go Ahead Eagles or Heerenveen.

I pay for Paramount plus for SPL games, I follow the EPL. No way i would pay for MLS, it's the equivalent of double A baseball. I would watch Revs games once in a while but i am not going to miss it
You pay to watch St. Mirren and Motherwell, but MLS is Double A baseball?

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
A lot of those leagues are the ones I had in mind when I said there's 2-4 really good teams, and the quality drops off significantly after that. I'm not buying the idea that the Revs, for example, aren't just as good as mid-table Dutch teams like Vitesse or Go Ahead Eagles or Heerenveen.

You pay to watch St. Mirren and Motherwell, but MLS is Double A baseball?
I pay to watch Celtic but valid point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad