MLS - 2023 Season

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Very likely the final four of the Leagues Cup will be all MLS sides, only 2 of the 8 quarterfinalists are Liga MX sides. There have been a lot of complaints on their side, some valid, some their own doing. It is a bit strange all the games are played in the US and the travel some of these sides have to do in a short time is ridiculous, but then again that comes at the expense of their executives looking at the money. There's been also some conspiracy theories especially now with Miami's draw at what happened last night in Nashville with Club America about the refereeing but the standard of refs in general stink in this region. Also the attendances have been a mixed bag, the tradtitional strong MLS markets still draw well but a lot of sub 10,000 crowds and some games between Liga MX sides, especially those not well followed drew less than 1-2K. I;m sure the competition will continue but there needs to be some tweaks

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
I haven't watched the MLS in easily ten years prior to Messi/Busquets/Alba joining Miami. I think the last time I even paid any attention was when Marcello Gallardo went to D.C. United, and a hot second there when Heinze managed Atlanta, I would peak in here and there following players from Argentina (and specifically from my club there), but I fully admit, since this transfer, myself and my two close River Plate buddies here in NJ have been OBSESSED with Miami (then again, I think if you're Argentinean, it's basically mandatory at this point. lol

I think people here who were maybe on the fringes of watching the sport are finally beginning to understand what we all meant by "greatest player to ever live" now, and I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a tremendous amount of pride there, because there's just SO few Argentineans here in comparison to other Latin American populations.

Here's what I'd like to see: Ditch the Gold Cup and finally just make Copa America TRULY Copa America. I really believe some of the better MLS clubs would have a pretty damn good shot at winning. I get travel being the issue there, but how exciting would that be. I've actually gone and watched some of the top team's games, and I was legitimately impressed by them. The level of play has REALLY risen since I last watched with any real intent.

Reactions: Gecklund

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Couldn't get tickets to the Union vs Miami game tomorrow and resale prices are pretty crazy.

A lot of people are asking - all those ballon d'ors and a World Cup, but can Messi do it on a humid summer night in Chester, PA?

• Haha
Reactions: jcs0218

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017
I feel bad for asking because I usually don't want to be that guy. But looking at some of the highlights from Messi in the MLS. Are MLS players always this poor defensively or is something up? Like some of the basic defensive errors are ridicolous, goal keeping as well at times.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I feel bad for asking because I usually don't want to be that guy. But looking at some of the highlights from Messi in the MLS. Are MLS players always this poor defensively or is something up? Like some of the basic defensive errors are ridicolous, goal keeping as well at times.

The defensive third is the least invested in portion of the field in MLS and managers aren't great either. So yeah, the defending is bad.

As for "is something up?" - uh yeah, the best player in the world is playing in what is maybe the 15th-20th best league in the world.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I would say by the Leagues Cup highlights the GK for Philadelphia didn’t look too good. @Basement Cat is right though.

I know it’s the Messi show and the defending is pretty crap, but still a nice finish by Jordi. He was even looking up to pass it to someone no one was trailing the play.

No matter how bad or good the league is, Messi, Alba and Busquets could and should all be playing for Barca.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I would say by the Leagues Cup highlights the GK for Philadelphia didn’t look too good. @Basement Cat is right though.

I know it’s the Messi show and the defending is pretty crap, but still a nice finish by Jordi. He was even looking up to pass it to someone no one was trailing the play.

No matter how bad or good the league is, Messi, Alba and Busquets could and should all be playing for Barca.
The last sentence cuts deep. I miss my boys. Messi is back from his loan in December tho. Todays game was hilarious he’s soo good

Reactions: les Habs

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The last sentence cuts deep. I miss my boys. Messi is back from his loan in December tho. Todays game was hilarious he’s soo good

Yeah, I don’t think we’ll ever see it and it might not have been feasible financially, but we could use them all right now, especially Messi. Still, if Balde or Romeu go down we could be in trouble there too.

They’re all probably enjoying themselves though.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Yes the defending in this league can horrible, but the Union are one of the better teams in the league the past couple of years. They've given up more than 3 goals only once this season and it was in the Open Cup nearly 3 months ago and Andre Blake has been arguably the best goalkeeper in the league since he's been in the league. Basically I don't want this game to be an indictment of the league when the GOAT and Miami in general have been wrecking every team this tournament so far.

100% defense has been the least invested in and I suspect that will change in the near future once MLS changes all these rules and restrictions.

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017
The defensive third is the least invested in portion of the field in MLS and managers aren't great either. So yeah, the defending is bad.

As for "is something up?" - uh yeah, the best player in the world is playing in what is maybe the 15th-20th best league in the world.

That's fair, and yeah, I probably was too quick to judge anyway as looking back at it again the defense was far from good, but it wasn't THAT bad, it was mostly the game against Philadelphia I guess that really made me raise my eye-brow. While the goalkeeper utterly sucked, there was even worse mistakes in my book.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Couldn't get tickets to the Union vs Miami game tomorrow and resale prices are pretty crazy.

A lot of people are asking - all those ballon d'ors and a World Cup, but can Messi do it on a humid summer night in Chester, PA?

Umm, I know the northeast can get humid in the summer. But if he's bringing it in Miami and Dallas, I don't think it'll be too much for him in Philly.

Reactions: Gecklund

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Yes the defending in this league can horrible, but the Union are one of the better teams in the league the past couple of years. They've given up more than 3 goals only once this season and it was in the Open Cup nearly 3 months ago and Andre Blake has been arguably the best goalkeeper in the league since he's been in the league. Basically I don't want this game to be an indictment of the league when the GOAT and Miami in general have been wrecking every team this tournament so far.

100% defense has been the least invested in and I suspect that will change in the near future once MLS changes all these rules and restrictions.

I just don't think Garber is willing to open up the Kafkaesque style roster restrictions until at least after the next CBA, or an upgrade in group TV revenue. The latter being pretty much set for another 8 years.

And it's correct to assume a lot of these roster restrictions leave teams trying to spend money on play-making talent instead of bulwark defending.

Miami's recent moves though, are paying dividends. I think that playing with Messi is a great selling point for transfers of young latin players, and old vet teammates.

Much like what Atlanta United was doing when they came in the league with their transfers.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
All MLS-final in the leagues cup, Nashville will host Inter Miami, both teams automatically qualify for the CONCACAF CL next season. There is a third place game (Philly vs. Monterrey) and the only reason why they play that is to determine another spot in the CONCACAF CL

Messi is going to be the top scorer of the tournament, the nearest player who's still in the tournament is four goals behind

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017

Fair, but there is bad defending and then there is bad defending.

Like what the actual f*** is the number 17 doing here?

He's basically just an anti-offside cone.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Umm, I know the northeast can get humid in the summer. But if he's bringing it in Miami and Dallas, I don't think it'll be too much for him in Philly.
the real question is....can Messi do it on a frigid snowy day in Montreal?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Watched the beginning of the game and saw the first 2 St Louis goals and switched to something else. Find out later that game ending up 6-3 and thought "what the f*** did I miss"
It was 90+ at kickoff and didn’t cool off. Felt like 100 the whole night. By the end, defensive legs were tired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad