MLD 2011 Draft Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
would you go as far as saying he' not a 1st liner?

I mean there isn't a lot of LWer like Vail available.

I guess it's my bad experience in the ATD with my weak LW position that made me pick him.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
would you go as far as saying he' not a 1st liner?

I mean there isn't a lot of LWer like Vail available.

I guess it's my bad experience in the ATD with my weak LW position that made me pick him.

I have the same opinion of him as Guevremont. Perfectly acceptable for the role you want for him (first line puck winning wing with decent offense in this case), but you could probably have gotten someone just as effective later on.

If he's as much of a beast as Dreakmur says he is, then his stock rises, but I had thought of him before as a guy with a lot of strength who didn't always use it. I could be wrong though.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I'll take D Phat Wilson

7272675_1048081729.jpg

I'm off to orientation in Boston until Friday, and I have lists so I should be able to survive then with connection on my phone. I'll try to update the OP as much as I can. I'll still be here, but not as much.
Good pick. Was gonna snatch him up if he lasted till my next one.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
If he's as much of a beast as Dreakmur says he is, then his stock rises, but I had thought of him before as a guy with a lot of strength who didn't always use it. I could be wrong though.

I don't think you are wrong....

From what I read, he didn't always use his physical attributes. Even when he didn't though, he was still one of the most powerful guys in the league, and was pretty much impossible to move off the puck or out of the slot.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
DAVE MALONEY

article_32328_2.jpg

Height:6'1
Weight:195
Games Played:657
Goals:71
Assists:246
Penalties:1154

New York Rangers Legends said:
Dave Maloney was a good puck moving defenseman with a physical dimension. His mobility and hockey sense made him a useful member of both specialty team units.

Maloney assumed a key role as quarterback of the Rangers power play. Often playing with xxxxxx, Maloney was quite aggressive himself, as his 1154 career penalty minutes attest. The solid rearguard played so well during his first two years that by 1978-79 he succeeded Phil Esposito as the Blueshirts' captain. Under his leadership, Maloney helped the team reach the Stanley Cup finals

Hockey Legends said:
Maloney was a key quarterback on the Rangers' power play and a scrappy leader in the defensive zone

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
- I didn't forget Reg Noble, he just played 2 games, not worth mentioning as a reason for high or low GAA.
Are we looking at the same season? According to my records Noble played every game in 1917.

- Based on Randall's stats I think he was a forward or at least a swingman, correct me if I'm wrong.
It's often difficult for players like Randall. For the NHA and early NHL years, my positional assignments are based on review of game reports, not just on the stats.

- I knew something was up with Montreal, I thought it was Laviolette. I didn't realize Coutu was ever a forward.
Up to 1921, Coutu played some on left wing. After that, he was blueliner only.

Just like Randall, it's often tricky with Laviolette as well to determine what position he played, so you have to turn to game reports. Laviolette was plyed forward in the IHL, played point and then cover in Montreal until 1915, when he started playing some left wing, then was primarily left wing but did play some D in 1917, and played RW in 1918.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Me too. Speaking of which, considering Coutu is drafted in the main draft based entirely on his stats, this has to drop his stock even more.
Not much. He really only played wing for his first few seasons in the league (and he still mainly played defence), which was before he really established himself in the league.

And as seventieslord pointed out, if you're drafting Coutu for his stats, you're doing it wrong.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Are we looking at the same season? According to my records Noble played every game in 1917..

yeah, whoops, I was looking at the playoffs. Noble played 14 regular season games for Toronto that year.

but, that was during the forward phase of his career to my knowledge.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
The Pittsburgh Hornets select Jim Morrison, D

photo_642162_resize_article.jpg

- NHL All-Star (1955, 1956, 1957)
- Eddie Shore Award (Outstanding Defenseman - AHL) (1966)
- AHL First All-Star Team (1966)
- AHL Second All-Star Team (1962, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1972)

Jim played six full seasons and part of a seventh as a Leaf. He had come to the team in 1951-52 as they tried to restock the defense... He was considered a good offensive defenseman in what was generally a very defensive era. He paired with some of the best leaf defenders of that era in Flaman, Thomson and Horton and it was his misfortune to leave the Leafs just prior to their climb back to respectability.

Jim was an all-star for years in the AHL before getting another kick at the NHL in 1969 at the age of 38.

In his playing days, Jim Morrison was an offensive defenseman. He came to this style by being converted from centre to defense while playing junior hockey. The style paid off well in junior as he helped the Barrie Flyers captured the 1951 Memorial Cup.

His first professional season, 1951-52, was split among four teams, the highlight coming when the Toronto Maple Leafs acquired him from the Boston Bruins. Morrison went on to play six and a half seasons with the Blue and White. His partners on the blueline during that time included Fern Flaman, Jim Thomson, and Tim Horton

Toward the end of the 1950s, the Leafs traded him back to Boston for a season. A season with the Detroit Red Wings and 14 games playing for the New York Rangers brought him into the 1960s. For most of the decade, Morrison played in the American Hockey League in Quebec.

Morrison was a well-respected player in the AHL. In 1966, the loop honoured him with its award for best defenseman, and the players elected him president of the AHL Players' Association. In battling for improved playing conditions, Morrison was traded to Baltimore. That move gave him another shot at the NHL.

As his third decade in professional hockey rolled around, he was given a shot to play with the Pittsburgh Penguins in their third season. The veteran picked up where he had left off nearly ten years before. Morrison manned the point on power plays and chipped in three helpers during the playoffs.

Morrison lasted two seasons in Pittsburgh before returning to the AHL. Following his playing career, he coached for Baltimore and the Kingston Canadians of the Ontario Major Junior Hockey League. Kirk Muller is one player that Morrison guided during his eight years of coaching the club. Jim Morrison recently retired from the Boston Bruins scouting staff following eighteen years of service.

Rated as one of the league's best rushing defensemen, Morrison is noted for his accurate shots on goal and is considered a threat whenever he crosses an opponent's blue line. Morrison can miss an oncoming forward and still get back in front of the net to check him again. Is good on clearing loose pucks and can burst out of his own end like a jet.

Played all 70 games four out of his six seasons with the Leafs, displaying a fair level of durability.

Most of this bio pulled from: http://www.hockeyfanzone.com/showthread.php?t=10851&page=11

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
And time to make my pick now, the Dragons are pleased to select with our 2nd pick in this draft, Garry Galley, a defenseman.

34-t239201-500.jpg

Some facts about Galley:

- 2 time All-Star
- 600 Career Points
- 3 Seasons of 40 or more assists

For more on Galley, please click on the following link:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=10511

I've pmed the next person picking, also I'm gone to bed now, anyone want to take a list?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad