OT: MLB Thread Part XX: Title incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Making decisions based on the last five games seems like sound tactics to me.
So wait another start. He has pitched well against very good teams. He is trending in the right direction. His fastball velocity is up. If he comes at a good price especially as a rental then he is worth it the risk. They can use all the arms they can get right now. And quite honestly I would much prefer Harvey over many of the other SP options out there other than Happ/Hamels especially because he wont cost nearly as much...and the reward could be much much bigger especially coming as a 4/5 starter in the beginning. If he fails you have German waiting to step back in.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
So wait another start. He has pitched well against very good teams. He is trending in the right direction. His fastball velocity is up. If he comes at a good price especially as a rental then he is worth it the risk. They can use all the arms they can get right now. And quite honestly I would much prefer Harvey over many of the other SP options out there other than Happ/Hamels especially because he wont cost nearly as much...and the reward could be much much bigger especially coming as a 4/5 starter in the beginning. If he fails you have German waiting to step back in.

His fastball velocity isn't up. It's up from where it was in April (which was the lowest of his career) but it's been 94.8-94.9 in May/June/July. He was 94.7 in April last year and 95.0 in May. In 2016 it was over 95 every month.

He's a low strikeout pitcher with decent control who allows a ton of home runs and gets destroyed by lefties now.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
As hilarious as it would be for Harvey to rediscover himself on the Yankees, he cons far outweigh the pros of acquiring him.

I’d rather give Sheffield a shot, and that’s honestly not an option I’d like to visit right now.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Harvey can't be fixed. He's a guy who relied heavily on his Fastball and that is completely gone.

Despite his FB still being a tick above league average in terms of velo, it's more than 100 RPM lower than average in spin rate so it plays more like 91-92. Straight, no ride and not fast anymore which is why he gets clobbered nowadays. No one whiffs on his FB anymore

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Brad Hand to the Indians

Cimber has been really good for them too, and he was added into the deal. Mejia (who is one of if not the top catching prospect in baseball) goes the other way.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The other thing about Harvey, I don't think he can play in NY again. It was too much for him. Not the pressure--the pressure I think he could handle. But he was a guy who was prone to distraction, and all the other things NY has to offer. I think if he comes back and re-assumes the "Dark Night" shit he'll just end up falling to pieces, not being able to keep his head in the game. It's probably not what he wants, but some random Southern or Midwestern club is probably his best bet if he wants to continue a career.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Not trading Frazier for any of the pitchers on the market. Not Hamels. Not Happ. Certainly not Fulmer and Archer. Unless it is for deGrom, Noah, or MadBum then Frazier is staying...and obviously he would be part of a package of other great prospects.

Otherwise I take the unpopular route for many fans of bringing up Sheffield. Feinsand made a great point on siriusxm today saying they should bring him up for a start or two before the deadline to see what he’s got and go from there. In all seriousness he should start in the Mets faces and entice them more

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Nah, don't blame him at all for not including Andujar. Kid's going to be a star player.

Also, nobody knew Cole would be pitching like this. Plus, not sure he would be if he ended up with the Yankees.
Can't argue with Andujar's results so far, but I would move him for bonafide, undisputed ace pitcher. Hope Cashman will too.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hand is a great pick for Cleveland but they paid premium. Mejia is a stud.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Horrible trade.

I would never advocate trading that much for any reliever in history of the game. Just why.

Agreed.

At least Hand is under team control for several years. Cubs paid premium for 3 months of Chapman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad