OT: MLB Thread Part XX: Title incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well the in division tax is a real thing.

There was also the Angelos would never allow machado to be traded to the Yankees tax.
Absolutely, the division tax is a real thing. And the inter-city tax is a real thing. There is no general "Yankees Tax," however.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Absolutely, the division tax is a real thing. And the inter-city tax is a real thing. There is no general "Yankees Tax," however.
The Pirates traded Cole for pennies in comparison to what the Yankees offered.

But yeah, the Yankee tax was more in reference to the division and inter-city thing.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yankees didn't get Cole because Cashman thought it was a good time to prospect hug.

If he moved Frazier and Adams, we're looking much better right now.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yankees didn't get Cole because Cashman thought it was a good time to prospect hug.

If he moved Frazier and Adams, we're looking much better right now.

It's a little more than that. People were writing him off and many were legitimately concerned as to whether he'd ever be a frontline starter again.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's a little more than that. People were writing him off and many were legitimately concerned as to whether he'd ever be a frontline starter again.
Also I recall the deal breaker being Andujar.

Which I guess with hindsight still would've been the right move to trade for Cole. Idk maybe Cash really does have a mancrush on him.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Also I recall the deal breaker being Andujar.

Which I guess with hindsight still would've been the right move to trade for Cole. Idk maybe Cash really does have a mancrush on him.

Nah, don't blame him at all for not including Andujar. Kid's going to be a star player.

Also, nobody knew Cole would be pitching like this. Plus, not sure he would be if he ended up with the Yankees.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
In 2015 Cole showed flashes of how good he could be. What he's doing this year isn't overly surprising.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Right now is the time to get Harvey at a buy low price. Add a depth arm that has quite frankly been better than Sonny Gray over the past 5 starts and has more playoff experience with even more success. He grew up a Yankee fan and that can inspire him just as much to succeed here.

Get Harvey and then over the next two weeks see who budges. See if a deGrom, Syndergaard, or Bumgarner become available. If not then add an experienced Happ or Hamels. Say no to Fulmer, Archer, etc.

If you acquire that big arm, then ask around about Moustakas and Donaldson.

See what the prices are for the relievers.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Don't want Harvey. Go and get Hamels. Sub-3 ERA on the road this season, almost 6 at Arlington.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Giants are 4 games out. They won't sell.
Giants could be even further out by the deadline. They play Seattle, Oakland, and Milwaukee 9 out of the 11 games before the deadline. Milwaukee has been sliding but they could easily turn it around after the break. Oakland has been hot. Seattle has been good all year.

Either way, I was not saying just get Harvey and be done. I just prefer the experienced Harvey over German down the stretch. Then add Hamels/Happ to push Gray out of the rotation or make it a 6-man rotation with having insurance arms.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Harvey in his last 5 starts has gone at least 5 innings and he has given up 2 runs or less against the Cards, Cubs, Brewers, Cubs, Braves.

That is pretty damn good. His ERA has dropped from 5.66 to 4.63 over that span. He has a 3.64 ERA with the Reds compared to the 7.00 ERA he had with the Mets.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Giants are 4 games out. They won't sell.

They really should.

Their chances are fools gold. That team is the equivalent to what some were hoping the rangers would be next year.

A huge no on Harvey. Too many potential issues if he comes back to NY, don’t need that distraction.

Reactions: darko

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Harvey definitely looks better. His velocity is up, he's keeping the ball in the yard, and keeping it on the ground. However, he's not really striking anyone out which is odd given his repertoire and velocity. His K/9 with Cincinnati is slightly better than it was with the Mets, but not close to when he was a dominant pitcher. And his xFIP with Cincy it still 4.36. So, I'd be somewhat hesitant to invest in him, because it's tough to really figure out what's going on with him. Not saying he's not worth a gamble, just that I'd make him my backup plan. If I were a contending team, he'd be my Plan C, maybe, and then I'd revisit him in the off-season to see if he sustains his turnaround.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
They really should.

Their chances are fools gold. That team is the equivalent to what some were hoping the rangers would be next year.

A huge no on Harvey. Too many potential issues if he comes back to NY, don’t need that distraction.
But if the price is not significant and you can get a guy with a ton of high pressure playoff experience then why not? Really because of distractions? Cmon. He has been here before and been able to succeed. As long as you are not dealing German in this deal then it makes sense. Because if he does fail WHILE also getting a Happ/Hamels, then you just dont pitch him. It is a move that can be a very low risk/high Reward. Very. Take the risk.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He isn’t he same pitcher who threw in those games 3 years ago.

They should be aiming higher. I also think Harvey should be staying as far away from NY as possible.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
You're out of your mind if you want to bring Harvey to the Yankees.

This isn't 2014 Matt Harvey. Even if he's a solid back end starter, you really want that circus?

Reactions: All Might

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Making decisions based on the last five games seems like sound tactics to me.

Harvey being high reward is nostalgia. He has the 4th highest ERA in the entire league since 2016 which is when he stopped striking people out and his strikeouts have gotten worse since then. The 3 guys worse since then are Ubaldo Jimenez, Yovani Gallardo, and Chris Tillman. Guys like Anibal Sanchez, James Shields etc. are right there with him. His K% since then is 17th worst in the league out of 129. This year alone his k% is 18th worst out of 92 guys with at least 90 innings. Nobody would even bring him up if he wasn't a formerly great pitcher in NY. The other guys I mentioned (Jimenez,Gallardo,Sanchez,Shields) all used to be really good pitchers too. Now they're all terrible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad