OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Mattingly is a brutal manager. Did you watch him completely blow games in the playoffs with LA time and time again? This would be like the Rangers hiring Messier except worse because while Mess is an unknown, we know Mattingly sucks.

Girardi was a tough task master. He was fair, but he was as strict and regimented as they get. They don't need someone to go in there and be their drinking buddy, but I do think they need to bring in someone that the guys like a little bit more. Girardi was well respected, but he didn't have the love of the players.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Not a fan of a potential Mattingly hire. Having lived in LA the last 15+ years, all my Dodger fan friends seem to be in universal agreement that he was not a great manager, and cost them dearly several times in the playoffs. Judging by how happy they were to see him go, I doubt we'd be very happy to see him arrive.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
And the Marlins had a decent year under Mattingly. Mattingly still got another job regardless of his work with the Dodgers 2-3 years ago. Managers evolve and learn.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Great, they can keep him.

I don' know that being sub .500 in the worst division in baseball can really be categorized as decent either. That doesn't fall squarely on Mattingly's shoulders, but we've seen what he can do with good teams. I don't want to watch that happen with mine while tying up the managerial spot with a guy you can't get rid of.

Reactions: ponzu4u

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think Philly makes the most sense for Joe long term and the Nationals short term.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him sit out a year and regather himself. At the very least hes earned that.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think Philly makes the most sense for Joe long term and the Nationals short term.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him sit out a year and regather himself. At the very least hes earned that.

Sounds like all sorts of bad stuff with player communication is leaking. I'm not sure he's getting a job for awhile or at least he may not get one with a veteran team.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Funny how people were comparing game 2 in Cleveland to 2001 and 2004 after the game.

Now that we won the series, I actually think the Lindor grand slam is hilarious.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Gee, not swinging at pitches that Keuchel literally never throws in the stikezone? Interesting approach.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Gee, not swinging at pitches that Keuchel literally never throws in the stikezone? Interesting approach.

I mean the Yankees didn't employ this method in game 5 and hit him anyway.

Would have been nice if Marwin Gonzalez took a vacation from playing defense against the Yankees like he did in the 1st inning there though.

Reactions: Machinehead

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I was going for Houston coming into the series, but the fact that their scum fans gave Gurriel a standing ovation ticked me off. Hope they get smashed and Darvish closes it out.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was going for Houston coming into the series, but the fact that their scum fans gave Gurriel a standing ovation ticked me off. Hope they get smashed and Darvish closes it out.

I mean what Gurriel did was wrong but it's not something I'd lose sleep over. Being a dick during an emotional moment does not necessarily make you a bad person or a racist.

What ticked me off was his weak ass (and pretty racist) explanation and as you alluded to, the standing ovations.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I always thought baseball was boring as hell, this world series is really making me review this opinion.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

If Judge did what Gurriel did and then proceeded to hit a game tying 3-run home run of the best pitcher in the game you'd give him a standing ovation too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad