OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They need guys who can get deeper into games.

Plus, you're really pushing your luck if you think CC can give you what he gave you this season next year. I'm all for bringing him back on a 1 year deal, but you can't rely on him for the same type of performance/to stay healthy the entire year.

To me, this is like questioning if you should go after Harper or not just because you led the majors in home runs. If you can add a high quality arm who is maybe the best post season pitcher ever, you'd be nuts to not do it.

The offense can be tweaked too. They worry me less than the bats do.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I gusss if they
Season is over for the NY teams. Lets start a new one.

Pitching wise this may be good but I would worry about a guy like this knowing how to work the lineups. One thing dare I say Collins was good at was knowing who to insert in there on given days and always seeming to hit when people thought he was crazy putting in Campbell or Lagares

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Callaway is arguably, if not the best pitching coach in the league. Let’s hope this fare wells for the Metsies

Reactions: egelband

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Sonny Gray trade seems redundant if they trade for a top end pitcher. Especially if they sign otani.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Astros and Yanks are both likeable teams. Would have been happy for either to make it to the WS and now rooting for Houston to beat LA.
Callaway looks like a good hire. Would have been happy with him or Cora. Someone new. Not that experienced managers are bad, necessarily. Just kind of want someone who could possibly make their mark as a Met. Someone who, for better or for worse, will be identified as a Met.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They need guys who can get deeper into games.

Plus, you're really pushing your luck if you think CC can give you what he gave you this season next year. I'm all for bringing him back on a 1 year deal, but you can't rely on him for the same type of performance/to stay healthy the entire year.

To me, this is like questioning if you should go after Harper or not just because you led the majors in home runs. If you can add a high quality arm who is maybe the best post season pitcher ever, you'd be nuts to not do it.

The offense can be tweaked too. They worry me less than the bats do.

Depends on what they want. Harper could at least be signed. Bumgarner would cost half the state of New York in a trade and it's not a need.

How about let's not hit .209.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Otani is the key to the offseason for me. A potential elite pitcher for league minimum would allow us to add a bat and still be under the tax. I'd extend Tanaka but not more than 5 years, let CC walk.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Would love Bumgarner. Lights out, goes deep in the games and is a postseason warrior.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Otani is the key to the offseason for me. A potential elite pitcher for league minimum would allow us to add a bat and still be under the tax. I'd extend Tanaka but not more than 5 years, let CC walk.

I'd bring back CC on 1/12 or 2/24 type deal.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Callaway is arguably, if not the best pitching coach in the league. Let’s hope this fare wells for the Metsies

Ray Searage is #1 IMO but Callaway is in that next group with Cooper and Righetti.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Astros and Yanks are both likeable teams. Would have been happy for either to make it to the WS and now rooting for Houston to beat LA.
Callaway looks like a good hire. Would have been happy with him or Cora. Someone new. Not that experienced managers are bad, necessarily. Just kind of want someone who could possibly make their mark as a Met. Someone who, for better or for worse, will be identified as a Met.

The Astros are not a likable team to me after that series.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The Astros are not a likable team to me after that series.

We just weren't good enough.

Astros have lot of likeable guys. Correa, Altuve, Springer are all very likeable. They do have McCann so that works against them.

Reactions: All Might

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Don't understand the Astro hate.

But if we're talking about punchable faces on that team, McCullers and Bregman take the cake.

How do you guys feel about Christian Yelich as a Gardner replacement? Always had the feeling that he was going to be a major impact player and while hes been good, he hasn't quite taken that next step yet. Marlins will be selling everyone off as Jeter and Co. want to start from scratch.

Sonny Gray trade seems redundant if they trade for a top end pitcher. Especially if they sign otani.

Not really.

Having Gray as your 4 or 5 starter would be a massive boon for the Yankees. Plus it is very unlikely that he pitches through the rest of his current contract with out missing some significant time.

I know its not the same since Lester was a free agent, but adding Bumgarner would be on the same scale as that, probably even more so since hes one of the best post season pitchers of all time. No better way to let your team know that you're all in and completely behind them than by adding a guy like that to your team.

You think teams were intimidated by playing in Yankee Stadium this fall? Imagine playing them at YS with that guy on the mound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->