OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So just ignore team flaws that have been ongoing during the regular season until they bite us in the ass in the postseason against quality competition? Because of a mediocre win against a weak TB Rays team? Cmom youre better than that

They just beat one of the better pitchers in the AL with their 6th starter going for them.

Reactions: romba

darko

Feb 16, 2009
German has good stuff. He just needs to improve his command.

Walking 3.5 per 9 isn't awful but needs to improve on it. If he can half that we are looking at very good #2/#3 type.

Also his 5+ ERA is deceiving as he's pitched much better than that. His xFIP is in mid 3s. Lots of good signs.

Reactions: Bozle

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Houston can’t out bid us.

Well .... depends. Houston might get desperate and include Whitley. There is no way I'm matching that. They can have him.

If Padres are smart they'll deal Hand this deadline and get a very good prospect for him. One of the best farm systems only gets better.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
There will be at least three very good relievers available on the market in Herrera, Hand, and Britton. I dont think you will have to overpay while still being able to add someone.

Britton will be the cheapest to acquire. Sadly we won't get him.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Walking 3.5 per 9 isn't awful but needs to improve on it. If he can half that we are looking at very good #2/#3 type.

Also his 5+ ERA is deceiving as he's pitched much better than that. His xFIP is in mid 3s. Lots of good signs.
It's not just about walks for me. It's command within the strike zone that is the bigger issue. German gets into trouble at times when he leaves pitches in the fat part of the plate.

Reactions: Bozle

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Does anyone know the Yankees record against quality competition....?

What was the record when we played 18 straight games against it?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Does anyone know the Yankees record against quality competition....?

What was the record when we played 18 straight games against it?
Pretty good would be my guess. But some loco Yanks fans need .750 baseball against the top tier of teams to guarantee playoff success and a World Series victory with minimal stress and loses. It’s 1998 or bust, and they give the rest of us a bad rap.

It’s the same reason why some guys need all stars at every single position and 3 aces leading the way.

‘ But we barely beat a mediocre Rays team!’

A mediocre rays team with a top flight starter who we managed to give a tough time to and score 4 off of (via the HR so according to some it doesn’t count cuz no HRs ever happen in the playoffs), and a Rays team that actually has a solid record after a horrible start.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Honestly you should. The pronunciation of his name has no overlap to the spelling. It's like "Skjei" but deceptive. Chaos if you ask me.
That shows how little this old NL fan knows. I used to live in London and I always thought it was pronounced "teymz" like the river in London. I live in the 90s so it makes sense I don't know a 21st century pronunciation. ;)

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Am I the only one worried that the HR tear Torres is on is nowhere near sustainable? I think his highest total before this season was 11 in more than 100 games in the minors.

I could be wrong, but I think he's going to come down to earth at some point soon and Yankees fans (myself) included aren't going to like it.

Our other players really need to kick it into gear. The output we've gotten out of Sanchez lately has been borderline embarrassing. If it weren't for his numbers last season he would have been sent down long ago

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Am I the only one worried that the HR tear Torres is on is nowhere near sustainable? I think his highest total before this season was 11 in more than 100 games in the minors.

I could be wrong, but I think he's going to come down to earth at some point soon and Yankees fans (myself) included aren't going to like it.

Our other players really need to kick it into gear. The output we've gotten out of Sanchez lately has been borderline embarrassing. If it weren't for his numbers last season he would have been sent down long ago
He's on pace for 50 homers over 600 at-bats.

Yes, it's unsustainable.

But I'd also be thrilled if he hit 25 and he could hit a wall head-on and hit 25 the way he's going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad