OT: MLB Thread Part VIII: Mets Making Moves; Yanks Trade for Acklol

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
If the Mets could re-sign Cespedes, I'd be thrilled. If they lose him, it will hurt.

It's the kind of trade you have to make when you need one big bat to really be a serious playoff contender. Cespedes is one of the top 10-15 players in the game right now.

It's a gamble, but it makes a lot of sense.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I like the deal. Sandy saw our biggest need and got the best available player without hurting the near future.

Now get TdA back. It'll be fun to see how it works out.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's never been a particularly highly regarded prospect.

He was the 44th pick in his draft. He was never a can't-miss guy, but he absolutely was (and is) well-regarded. He has electric stuff. If not for the injury, he'd have been well within all Mets Top-10 lists.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He was the 44th pick in his draft. He was never a can't-miss guy, but he absolutely was (and is) well-regarded. He has electric stuff. If not for the injury, he'd have been well within all Mets Top-10 lists.

I think the highest he's ever reached overall was like 98 on top 100 lists (2013 BP) and that was years ago. He's a fine prospect but he's not like some huge loss or anything. He's been ranked like a borderline top 10 prospect by BA/FG each year since he's been in the Mets system. This this is a case of overrating our own guys if you're that disappointing to see him go. Obviously his stock has gone up after this year but it's not like he was ever a huge prospect before the injury either.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Well, it's certainly anticlimactic to see no moves for the Yanks, but it means they didn't give up the top prospects and this makes me happy.

Meh, Yankees prospects have been overrated for years. Keith Law doesn't think Severino will be a starter.

The team is likely going to suck the next few seasons while Ellsbury, Beltran, CC, McCann, ARod, Teix decline. This was their last year to compete for a very long time IMO.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I doubt they will. They have conforto and Nimmo pushing for spots next year. Granderson and Cuddyer signed. I don't see a match past this year. Fulmer is a risk cause he has a high ceiling. But he has been derailed by injury before and who knows if it'll come back to bite him in the butt. It's a good gamble.

If they could lock up Cespedes, that makes Nimmo trade bait for an upgrade elsewhere. If only we played in a big market and could eat Cuddyer's money and DFA him...

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Meh, Yankees prospects have been overrated for years. Keith Law doesn't think Severino will be a starter.

The team is likely going to suck the next few seasons while Ellsbury, Beltran, CC, McCann, ARod, Teix decline. This was their last year to compete for a very long time IMO.

Well, Yankees fans consistently talk them up, as do fans of all teams about their own prospects, but KLaw has usually hated them.

I look at it like this: the fact that they're contending at all this year is a miracle. Happy to go full rebuild - especially in light of the international spending spree two years ago. They could be good again as soon as 2017 IMO, and could then be well-positioned for a long run. Would rather not sacrifice the next half decade just to bolster this rickety ship...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think the highest he's ever reached overall was like 98 on top 100 lists (2013 BP) and that was years ago. He's a fine prospect but he's not like some huge loss or anything. He's been ranked like a borderline top 10 prospect by BA/FG each year since he's been in the Mets system. This this is a case of overrating our own guys if you're that disappointing to see him go. Obviously his stock has gone up after this year but it's not like he was ever a huge prospect before the injury either.

I'm only disappointed to see him go if Cespedes walks. I've advocated for dealing our pitching depth for offense so I like the deal overall, but it's a gamble. If we're going to be broke forever we'll need cheap talent, so I'd rather make these deals for guys under control for a couple seasons. It's why I wanted Bruce, even though Cespedes is clearly a better talent at this point.

BarbaraAlphanse

He was written off by idiots. I never wrote him off and was pimping him to the day he was traded. If anything, people got back on the bandwagon that I never left.

I never left it either. I like him. But to ignore that he seems to be as unlucky with the injury bug as darnaud is, is silly.

He can be a #2 in this league. A dominant one. Or... Something much more common in this league could occur and injuries could derail his career.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'm only disappointed to see him go if Cespedes walks. I've advocated for dealing our pitching depth for offense so I like the deal overall, but it's a gamble. If we're going to be broke forever we'll need cheap talent, so I'd rather make these deals for guys under control for a couple seasons. It's why I wanted Bruce, even though Cespedes is clearly a better talent at this point.

That why I preferred Bruce as well (And Bruce to Gomes even).

BarbaraAlphanse

If they could lock up Cespedes, that makes Nimmo trade bait for an upgrade elsewhere. If only we played in a big market and could eat Cuddyer's money and DFA him...

Have him platoon with Duda at 1st the remaining year and a half. That's what I would do. Both players become
More productive. Immensely.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Cespedes is a rental. The Wilpons have no money, and are due to pay a $30 million Madoff settlement payment next year.

Cespedes is getting over $15m per season as a FA - it's his first big contract. Unless the Mets move major payroll over the books, it's not happening.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ok so Duda/Cuddyer platoon at first, Grandy and Cespedes in the corners and Lagares in center. Or do you put Granderson in center, bench Lagares and let Conforto play?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Cashman the Clown. It's good that he was dealing with an even bigger clown in Preller to prevent this from happening.

BarbaraAlphanse

Ok so Duda/Cuddyer platoon at first, Grandy and Cespedes in the corners and Lagares in center. Or do you put Granderson in center, bench Lagares and let Conforto play?

I let Lagares and Kirk platoon in center. Unless one of them consistently takes off. You need their defense. Grandy no. You have enough batting now to have them bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad