OT: MLB Thread Part VIII: Mets Making Moves; Yanks Trade for Acklol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
The Mets are loaded with young pitching talent right now--not crazy to think the organization favored Molina and Ynoa over Meisner, not to mention that you have to imagine they'll draft a pitcher in the next 3-4 years who'll basically be Meisner redux. And that's also ignoring Fulmer and Montero. Losing Meisner barely hurts.

Keith Law hates the deal, but the Mets needed someone to replace Alex Torres. Mets have a fantastic bullpen if Bobby Parnell can keep his GB% up and Clippard doesn't start sucking after leaving Oakland.

Get a bat. Lagares get his surgery and Carlos Gomez plays CF. If Duda can ever rebound (which is far from a guarantee) and TdA can stay healthy (also far from a given), the Mets are very real.

With Meisner, I see a guy with a good amount of projection, but carries risk and is raw. He's real tall, so he has issues with his mechanics that he needs to iron out. Mid-rotation ceiling for me. He may only throw 92 or so, but it's probably looking faster from the perspective of the hitter because of the height it's coming from. And as he adds more weight to his frame, he should be able to maintain the velocity for longer periods of time.

I'm not a huge fan of the deal. I see what they're thinking with Mejia not eligible for the post season, but I'd only do this deal if we're legitimately thinking the Mets are WS contenders with Clippard a FA at the end of the year. I just don't see the Mets as legit contenders this year. I still see a team that's a year away. Maybe this is a sign they'll buy a hitter (Gomez as you mentioned, maybe Bruce or Cespedes or Upton depending on the health of his oblique) and really load up for a post season run. But if this is the last big deal they do, and they don't acquire an above average hitter, I don't like the move. I know prospects are what they are. Most of them don't make it anyway. But for a RP who's a FA at the end of the year and a team that I'm not totally convinced is a legitimate contender with that lineup, I just don't see it. Yeah they may not need a SP given the depth of their rotation and the depth of pitching throughout the system, but the big thing about SP is it's a position that can really go from a position of strength to a position of weakness relatively quickly for obvious reasons.

Like I said, my opinion here may change if they're able to acquire a Gomez or Bruce or some hitter like that to pair with this deal to go for it. But if this is it, I'm not too thrilled.

The way to the playoffs for the Mets is through the division. It's the easier path than through the WC. They'll need to load up considering WAS hasn't played their best baseball for most of this season (I thought, and others as well, that they'd be the best team in baseball coming into the year). WAS is only going to get better with Strasburg and Rendon coming back and the team getting healthier. NYM can do this, but I'm not convinced they can do it without a deal for a Gomez or Bruce or Upton or Cespedes.

*Bob Richards*

I shouldn't feel bad for A-Rod because he's a millionaire baseball player but I do because everyone just hates him lol.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Mejia wasn't suspended for 162 games when the rules on the length of suspension are clearly in place.

I'm not anti-A-Rod, but he shouldn't be compared to someone like Mejia. He lied and lied and lied, and then lied some more. He did literally everything a person could do to cover up his actions. It's easier to forgive a guy that gets caught and then owns up to it to his teammates than a guy who tries to throw everyone else under the bus before finally being forced (basically) to admit wrongdoing.

With all that said, the way MLB treated Rodriguez was a joke. **** them. I root for A-Rod, even though I think he's kind of a repugnant personality, just to spite MLB.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Oh please stop it with the Met homerism. Arod would be the best offensive player on your team the moment he arrives even with his old bones. And by a lot.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm not anti-A-Rod, but he shouldn't be compared to someone like Mejia. He lied and lied and lied, and then lied some more. He did literally everything a person could do to cover up his actions. It's easier to forgive a guy that gets caught and then owns up to it to his teammates than a guy who tries to throw everyone else under the bus before finally being forced (basically) to admit wrongdoing.

With all that said, the way MLB treated Rodriguez was a joke. **** them. I root for A-Rod, even though I think he's kind of a repugnant personality, just to spite MLB.

That is exactly how I feel. What Alex was doing was wrong but MLB and their witch hunt was right up there too.

Mejia comment was more to do with the whole 'embrace you cheat' comment.

rktaker

Oh please stop it with the Met homerism. Arod would be the best offensive player on your team the moment he arrives even with his old bones. And by a lot.

no mets homerism just speaking the truth how about you guys stop with the yankee homerism

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

That doesn't mean everyone has to want the guy on their team. Like Barry Bonds--amazing player, but I wouldn't want him on my team. I'm not sure I could root for him. Guys with criminal records, controversial political views, generally bad attitudes, etc. From a fan's standpoint there are plenty of things that matter other than talent.

I'd take A-Rod, but I totally understand why others wouldn't. There are valid reasons to not want the guy associated with your favorite franchise.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Love A-Rod. Just wish he would embrace the villain role. Love that his offensive production magically tripled from age 38 to 40. Love that he's back on steroids.

The Steroid Era was a part of baseball, and ironically maybe the most popular baseball ever was. We can't ignore that whole era and honestly we should embrace it. Embrace Sosa, Bonds, McGwire, A-Rod, (not Clemens he's an a-hole), Canseco, all of them. Make Steroids legal. Maybe even go as far as make them mandatory.

Long live the Steroid Era.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Whats all the hype about Parra? I just looked at his stats and they are nothing but average what am I missing? His 162 game average stats since being in the ML are 9HR's and 51 RBI's with no speed am I missing some kind of fancy stats that I don't understand?

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
A-rod is kind of a ******, but after seeing the MLB and Yankee defamation campaign against him I can't help but root for him. MLB tried to take the moral high ground despite the disgusting history of the game. I take A-Rod and his roids over Ty Cobb and his racism any day.

Don't let the capitalists keep you down A-Rod. :yo:

rktaker

Whats all the hype about Parra? I just looked at his stats and they are nothing but average what am I missing? His 162 game average stats since being in the ML are 9HR's and 51 RBI's with no speed am I missing some kind of fancy stats that I don't understand?

in general yes but he's been having a real good year this year .317/.356/.861
and a .360 babip

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
no mets homerism just speaking the truth how about you guys stop with the yankee homerism

A-Rod has 3 more MVPs than the whole Mets franchise. He is a player who'd arguably be bigger than the club he plays for if he were to join the Mets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad