OT: MLB Thread Part VIII: Mets Making Moves; Yanks Trade for Acklol

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Cespedes in Mets lineup will encourage this Yankee fan to tune in.
I was (happily) amazed the Red Sox didn't keep him, the guy was the next coming of Manny and Jim Rice, that park was made for him.

I cant recall a scarier right-handed power hitter on the Mets, maybe Piazza
Foster was old as a Met, and Kingman had nothing but hit-or-miss power,
but this guy is an outright beast.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Cespedes is a rental. The Wilpons have no money, and are due to pay a $30 million Madoff settlement payment next year.

Cespedes is getting over $15m per season as a FA - it's his first big contract. Unless the Mets move major payroll over the books, it's not happening.

I know but it's nice to pretend we're an actual big-market team.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
He's never been a particularly highly regarded prospect.

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 53m53 minutes ago

Scout raved to me this morning that Fulmer reminds of young Garza/Garret Richards

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 44m44 minutes ago

Michael Fulmer, going to the Tigers, was the Mets' No. 5 prospect. Heavy fastball up to mid-90s with a plus slider, pounds the strike zone.

Wouldn't write him off so soon.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
No one has to write off Fulmer. He's a good prospect.

Cespedes is a top 15 player in the league this season at this very moment. Of course you have to give up a good prospect.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Wouldn't write him off so soon.

David Cameron ‏@DCameronFG 17m17 minutes ago
So @kileymcd is driving, but he told me he’d give Fulmer a 50 FV grade now. That would have put him in #80-#142 range in 2015 Top 200.

The cost was a couple of solid but not spectacular prospects. Michael Fulmer is the headliner in the deal, and while Kiley McDaniel gave him a 45 FV grade before the season, he told me he’d bump him up to a 50 based on the improved slider and command he’s shown this year. Still, it’s mostly a toss-up whether he’s a starter or a reliever, and he’s sticking with his Joba Chamberlain comparison, so this isn’t exactly a premium pitching prospect that the Mets just surrendered. Luis Cessa, the second prospect, is more of just an arm-strength guy with average secondary stuff; Kiley mentioned he’s still a 40 FV and compared him to the pitching prospects the team gave up to get Uribe and Johnson last week.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mets-finally-land-big-bat-in-yoenis-cespedes/

So a couple of decent prospects. Not a sure thing by any means obviously he has the potential to be good but that's a long shot. More likely they see him as a back of the rotation starter or reliever. Of course there's some chance he becomes better than that.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
If the Mets resign Cespedes I'll go all-in but it'd be nice if they did it now so I can get playoff tickets for this season. :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad