OT: MLB Thread 2024

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Volpe 4-4 tonight and 8-14 with four walks to start the season.

dc1zp67-54be41bb-7874-4760-b16d-fbf3108f3bba.png

Oh yeah, Yankees also just improved to 5-0.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yesterday was the first time I thought that maybe just maybe trading Alonso is the right move.

Also, Lindor is NOT a leader, or at least not the type of leader a team can depend on to break it out of a malaise. He’s the type of guy that puts up numbers, ‘leads on the field’, but that’s where it ends. I used to follow the Guardians and this was the knock on him pretty much his entire career in Cleveland. He wanted the money, wanted the ‘C’ on his uni but did not appreciate all the extracurricular work that entails. Pete would be better suited to that role but I don’t think that’s his M.O. either.

They have a massive leadership void which is why I was surprised that Stearns effectively shitcanned Buck at the end of last season. The last thing I would do with this Mets team is put a rookie manager in charge; sorta reminds me of when the Rangers installed Quinn with that veteran roster. Bad fit all around, although I do believe that Mendoza will one day be a good to great bench boss. I just don't think it happens within his early Mets tenure until they change the makeup of the roster. It's the main reason why I think Soto is a pipe dream; they need to really gut the team and start over because now they're treading water toward mediocrity.

He will, will he? I don't believe that for a second....at least in his and the team's mind. The Yankees are so paranoid when it comes to injuries that they'll pull guys from the lineup and IL them for so much as a scratch, citing 'precautionary reasons'. You can easily load manage your way right out of the playoffs if you're not careful.
I'm a Yankee fan so I'm not a Mets expert but its surprising that you would want to trade Alonzo. From a distance he seems like one of the best Mets I have seen. I do not like Alonzo nor Lindors attitudes but as I said before I'm a Yankees fan.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
I'm a Yankee fan so I'm not a Mets expert but its surprising that you would want to trade Alonzo. From a distance he seems like one of the best Mets I have seen. I do not like Alonzo nor Lindors attitudes but as I said before I'm a Yankees fan.
I’m a Yankee fan as well, but I don’t hate on the Mets at all….in fact I think Cohen is going to be a long term big time positive for their future. My point goes to an objective viewing of the Met roster and trying to concoct a scenario of how that team becomes a bona fide WS contender in the next couple years without a full rebuild. I could see how adding a Soto to the lineup could help, but there are just SO many holes that they need more than a single Ace Bandage. I’m also a bit curious to see how Stearns operates with a 250MM+ champagne budget when he was used to buying Natty Light in Milwaukee.

They really have no rotation outside of Senga-all of the pitchers they have incubating in the minors are simply ephemera (like all other pitching prospects) until proven otherwise which can take years assuming good health. And the bullpen outside of Diaz is simply garbage.

The lineup has Alvarez, Nimmo, Alonso and Lindor. But they need two other good outfielders, second (McNeil is a bum) and third basemen (they clearly don’t trust Baty) and are going to have to decide if they want to throw 35-36MM per annum at Alonso. Again, they have a few position player prospects like Gilbert, Acuna and Williams hanging around but odds are those guys won’t succeed immediately so there’s no quick fix on the farm. And Lindor isn’t getting any younger and plays a physically demanding position.

It’s also well nigh impossible to get high impact talent out of the draft with the way penalties are structured for high payroll teams, especially ones that are mediocre instead of outright 90-100 loss bad.

Ultimately for the next 5-6 seasons they need to ask themselves where they measure in relation to the Braves, Phillies, Dodgers, Diamondbacks and likely the Pirates, Reds and Cubs. Right now those teams are either light years ahead or have enough young players percolating up to the bigs to put them ahead of the Mets as playoff contenders.

This isn’t gonna be easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickyFotiu

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Yeha and so broken that they went out and no hit the Blue Jays a day after being swept by the Yankees.

Astros unfortunately will also be fine.
LOL oh yeah, so sorry you got me.......the Rangers were down 3-2 and came back on the Astros with both games 6 and 7 come from behind victories in which the HOU bullpen exploded.

Not buying that didn't affect them nor that they'll, ahem, be 'fine'.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
LOL oh yeah, so sorry you got me.......the Rangers were down 3-2 and came back on the Astros with both games 6 and 7 come from behind victories in which the HOU bullpen exploded.

Not buying that didn't affect them nor that they'll, ahem, be 'fine'.

Kind of sounds like what happened to them in the world series against the Nationals.

They've won since then.

trust me when I say that I hope that they completely fall apart but it isn't happening. Not yet.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Verdugo hit that ball to Utah

Kind of ridiculous that the d backs didn’t hit a ball out of the infield in the bottom part of the inning and still tied the game.

Clay Holmes isn’t it, but this is the one instance where he did what he needed to and just got boned by his defense and Babip. I guess it was a make up for his outings in Houston.

Ian Hamilton otoh IS it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kind of ridiculous that the d backs didn’t hit a ball out of the infield in the bottom part of the inning and still tied the game.

Clay Holmes isn’t it, but this is the one instance where he did what he needed to and just got boned by his defense and Babip. I guess it was a make up for his outings in Houston.

Ian Hamilton otoh IS it.
I never got Holmes being the closer.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I never got Holmes being the closer.

I don’t think they’ve had other options who weren’t more valuable in other roles. King was great eating 2-3 innings to bridge the gap. They seem to want to do the same with Hamilton.

I get the idea. He keeps the ball down a better to have a guy you’re going to need 2-3 hits off of to score a run than just one but he also walks more guys than I’d like and he doesn’t miss enough bats. He used to, but that’s gone away.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Hulu + Live TV now includes the MLB network. I'm watching the Mets game and am thrilled about the addition. They also added PBS in the last year. You can add ESPN+ to watch the NYR if you live outside NY.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Haven't watched a game... but the Yankees rotation looks weak on paper.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Haven't watched a game... but the Yankees rotation looks weak on paper.
Losing Cole is huge. With Cole they are Cole, Stroman, Gill, Rodan. That is not bad.

Not sure what we can expect from Clarke or Nestor though.

Can they hold up without Cole? Hopefully but any team would feel the loss of a CY Young winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00