MLB regular season thread - Part XII - Another bat flip edition - Twins lose 100

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
going to be another game where the Mets rely heavy on the bullpen. Matz has been scratched from his start and it is hopeful this isn't going to lead to him being shut down for the year. Gabriel Ynoa will start tonight. he pitched well his last start but could only go 4 2/3 against the Twins.

They probably don't win tonight. This game on paper going into the series looked the most loseable despite the fact the Mets have beaten up Hellickson more than any other NL East team this year. Even if Matz had started the pen would have had to go deep tonight. If Ynoa implodes I think Terry Collins brings in Logan Verrett and has him take it on the chin if need be. The next two games are winnable with bad starters going for the Phils so you cannot afford to use your key pen guys tonight if its a 6-0 game early or something.

Since Snydergaard was tossed immediately when he hit Utley, I expect the Phillies pitcher to be tossed straight away if he throws at Cabrera tonight

Good luck with that. Kerwin Danley is the HP ump tonight, one of the most veteran umpires in the league. He's not going to toss a pitcher, especially one like Hellickson who has no reputation for ever throwing at anyone. The ump who tossed Syndergaard was a rookie in his first game looking to make a name for himself. He actually tossed someone else last month when he was called up from AAA again for an emergency fill in. He's not making much of a case to be hired full time, thats for sure.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Hopefully my jabs at the Cubs yesterday don't come true these next 3 nights at least. If they can somehow sweep St. Louis you have to think the Cardinals are most likely done if the Mets and Giants can take 3 of 4 this weekend.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
They probably don't win tonight. This game on paper going into the series looked the most loseable despite the fact the Mets have beaten up Hellickson more than any other NL East team this year. Even if Matz had started the pen would have had to go deep tonight. If Ynoa implodes I think Terry Collins brings in Logan Verrett and has him take it on the chin if need be. The next two games are winnable with bad starters going for the Phils so you cannot afford to use your key pen guys tonight if its a 6-0 game early or something.

it will be a win for the Mets bullpen if they can get 5 innings out of Ynoa.
between Collins questionable managing and this team being held together with glue and duct tape it is a minor miracle they are where they are.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
The Cards lineup today makes me think Matheny is hopeful Maddon sees it early and decided that it's just a scrimmage and puts a bunch of Coghlan, LaStella, Seizure and whoever else isn't best.

No Diaz, no Moss, Adams playing, Wong in LF. lol.

WO6AbUg.jpg

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Am I the only person who sees nothing wrong with what Clevenger tweeted? I mean why can't the guy say he thinks the protestors should be locked up? And he cannot point out the fact the officer who shot the guy was black? I don't get it at all.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Am I the only person who sees nothing wrong with what Clevenger tweeted? I mean why can't the guy say he thinks the protestors should be locked up? And he cannot point out the fact the officer who shot the guy was black? I don't get it at all.
You are the only person.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
People just need to learn if they don't have a politically correct opinion they're better off keeping their mouth shut because it's always going to lead to backlash.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
To me its no worse than these clowns refusing to stand for the anthem and Kaepernick's clown socks.
Not to get all moral on a baseball forum, but all the political and moral garbage going on in sport needs to curb. I understand athletes have opinions, but they are also being paid huge amounts of money to play sports. Make your money grab then when your retired go into your stance.

The things Clevenger tweeted could not only be considered racist and hateful, but also put the Mariners in a tough spot. I don't need that as a fan. He should be worried about hitting a change up. Hate speech is nothing but a cowards crutch. If that's what you need to resort to to try and prove a point, it makes you look weak and needy.

Speaking of weak and needy, the cards are crumbling like old crackers to the mighty Cubs. Here's hoping Maddon pulls the starters for rest....

wait, Jakes pitching.....sorry cards, but I think your WC chances get crushed this series.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
At least it looks like there won't be another Giants/Cardinals NLCS. I want the Mets to miss.
I want to see Thor put the team on his back. And for Asdrubal to continue his legend.

But I also want to see Martinez pitch in the playoffs and the Giants to try again in an even year. If I had to choose, probably want STL to miss. Don't really like watching them as much as the other two.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Leake just didn't have it today.

Guess the pressure got to him. This is why you need big game players.

Lord knows James Shields would have made a difference.....

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Cubs, MLB file suit against Wrigleyville vendors

Cubs, MLB file suit against Wrigleyville vendors
3:04 PM CT
Darren Rovell
ESPN Senior Writer
The Chicago Cubs and the licensing arm of Major League Baseball sued Wrigleyville vendors on Thursday, accusing them of selling counterfeit merchandise around Wrigley Field and infringing on trademarks owned by the team and the league. The plaintiffs ask the federal court to at least temporarily stop vendors, some of whom the suit identifies by name, by face and by products sold, from producing and selling the counterfeit gear.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17620792/chicago-cubs-mlb-file-suit-wrigleyville-vendors

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Question for Wrigley:

Would this Cubs season be a success or failure if they reached the World Series but didn't win it?

Obviously if they don't win the NL pennant the season would be a letdown, but would ending the long pennant drought that goes back to 1945 in of itself be a success in itself regardless of what possibly happened after that?

Obviously, we know about 1908, but the WS dry spell is lengthy in and of itself (It's a longer drought than even the legendary Rangers 1940 Cup drought was)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad