Blue Jays Discussion: MLB Draft, June 9-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Gosh when I look at some other key players in the MLB and how horrible some of them have been I don't feel bad for some of our jays. I guess this happens every year. Some players nose dive and others thrive.

Examples of players having bad seasons -Shelby Miller who looked to be an excellent pitcher is having a horrible start. 6.64 ERA, walks are up and Ks are down. Didn't Arizona give up and arm/leg to acquire him?

Other notables Ken Giles, Mark Texeira (old) and there a few others including Russell Martin :/

The only saving grace for these other teams is players contracts are low compared to Tex and Martin which are huge.

Easier to move the smaller contracts if the team decides.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Can't really argue this.

“They say they’re trying to protect players. They make a rule that says you can’t slide hard into second base. They make a rule to protect the catchers on slides into home. But when you throw a ball at somebody, nothing’s done about it. My manager comes out to ask what’s going on and he gets ejected for it. That’s what happens.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Aaron Loup (elbow) pitched a scoreless eighth inning in his rehab debut with Triple-A Buffalo on Sunday.

Loup worked around a double by inducing three groundouts. The left-hander has been out all season due to a flexor strain in his throwing elbow. He should be an option for the Toronto bullpen by the end of this week.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Aaron Loup (elbow) pitched a scoreless eighth inning in his rehab debut with Triple-A Buffalo on Sunday.

Loup worked around a double by inducing three groundouts. The left-hander has been out all season due to a flexor strain in his throwing elbow. He should be an option for the Toronto bullpen by the end of this week.

Good. Hopefully Travis is back soon.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Everything Donaldson said is absolutely correct. This has been getting to me the past couple years, why it's ok to throw at people and nothing happens. I can't remember the last time an opponent pitcher has been thrown out of the game for throwing at a Jays hitter and I need more than 1 hand to count the number of pitchers that were intentionally thrown at a Jays hitter in just this season and last season alone.

Literally everytime a Jays pitcher has intentionally hit someone they've been tossed and suspended. Stroman against Baltimore. Sanchez against KC(still don't think that was intentional), Chavez against Texas. And I don't have a problem with it to be honest. If we're throwing at them on purpose we should be tossed. The problem is we never instigate it. All 3 times the other team has thrown at us and nothing happens and we throw at them and boom we're gone.

It's getting to the point where it's difficult to not believe that the umps have some sort of vendetta against us. As much as you don't want to believe that's the case. Why is it always us that gets the raw deal?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It annoys me too how every minor little thing can cause a player to be thrown at. What did Donaldson do to get thrown at? Last time I checked, this game is supposed to be played by men. Teams get their feelings hurt so often over some BS, it's disturbing. Oh how dare Josh stare at our dugout after we chirped him the last game? Oh how dare Bautista do a bat flip after hitting a huge, historic home run for the franchise? ********.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Everything Donaldson said is absolutely correct. This has been getting to me the past couple years, why it's ok to throw at people and nothing happens. I can't remember the last time an opponent pitcher has been thrown out of the game for throwing at a Jays hitter and I need more than 1 hand to count the number of pitchers that were intentionally thrown at a Jays hitter in just this season and last season alone.

Literally everytime a Jays pitcher has intentionally hit someone they've been tossed and suspended. Stroman against Baltimore. Sanchez against KC(still don't think that was intentional), Chavez against Texas. And I don't have a problem with it to be honest. If we're throwing at them on purpose we should be tossed. The problem is we never instigate it. All 3 times the other team has thrown at us and nothing happens and we throw at them and boom we're gone.

It's getting to the point where it's difficult to not believe that the umps have some sort of vendetta against us. As much as you don't want to believe that's the case. Why is it always us that gets the raw deal?

There's a fine line, I don't believe for a moment Hughes was trying to hit Donaldson with the first pitch. He just hit a HR I don't see what the problem is trying to regain the inside part of the plate by backing a player off. The 2nd pitch yes he tried to hit Donaldson but you just can't toss Hughes because of that you need to give out a warning first. I would also add the pitch was behind him and Hughes wasn't head hunting.

Umpires have a vendetta against Toronto? Well maybe players shouldn't tell umpires how they should umpire the game. It's a two way street and players should keep their mouth shut.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It annoys me too how every minor little thing can cause a player to be thrown at. What did Donaldson do to get thrown at? Last time I checked, this game is supposed to be played by men. Teams get their feelings hurt so often over some BS, it's disturbing. Oh how dare Josh stare at our dugout after we chirped him the last game? Oh how dare Bautista do a bat flip after hitting a huge, historic home run for the franchise? ********.

Donaldson after the home run spit in the direction of the Twins dugout, Donaldson even admitted as much.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
There's a fine line, I don't believe for a moment Hughes was trying to hit Donaldson with the first pitch. He just hit a HR I don't see what the problem is trying to regain the inside part of the plate by backing a player off. The 2nd pitch yes he tried to hit Donaldson but you just can't toss Hughes because of that you need to give out a warning first. I would also add the pitch was behind him and Hughes wasn't head hunting.

Umpires have a vendetta against Toronto? Well maybe players shouldn't tell umpires how they should umpire the game. It's a two way street and players should keep their mouth shut.

So you're telling me he wasn't trying to hit him with the first pitch but all of a sudden decided yeah I think I'll do it now? That doesn't make any sense. He absolutely tried to hit him with the first pitch. Missed, and then tried again, and missed again.

The whole point of my argument is that there shouldn't need to be a warning necessary. I'm saying the way that works is stupid. You shouldn't be allowed to try to hit someone with the ball and the umpire just warn you for it. Does the ref give you a warning for elbowing someone in the head? If Donaldson throws the ball intentionally at the runner does he get a warning for that? If he throws his bat at the pitcher he's ok just because he wasn't warned about throwing the bat at the pitcher previously in the game? Does Odor get a warning, you shouldn';t go punching opposition players in the face, do it again and you'll be tossed. Nope. It's an act of violence on purpose. If the umpire believes he did it on purpose it should be an immediate ejection. In fact in the base ball rules which Donaldson refers to, it says the ump can toss a player out of the game if he deems it's intentional. Just none of them do that for some reason.

And I didn't say that the umps do have a vendetta against Toronto. I said it's getting more and more difficult not to believe that given every single time there's an incident it's always Toronto who comes out with someone tossed.

Last edited:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

You don't need to give a warning if you deem that the pitcher intentionally threw at a player, which is basically JD and everyone else's point.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You don't need to give a warning if you deem that the pitcher intentionally threw at a player, which is basically JD and everyone else's point.

It's proper protocol because if you didn't give out warnings and tossed pitchers then you're judging intent and the umpires would be put in a difficult situation. I think the umpires did a great job yesterday. You noticed nothing happened after the pitch behind Donaldson. That's what you want, you want the game to be played without the theatrics.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Soo Jon Harris might have turned a corner

7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 11 K, 1 BB

That is two dominate performances in a row and other then his first start or two of the year he had been pretty good.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's proper protocol because if you didn't give out warnings and tossed pitchers then you're judging intent and the umpires would be put in a difficult situation. I think the umpires did a great job yesterday. You noticed nothing happened after the pitch behind Donaldson. That's what you want, you want the game to be played without the theatrics.

and all that had to happen to calm both teams down was Donaldson had to be subjected to an increase chance of injury by having 2 fastballs aimed at his midsection. What a wonderful system.

A better system would be the Twins directing their anger elsewhere or have their pitcher ejected from the game.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

That is two dominate performances in a row and other then his first start or two of the year he had been pretty good.

0.83 ERA, me like. Especially if he keeps K'ing people at that rate.

Couple more dominant starts and it might be time for him to see what Dunedin is like

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Besides Stroman plunking a batter, you mean?

I agree in the sense something happened. But that didn't appear on purpose. It was a 1-2 count on a pitch that wasn't very far inside where the batter managed to leave his elbow there to get hit.

Didn't look on purpose.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I'm still puzzled at the how the umpire stepping into an existing argument is the one to throw Gibbons out, and not the umpire who's actions are being argued. It's funny because Buck\Tablor were all, "Joe West is an old school guy, he'll know what that was about" (my paraphrase), yet he kicks Gibbons out.

Video: http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2016/05/22/726189983/1463948553538/asset_1800K.mp4

Obviously we don't have the exact conversation and what was said, but the body language of Gibbons is just so chill. Joe West is pointing his finger, trying to engage him as he keeps walking away, etc. Just completely unprofessional.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008

Pentecost is also having a good start to the season coming back from injury.

Good to see our recent first rounders having success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad