Blue Jays Discussion: MLB Draft, June 9-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
The remaining core left with EE and Bautista gone is good enough for this team to middle out in my opinion. That's the problem we will be a middling team stuck with potentially two anchor contracts in Martin and Tulo. As for the prospects, some of them have been promising but none of them are good enough to truly be able to expect any long term value out of them yet, we are still a well below average farm with no real elite prospects.

As for trading Bautista and EE, I have been saying this for a while now we will not get a return for them that people are expecting even if they do waive there no trade rights, they could put conditions on it, realistically it will only be teams that are in a playoff race, then they may not want to go to one or two of them for personal reasons or some of the teams won't be in need for them. Basically there won't be a lot of suitors for them, and the ones that are interested will know that they are most likely bidding against themselves and everybody will end up disappointed in the return.

You're probably right. Always depends on the market. The best value is probably the comp pick in all honesty.

There will be new prospects and who knows what Shapiro will do. Smoak is looking good, Saunders is looking fantastic...maybe he decides to sell high if he wants to blow it up...hard to know. They probably are a middling team with just the young core, but you'd have to expect they'd add at the same time...new prospects, FA signings, trades, won't just be what they have now in the minor system.

It's not good, but at the same time I still don't see it as being that bad. At least if Shapiro/Atkins decide to re-do things a bit it shouldn't be a total strip down based on what the team already has.

The positive is the teams future probably isn't the Minnesota Twins...or Atlanta Braves....ick

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm starting to think this: It would suck if the Jays were mired many games under .500 at the end of June but it might be the best thing for the 2018+ Toronto Blue Jays' teams.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm starting to think this: It would suck if the Jays were mired many games under .500 at the end of June but it might be the best thing for the 2018+ Toronto Blue Jays' teams.

Best case scenario might be all of our big guns back in form by mid season and being out of playoff contention. Sell off Jose, Edwin, Tulo, Martin, and Dickey to the highest bidders. That would replenish the farm system in a hurry.

Move forward building around a core of Donaldson, Travis, Saunders, Pillar, Stroman, Sanchez, and Osuna.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Best case scenario might be all of our big guns back in form by mid season and being out of playoff contention. Sell off Jose, Edwin, Tulo, Martin, and Dickey to the highest bidders. That would replenish the farm system in a hurry.

Move forward building around a core of Donaldson, Travis, Saunders, Pillar, Stroman, Sanchez, and Osuna.

Martin and Tulo aren't going anywhere.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I was thinking today that I wonder if the Jays if the season remains as is would move Jose with the understanding that if he wanted to return they would re up him in the off season. Sell him as a pure rental for assets to make the team better for next year. I know most of what we return would be of the prospect variety but with Jose if wager we'd get at least one mlb ready piece or one that's just coming into the majors. I see the return for Jose similar to what Price got for the Tigers. Two mlb ready arms one being highly regarded and a minor prospect that the Jays like that isn't high on any rankings. Not sure what they would target. An arm or positional player though.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
No kidding. Dumb, panic-induced move.

Or there's an issue we aren't aware of. Maybe he's asked to be moved. Maybe he's terrible and they want his roster spot. If he was doing his job they wouldn't be selling him off at all. This is the final season of his deal so it's not like we can wait it out. Maybe he wants to try and make the team better. Crazy thoughts right? Oh and maybe they don't want to pay over 8 million for him to not even be able to do mop up duties.

Your right though. We should hold on to him.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Or there's an issue we aren't aware of. Maybe he's asked to be moved. Maybe he's terrible and they want his roster spot. If he was doing his job they wouldn't be selling him off at all. This is the final season of his deal so it's not like we can wait it out. Maybe he wants to try and make the team better. Crazy thoughts right? Oh and maybe they don't want to pay over 8 million for him to not even be able to do mop up duties.

Your right though. We should hold on to him.

Could be. And Shapiro has talked about a long season and not making for lack of a better word, panic-like trades.

Doesn't make sense to give up on him this early. Cecil has been brutal too.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
If Tulo contionues to struggle and they team as a whole is sucking, I could see them shopping him
Martin, no

No one is taking Tulo's boat anchor contract at this rate. 4.5 years left at $20M per for a guy who has shown signs of rapid decline since last year? Not exactly appealing.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Could be. And Shapiro has talked about a long season and not making for lack of a better word, panic-like trades.

Doesn't make sense to give up on him this early. Cecil has been brutal too.

Except that he referenced the 40 game mark in early interviews (before ST if I remember correctly) as a meaningful date for understanding trends and the direction your ball club is going.

frost king

Dec 11, 2013
If Tulo contionues to struggle and they team as a whole is sucking, I could see them shopping him
Martin, no

Martin could easily end up as a Met. They are in the market for a catcher, and they are close enough again to a playoff spot to pull the trigger.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Martin could easily end up as a Met. They are in the market for a catcher, and they are close enough again to a playoff spot to pull the trigger.

I don't think the Jays would really want to trade him either way. He's been brutal with the bat but with a young staff that could get younger at the deadline, he's a solid vet behind the plate that is outstanding defensively. He's Canadian which helps too. I don't think you can trade the whole team as some suggest. I'm sure he'll get past this nightmare start at some point. He and Tulo have at least been hitting a little of late. The zero power from Martin is a real concern to me though.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Urena homerun, 4th of the year. Missed the last couple games for what was I assume an injury, 1st game back.

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014
I gotta say. Umps these days have some seriously thin skin. They need to grow some balls and realize that people are not there to see them. It's as if they are trying to reclaim some power in the game after having some taken away by the instant replays. I remember when coaches and players had to argue with the ump for at least 30 seconds before being tossed. You had to throw your hat or kick dirt. Let the players play.

The Bad Seed*

You're probably right. Always depends on the market. The best value is probably the comp pick in all honesty.

There will be new prospects and who knows what Shapiro will do. Smoak is looking good, Saunders is looking fantastic...maybe he decides to sell high if he wants to blow it up...hard to know. They probably are a middling team with just the young core, but you'd have to expect they'd add at the same time...new prospects, FA signings, trades, won't just be what they have now in the minor system.

It's not good, but at the same time I still don't see it as being that bad. At least if Shapiro/Atkins decide to re-do things a bit it shouldn't be a total strip down based on what the team already has.

The positive is the teams future probably isn't the Minnesota Twins...or Atlanta Braves....ick

The braves will be fantastic in three or four years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad