Blue Jays Discussion: MLB Draft, June 9-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
This Blue Jays team and coaching staff, which seems ill prepared on a consistent basis, is fodder for such a team, unfortunately.

They're "fodder" based on... what? They haven't had problems with the O's the last couple years, and they've been outscored by one run in their three games this year.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Well I mean the Jays offense isn't exactly scary ... Jays pitching is going to have their work cut out for them against the O's offense.

Give me a break. I don't care what the numbers say, the Jays can slug it out with the O's. Jays can go toe to toe offensively with anyone. Os don't scare me at all. Jays can take care of their bats, just like the Jays took care of Boston for the most part. I bet you Jays score more runs than Baltimore in this series.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Give me a break. I don't care what the numbers say, the Jays can slug it out with the O's. Jays can go toe to toe offensively with anyone. Os don't scare me at all. Jays can take care of their bats, just like the Jays took care of Boston for the most part. I bet you Jays score more runs than Baltimore in this series.

I don't get the Orioles' offense. The power was expected and has been outstanding, but they have a .303 BABIP (not extreme at all, but 30 points higher than the Jays) despite the lowest line drive rate in the league. It's not like they just slap the ball around the field, either; they're one of the most extreme pull-hitting teams.

They're just weird.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I would take that bet.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Anyone know when the Machado suspension would take effect, assuming he appeals?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Anyone know when the Machado suspension would take effect, assuming he appeals?
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...er-charging-mound-tuesday-20160608-story.html

After suspensions are issued, a player can either immediately begin serving his discipline or inform the league office, through the players' union, of his intent to appeal. Players can play while awaiting their appeal hearing, but must begin serving any disciplinary action after the appeal process is complete. Players can also drop their appeals or make a settlement.

John McHale Jr., the special assistant to the commissioner, hears a player’s appeal and decides whether the suspension should be amended – if it should be reduced or rescinded – and he usually makes his ruling within two days of the hearing.

So it sounds like 2 days to decide the length of suspension, and then if they appeal, a decision is made within 2 days

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
So it sounds like 2 days to decide the length of suspension, and then if they appeal, a decision is made within 2 days

Within two days of the hearing. The hearing usually doesn't take place right away. Bautista served his suspension two weeks after the incident.

Unfortunately, that timing is perfect for the Orioles: he'll appeal, play ten games against Toronto-Boston-Toronto, then serve his suspension over a bunch of games against San Diego and Tampa Bay.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Within two days of the hearing. The hearing usually doesn't take place right away. Bautista served his suspension two weeks after the incident.

Unfortunately, that timing is perfect for the Orioles: he'll appeal, play ten games against Toronto-Boston-Toronto, then serve his suspension over a bunch of games against San Diego and Tampa Bay.

Right - thought something was wrong there!

What a screwy system. No doubt he'll be suspended so it should start right away....

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Appeals are also sometimes used strategically. If the know that there is likely no chance of the appeal doing anything, but an important series is starting they'll appeal nayways just to delay the suspension.

I see Machado appealing any suspension because of the 2 series against the Jays coming up. With the hope that the appeal won't be heard till after the second Jays series.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Machado suspended 4 games. Seems decent to me since it was mostly entirely Ventura's fault, who deserves like 50 to teach him a lesson but realistically hopefully gets at least 10.

Also appeals shouldn't allowed to be strategic. If you appeal fine, but you can't just drop it whenever you want and serve it during an easy series or interleague series where it doesn't hurt as much. If you choose to appeal then you should not be allowed to drop it later, you'll miss whatever games are coming up on the schedule after the appeal is heard.

and really there should be immediate appeals, not whenever a team goes to New York.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad