OT: MLB Discussion Thread Part XXVII: M*A*S*H Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It's gotten to the point where I'm not sure what Frazier...does, exactly.

He's a terrible defender and his offense is absolutely nothing to build a statue for. At least Andujar can legit bang at the plate.
Frazier’s offensive numbers have been pretty damn good. Not sure what you have been watching Machinehead. Frazier has been especially good with runners in scoring position.

Reactions: darko

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
He's a good player but I just don't see him as a hard "he isn't going anywhere" level of player.

Judge, Sanchez, and Severino are that type of player.

I think a lil bit of perspective is needed here.

Judge and Sanchez's combined MLB stat line after their age 22 seasons: 0

Meanwhile Torres this:

Heck, after Judge's struggles in his major league call up (age 24 season btw), ppl certainly weren't considering him a cornerstone player, just a Richie Sexton clone.

....and Sanchez, weren't you even saying earlier this year that you believed going forward he was going to be more of the player he was last year vs his first year and a half in the league?

At the end of Severino's age 22 season, half the fanbase were willing to shoot him into the moon after he struggled mightily. Most fans thought, at best, he could top out as a 2/3 starter.

Same thing with Andujar. For some reason, people still think these 2 have a lot of value though.

Man, I think putting Frazier in the same boat defensively as Andujar would be lazy by Yankee fans. While he has indeed struggled mightily (in a small sample size btw) since coming to MLB, he was looked at as an at least average prospected CF during his years with Cleveland. In fact his defense was rated a 50 when drafted and there were no obvious struggles in the minors with the Indians/Yankees unlike Andujar whose rough defense through the minors was known and talked about well before his MLB debut.

Reactions: Inferno

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I get that he's 22 but it's not a black and white linear thing.

Judge developed more from 24 to 25 than most guys do in a career.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I get that he's 22 but it's not a black and white linear thing.

Judge developed more from 24 to 25 than most guys do in a career.

Actually I kind of disagree on Judge as he was progressing nicely though the minors. What ppl saw was a small sample size of a guy being introduced to the Majors and struggling and thinking that's the true talent player that he is. He most definitely made a jump in ability beyond what anybody might've thought but the Yankees saw the underlying numbers in the minors and that's why they gave him a shot to win a MLB position the following spring after the horrid debut.

As an aside. I'm a lil worried about Judge's ability to stay healthy going forward. Not going overboard but he's now had three non-contact injuries in just over three years.

2016 = oblique strain ended season
2017 = Shoulder injury that he played through but effecting him the 2nd half until the cortisone shots took effect in sept.
2019 = another oblique strain.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yankees fans are the worst....the absolute worst.

I'm a big Yankees fan...but when it comes to fan bases we are the bottom of the barrel.
I guess were not allowed to be critical of anyone? What is the issue here? We should just smile and be happy even though we havent won this decade?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So will you give him credit then for him taking that close breaking pitch and walking with runners on base to set up the bases loaded? ;)
That was an extremely close breaking pitch for the walk. It could have gone either way. He gets some credit. But still, time and time again he over swings rather than simplifying things, shortening up his swing and punching the ball into the OF to get the job done. Too often be is swinging out of his shoes. He needs to grow up. Realize who he is.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
That was an extremely close breaking pitch for the walk. It could have gone either way. He gets some credit. But still, time and time again he over swings rather than simplifying things, shortening up his swing and punching the ball into the OF to get the job done. Too often be is swinging out of his shoes. He needs to grow up. Realize who he is.

While I agree he should try to learn situational hitting more. Me thinks you are oversimplifying a difficult thing to do.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
While I agree he should try to learn situational hitting more. Me thinks you are oversimplifying a difficult thing to do.
Asking a hitter to not overswing and shorten up his swing to have a better approach has nothing to do with oversimplifying a difficult thing. Its the very essence of the school of hitting.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Gonna be tough to say goodbye to Maybin. He filled in perfectly.

Should dump Cessa, even with them using the opener for the time, still have Hale and Cortes for after the opener, when games are out of hand etc...

I would send Tauchman and Frazier down, DFA Cessa as the three moves.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Asking a hitter to not overswing and shorten up his swing to have a better approach has nothing to do with oversimplifying a difficult thing. Its the very essence of the school of hitting.
Yet a whole bunch of talented hitters cant do it effectively.

So yeah, you must think they all must be stubborn cause girls dig the long ball and I think that I'll side on the players that have gone on record to say that it can mess with their swing and while it's indeed in the school of hitting...the school of hitting major league pitchers is hard, even for a talented major league hitter.

It's cool, just a difference of opinion. Even if he never learns the skill I'll take Torres going forward without it.

Reactions: darko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad