OT: MLB Discussion Thread Part XXVI: Batteries Reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’m not arguing for him. I’m just saying he has played there. If anything, that’s the easiest position on the field to learn brand new.

I agree that its the easiest position to learn, but thats not something that I'd want to bank on, especially with the 300+ million that you'd be paying for him.

I'd take Machado on a short term deal (or a long term one really) but if they pass there, they better be hell bent on giving Arenado what ever the hell he wants.

Reactions: RGY

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I agree that its the easiest position to learn, but thats not something that I'd want to bank on, especially with the 300+ million that you'd be paying for him.

I'd take Machado on a short term deal (or a long term one really) but if they pass there, they better be hell bent on giving Arenado what ever the hell he wants.

I’d rather give it to Machado. A year younger, proven hitter in the AL East more specifically Yankee Stadium and Fenway park and he HATES the Red Sox.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I still dont see the fit for Machado. Sure you can move Andujar to DH and Stanton to LF, but is Stanton going to make us worse defensively out there? Again LF in Yankee Stadium is difficult to play. Also, at age 24 you have made Andujar a full time DH practically. Because where does he get games in the field? We would have DJ LeMahieu being the one rotating in at 2B and 3B giving Machado/Tulo/Torres rest days. Then when Didi comes back...i mean there is just no room. You ruin Andujar’s value if you do want to trade him at some point because he has barely played the field. Stanton will be 29? Him DHing more with his physique makes much more sense. He can rotate in giving the OFers rest. Harper in LF, Hicks in CF, and Judge in RF. Gardner and Frazier on the bench. Frazier could eventually be the CFer when Hicks moves on.

And lets just be real here, we paid $12 million for an insurance policy with LeMahieu.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why wouldn't we just DH Harper in that scenario?

He's demonstratively the worst fielder in that group.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I still dont see the fit for Machado. Sure you can move Andujar to DH and Stanton to LF, but is Stanton going to make us worse defensively out there? Again LF in Yankee Stadium is difficult to play. Also, at age 24 you have made Andujar a full time DH practically. Because where does he get games in the field? We would have DJ LeMahieu being the one rotating in at 2B and 3B giving Machado/Tulo/Torres rest days. Then when Didi comes back...i mean there is just no room. You ruin Andujar’s value if you do want to trade him at some point because he has barely played the field. Stanton will be 29? Him DHing more with his physique makes much more sense. He can rotate in giving the OFers rest. Harper in LF, Hicks in CF, and Judge in RF. Gardner and Frazier on the bench. Frazier could eventually be the CFer when Hicks moves on.

And lets just be real here, we paid $12 million for an insurance policy with LeMahieu.

Tulo would get released. He's not gonna stand in the way of a Machado signing lol

And Stanton is actually rated as a good fielder.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Tulo would get released. He's not gonna stand in the way of a Machado signing lol

And Stanton is actually rated as a good fielder.
If Stanton was that good he would have gotten more games out there as Gardner continued to have a terrible season last year.

Tulo is dirt cheap. They are going with him for SS.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If Stanton was that good he would have gotten more games out there as Gardner continued to have a terrible season last year.

Gardner is still an excellent OF.

I don't want a dude that big lumbering around LF at Yankee Stadium.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

Check his career stats, Stanton isn't like a JD Martinez type butcher out there in LF. And he actually did get decent games out in LF last season.

Tulo is a cheap flyer. He isn't standing in the way of a Machado signing (if it happens)

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Judge and Stanton are both above-average compared to statcast sprint speed. For guys their size thats impressive

Interestingly, it's not that much about foot speed. Both Judge (27.7 ft/sec) and Stanton (27.5 ft/sec) rate as similarly above average (27.0 ft/sec) in Sprint Speed, Statcast™'s top speed metric.
When Stanton and Judge are both available, and neither one is at DH that day, the Yanks will have to make a choice. With strong cases for either side, there's not a slam dunk or a wrong answer here. When that day comes, however, the slightly stronger case seems to be for Judge to make the walk to the other side of the field. He's younger, faster and has better range, and Yankee Stadium's left field is simply larger. Until further notice, it's still Gardner's job. He'll just have a very large teammate to share it with.

Aaron Judge or Giancarlo Stanton may play left

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
There is a reason the Yankees have loaded their roster with RH bats. The need for a lefty is overrated.

True, the reason is they are damn good offensive baseball players. Last years team rankings against RHPs:

AVG: .254 (7th)
OBP: .330 (4th)
SLG: .471 (2nd)
wRC+: 115 (2nd)

Just another couple of stats from last year: The MLB average team strikeout percentage was 22.3%. The Yankees were at 22.6% (17th). They also led the league in sacrifice flys with 59.

Bubba Crosby hit a homerun.

So did Slade Heathcott

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
True, the reason is they are damn good offensive baseball players. Last years team rankings against RHPs:

AVG: .254 (7th)
OBP: .330 (4th)
SLG: .471 (2nd)
wRC+: 115 (2nd)

Just another couple of stats from last year: The MLB average team strikeout percentage was 22.3%. The Yankees were at 22.6% (17th). They also led the league in sacrifice flys with 59.

So did Slade Heathcott

This was an awesome moment.

When he's retired he'll just be a regular guy, but you can never take this away from him.

Reactions: JCProdigy

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Aaron Judge ain't fast for his size. Aaron Judge is just fast.

I wouldn't call him fast per say. What he does have is excellent baseball IQ and that reflects on his running. Perfect example is when he's going 1st to 3rd on a single.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I wouldn't call him fast per say. What he does have is excellent baseball IQ and that reflects on his running. Perfect example is when he's going 1st to 3rd on a single.
True, I mean, he's not exactly blazing.

Pretty quick player though. Not slow for any size.

Reactions: darko

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Yeah it sucks on Heathcott because the injury bug derailed his career pretty early. He was always a premier athlete and toolsy but the damn guy was hurt even before Yankees drafted him (ACL and shoulder). It says on his wiki that he retired and became a pilot so there's that at least!

Crappy bit of trivia: The Yanks drafted Heathcott with the 29th pick which was a compensation pick for failing to sign Gerrit Cole. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad