OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
The choice is his as to whether or not he wants to go, I can't see him moving to third and being happy about it.

And while not finalized, the pieces going to Seattle have been public for a while now.
If it's important to him I imagine it's something that can be put in writing. He probably has more control over playing 2B with the Mets than the Mariners.

I know the players involved have been reported but not all of them are going to be included in the trade, from what I read. Time will tell but as with all things Mets, I begin hopeful with an expectation of getting screwed.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If it's important to him I imagine it's something that can be put in writing. He probably has more control over playing 2B with the Mets than the Mariners.

I know the players involved have been reported but not all of them are going to be included in the trade, from what I read. Time will tell but as with all things Mets, I begin hopeful with an expectation of getting screwed.

Pretty much everyone has said it will be Bruce, Swarzak, Dunn, Kelenic and Bautista.

You kept McNeil.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Buster Olney was just on ESPN radio saying it's closer to $20m than 60m retained.

I guess the fairest thing to do would be to let the offseason play out and see what other moves they're making.

I have a hard time doing that though.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Joel Sherman discussed the Mets trade on MLB Network last night.

Sherman brought up the Braves having to attach Kimbrel to move the Upton contract in 2015.

John Hart could have acquired 3 top 100 prospects for Kimbrel as a stand alone trade.

The Mets could get a ton for Diaz. There are teams willing to trade for Diaz without having to take on Cano. If they are out of the race in the summer, they could flip Diaz and acquire better prospects than what they gave up. Or they keep Diaz if they are in the race. The guy is under control for a while. They could get 3 top Baseball America prospects for Diaz. More than they gave up. Another way of looking at the trade.

Reactions: E-Train

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Buster Olney was just on ESPN radio saying it's closer to $20m than 60m retained.

I guess the fairest thing to do would be to let the offseason play out and see what other moves they're making.

I have a hard time doing that though.

the other moves will be full of disappointment and focused on saving the most $$

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Mets also resigned Dilson Herrera who looked kind of decent when he was called up back in 2014. I find it amusing how him and Jay Bruce always seem to be ships sailing in the night.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
adding kelenic to this deal makes it a no go for me.

hes universally viewed as a pure bat. kid can flat out rake.

then again, once upon a time, dom smith was viewed as a cant miss too.

still dont do it. pass

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
adding kelenic to this deal makes it a no go for me.

hes universally viewed as a pure bat. kid can flat out rake.

then again, once upon a time, dom smith was viewed as a cant miss too.

still dont do it. pass

Ehhh i dont know about that. From the time he was drafted on there was a lot of "Raw power but..." and concerns about his conditioning. He never seemed like a can't miss prospect.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So how Met fans like the trade?

You're getting Cano at a discount but in the end, you're still trading 2 of your top prospects for a 36 year old and a closer. Prospects aren't sure things and we tend to overrate them but I feel like if I was giving up such high end prospects, I'd want a stud position player like JT Realmuto instead of an older guy and a closer.

Diaz is nasty and has some control but he's still a closer who only gets 3 outs on the days he goes.

Reactions: Cassano

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So how Met fans like the trade?

You're getting Cano at a discount but in the end, you're still trading 2 of your top prospects for a 36 year old and a closer. Prospects aren't sure things and we tend to overrate them but I feel like if I was giving up such high end prospects, I'd want a stud position player like JT Realmuto instead of an older guy and a closer.

Diaz is nasty and has some control but he's still a closer who only gets 3 outs on the days he goes.

Oh but hes so much fun to watch.

His save opps are must watch TV.

I don't think the Mets have much to tempt Miami with for Realmuto that they'd be willing to part with. The price is going to be higher as its in division and some of the names who have been rumored for him (like Tucker and Sanchez) are either close to major league ready or have already been successful at the MLB level. A low level guy (as in where he played) and a guy who likely ends up a reliever probably doesn't do much for them - They need someone who can play next year.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Ehhh i dont know about that. From the time he was drafted on there was a lot of "Raw power but..." and concerns about his conditioning. He never seemed like a can't miss prospect.

The only concerns I've heard about Kelenic is that he may lose some speed if he fills out his frame. He has the arm to play corner OF.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The Mets would be nuts to flip Diaz unless we are talking 2020 and deGrom has refused to re sign along with Wheeler and Syndergaard has been traded and you’re now 25 games under but even if they are 27-63 at the deadline they would never move him this year

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I don't mind it as a Mets fan. Kelenic and Dunn are solid prospects, but Diaz is absolute money with 4 years of team control. Could easily flip him for some better prospects if necessary.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i just can't get past the fact that the cano deal is 100% about the $$ the wilpon's are saving and the fact that i know not a penny of it will be reinvested into the team. i just wish once the mets would make a move based on a baseball decision and not the wilpon's madoff recovery plan

Reactions: Crease

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't mind it as a Mets fan. Kelenic and Dunn are solid prospects, but Diaz is absolute money with 4 years of team control. Could easily flip him for some better prospects if necessary.

Relievers are NEVER $. They're easily the most volatile commodity in baseball.

Kelenic is more than solid, hes a stud. He's far away, but a stud none the less. Dunn otoh I've never been high on. Think at his best, he's a worse version of Diaz IMO, no big loss there.

Regardless, even with the money being exchanged, I think its a pretty big risk. You're adding a IF who is closer to 40 than he is to 30 coming off of a PED suspension and a closer who I love, but is still only good for 3 outs.

I think as an isolated move, I'd probably score this a comfortable win for Seattle but who knows how the rest of this winter shakes out for the Mets.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
should include mcneil instead of kelenic since mcneil will now be on the bench behind a 40 year old cano

Reactions: jas

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Relievers are NEVER $. They're easily the most volatile commodity in baseball.

Kelenic is more than solid, hes a stud. He's far away, but a stud none the less. Dunn otoh I've never been high on. Think at his best, he's a worse version of Diaz IMO, no big loss there.

Regardless, even with the money being exchanged, I think its a pretty big risk. You're adding a IF who is closer to 40 than he is to 30 coming off of a PED suspension and a closer who I love, but is still only good for 3 outs.

I think as an isolated move, I'd probably score this a comfortable win for Seattle but who knows how the rest of this winter shakes out for the Mets.

Meh, I still don't mind it. Diaz was lights out last year. I'm thinking he'll do the same in NY if not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad