OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
This trade happens because the owner doesn't want to spend money in free agency.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
How many good years do you think cano has in him?

I love Diaz but relievers are such a risky gamble. I don’t understand the logic behind this move.

Do people hate Cano for leaving the Yankees or the PED suspension? He’s still a great hitter - probably the second best at 2B after Altuve, still a good defender, has not shown any signs of decline at all yet. Trading both Kelenic and Dunn would be bad but not as bad as the takes on Kelenic saying he has an “above average player floor” and is a future Yelich.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It’s to sell tickets. Being relevant and making money is the goal.

I’m fed up with them but I sure as f*** will never root for the Yankees. The Wilpons have just made me hate baseball in general.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If DeGrom and Syndergaard stay Mets are a playoff team.
I disagree.

They still have to jump the Phillies and Braves who have young players that performed last year and likely will only get better. Those teams also have better and more in the pipeline. Plus they might add during FA

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah honestly Atlanta looks like they’re ready to run that division again.

I guess WC is possible, but again that really depends on rotation health.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Last year the Mets spent the 7th most money in FA.
The year before the Mets spent the 3rd most money in FA.
The year before that the Mets spent the 12th most money in FA.

The narrative that the Wilpon's have not spent money in FA is false. They have just spent it poorly.

Source: MLB

Reactions: Cassano

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I guess if everyone’s healthy they could be. This is pretty good offensively.

OF- Nimmo, Conforto, Cespedes
1B - Cano
2B - McNeil
SS - Rosario
3B - Frazier
C- Plawecki/FA

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Can someone explain this trade to me? Basically you're throwing your scouting under the bus. A team that needs youth is trading away a lot of youth.

There's a new administration in the FO. They don't have loyalty to the pieces that were there beforehand. Maybe the new guys have gone through the system and aren't high on these guys.

The fair questions are: if they don't like these prospects, is this the best way to use them? And why are they have to include one or both of them? Are they including them because of money?

I can't take this GM seriously. He already looks like the "love interests boyfriend/husband who turns out to be a cheater or con man" in movies. This screams of "hey he was my client, he's a good player" nonsense.

Ok....

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

1B - Cano
2B - McNeil
SS - Rosario
3B - Frazier
C- Plawecki/FA

Take out Cespedes because he may never be healthy. McNeil to third, Cano to second and Frazier to first. Still need to get a catcher.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
They all became overpaid albatrosses shortly after their acquisitions.

This rumored deal is terrible for the Mets. The guy they picked 6th last yr to take on Cano's terrible contract and a reliever when guys like Kimbrel, Miller,DRob are available. And the Syndergaard rumors to top it off is even worse. I would be worried about the FO if these decisions come to fruition.
Those relievers are going to get Cano-lite contracts. As long as Mets keep Kelenic I'm good with the deal. I like McNeil but he turns 27 in April and he's just as likely to be a 1 year wonder. Mets have a history of overpaying for relievers and overhyping their prospects. DeGrom came out of nowhere and Syndergaard was a throw in to get TDA. Our top prospects haven't produced a whole lot, though I'm still hopeful on Conforto.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

1B - Cano
2B - McNeil
SS - Rosario
3B - Frazier
C- Plawecki/FA

I have no idea on the defensive alignment as Frazier could play 1b and McNeil cam play all over .

Cano should really go to 3B in my opinion

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Those relievers are going to get Cano-lite contracts. As long as Mets keep Kelenic I'm good with the deal. I like McNeil but he turns 27 in April and he's just as likely to be a 1 year wonder. Mets have a history of overpaying for relievers and overhyping their prospects. DeGrom came out of nowhere and Syndergaard was a throw in to get TDA. Our top prospects haven't produced a whole lot, though I'm still hopeful on Conforto.

They're not.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
One of the biggest overlooked issues with this deal is that it will result in McNeil being benched for a guy who is 36 and also strongly indicates Alonso will likely be traded as well

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Do people hate Cano for leaving the Yankees or the PED suspension? He’s still a great hitter - probably the second best at 2B after Altuve, still a good defender, has not shown any signs of decline at all yet. Trading both Kelenic and Dunn would be bad but not as bad as the takes on Kelenic saying he has an “above average player floor” and is a future Yelich.

No one 'hates him'. People don't just don't see value in a mid-late 30's middle infielder who's owed 9 figures over half a decade like you do. You're a stats guy, you should know that his current age curve is bound for severe regression.

Looks like the mets are giving up two top prospects/players+, I expect you will be taking back your comments on the guy.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
There's a new administration in the FO. They don't have loyalty to the pieces that were there beforehand. Maybe the new guys have gone through the system and aren't high on these guys.

The fair questions are: if they don't like these prospects, is this the best way to use them? And why are they have to include one or both of them? Are they including them because of money?

Ok....
You said money and the Wilpons, it explains everything.

And the other thing, my humor isn't for everyone I guess.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
One of the biggest overlooked issues with this deal is that it will result in McNeil being benched for a guy who is 36 and also strongly indicates Alonso will likely be traded as well

Neither of those things are true.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Last year the Mets spent the 7th most money in FA.
The year before the Mets spent the 3rd most money in FA.
The year before that the Mets spent the 12th most money in FA.

The narrative that the Wilpon's have not spent money in FA is false. They have just spent it poorly.

Source: MLB

All of that is true.

The issue is that they’re shortsighted with FA. They don’t want long term deals or big signings. Part of it is spending bad, but a lot of that is bc they’d rather sign a few vets to short term deals they can get out of if need be and never make a splash.

And that’s not a baseball strategy. It’s a business strategy. Bc they’re financially poor. They’re not refusing a Harper and spending equal on a Bruce/Vargas/Older Fa package for 3 years bc they’re idiots per say. It’s bc they don’t wanna commit to anyone long term. They’re not liquid and they’re in big debt. Everything is done like a corporation does.

That may make your club financially relevant consistently, but it’s not gonna win you anything. And I don’t think they really care. Which is sad.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I don’t see how you play McNeil and if Cano is here long term he likely gets moved to first.

McNeil has played 3rd, even for the Mets.

Cano played 3rd last year and I don't see any reason why he couldn't move from 2nd to 3rd over the next few years. He has the arm strength to play the position and with shifts, range isn't a huge deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad